Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Steel Shot Ballast

Are others getting rust spots in their boat from using steel shot ballast? I mostly use these bags on top of the seats and am getting rust spots between seat cushions and below them.

I'm running Wake Life Ballast and was wondering if other brands don't have this issue.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I have a different brand. Out of 1K, I probably have 2-3 bags with some small rust spots on the outside. I do not put them on the seats. Mainly under the seats on the fiberglass and lockers - both are fiberglass. I have a few hundred #s that sit on the floor. Gatorstep is not showing anything.
    2018 Supra SL400

I use Lead Wake which has a sealed plastic bag inside the outer canvas bag. My lead bags are under my ballast bags and under the bow cushions. I haven’t noticed any rust from them. Might be that Wake Life doesn’t use a secondary sealed bag but not sure of their construction vs Lead Wake.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Also using lead wake with no rust issues so far, season 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

That was mine too, Lead Wake with only a few bags with some rust spots.
    500#s are probably 5 years old bags. I think these are the ones w/rust spots.
    500#s are probably 3 year old bags.
    2018 Supra SL400

An advantage of lead is that it doesn't rust. If it is exposed to low acid or high salt water, you may see a dark gray corrosion, but if you see typical red rust, it has been contaminated with steel. Plus lead is denser than steel, which makes it nicer for ballasting. On the downside, it has health effects if ingested or breathed that steel does not.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

I would be surprised if any companies are using actual lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if you could get lead, but Wakemakers is only providing steel.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

I was watching a Wake9 video and noticed some of the bags were rust colored, I'm sure those bags have been moved around a ton.
    I'm going to try and put my bags in dry bags, I just need to figure out which size works best.

Quote Originally Posted by cucv View Post
    I was watching a Wake9 video and noticed some of the bags were rust colored, I'm sure those bags have been moved around a ton.
    I'm going to try and put my bags in dry bags, I just need to figure out which size works best.

I'm curious how this will work. It seems like a good idea... Especially for any bags that aren't being moved around. But if you're having to move them, you lose access to the handle/straps on the bags. Which would be a pain. I haven't noticed any rust on mine but when I do take them out of the boat (for winter)... They absolutely have a distinct fishy lake smell.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    2005 Moomba Outback DD - SOLD
    2020 Moomba Max