Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sticky thread with equivalent automotive parts that fit our engines?

I know some things should be marine specific for safety reason but stuff like distributor cap / rotor / fuel filters / plug wires etc

Does anyone have or is there already a thread where some have started to document part numbers that interchange so we don’t get hosed by having to buy the marked up marine version?

There is not a dedicated forum thread for this, but most of us have helped each other out with this exact thing.

My 2015 MOJO I have a Google doc that I store fluid types, spark plugs, belts, etc. part numbers that I have crossed already.

So....what do you need?
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    There is not a dedicated forum thread for this, but most of us have helped each other out with this exact thing.

My 2015 MOJO I have a Google doc that I store fluid types, spark plugs, belts, etc. part numbers that I have crossed already.

So....what do you need?
    Thanks

I’ve got a 2010 lsv with your basic assault 325. I’ve got most of the basic maintenance items covered but now looking at doing the items mentioned above for a little deeper maintenance dive

Spark plug wires (anything different other than the special cut length on the marine version?)
    Cap and rotor
    Fuel filter

Anything else that’s suggested to replace with mid of the road type hours on the engine?

Not sure my plug wires are "marine" rated. I changed plugs last season and inspected the wires. They look like standard high performance 8mm wires for a Raptor f150. My old boat had cap, rotor, etc. Only difference from marine and auto was a small anti-rust coating and the price. The coil was different. The mechanical fuel pump had a ground wire on the marine version and cost 4x what the auto version was.
    Be careful though some things need to be marine rated. I'm sure the fuel filter is something you can get at a parts store. 325 is chevy based so not to bad to cross parts.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

had to buy similar parts for the old supra that had the ext340 cat motor. found plug wires on ebay new for a steal and the rest of the stuff came from dealer. they weren't gouging too much back then.

i'd be cautious on the fuel filter if you don't have any issues with vaporlock. the older boats are notorious for it and it all stems from filter/pump location. if you have no issues, keep it factory to ensure it stays issue-free. my .02 anyway

not much else to replace until you start tossing codes for burned out sensors.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Anyone know the equivelant to the:

556345GM
    and

I would take my OEM parts to the auto parts store but I don't have access to the boat for awhile.

I tried searching online but didn't see any cross reference.

When I look at similar images it looks like the

Quicksilver 8M0061335 1 Distributor Cap and 1 Rotor

is very similar, and I could probably cross reference that one.

Quote Originally Posted by loudsubz View Post
    Anyone know the equivelant to the:

556345GM
    and

I would take my OEM parts to the auto parts store but I don't have access to the boat for awhile.

I tried searching online but didn't see any cross reference.

When I look at similar images it looks like the

Quicksilver 8M0061335 1 Distributor Cap and 1 Rotor

is very similar, and I could probably cross reference that one.
    Search your local autoparts store for 1999 Chevy Silverado 5.7L 350 parts.
    Cap and rotor should be identical or damn close being "non-marine". Again, if the marine version is different for safety, no way would I use auto parts.

However, I needed a mechanical fuel pump for a 3.0L 4cyl mercruiser motor once and the 2.8L camaro pump was the exact same for 1/4 the price and in-stock at my local NAPA. Just have to check and be safe!
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    Search your local autoparts store for 1999 Chevy Silverado 5.7L 350 parts.
    Cap and rotor should be identical or damn close being "non-marine". Again, if the marine version is different for safety, no way would I use auto parts.

However, I needed a mechanical fuel pump for a 3.0L 4cyl mercruiser motor once and the 2.8L camaro pump was the exact same for 1/4 the price and in-stock at my local NAPA. Just have to check and be safe!
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for (a starter reference to a make/model of the equivalent car/truck to base the parts off of).

I've read input from Larry (the indmar guy) and he even said the cap/rotor is no different for the marine version, there's only some changes within the distributor itself so there's no safety issues with it.

Hey Loud,

The Assualt 325 is based on the GM Vortec 5700 platform. Basically a truck motor that has been marine fitted. 1999/2000 was the last year for that engine before everything became LS based.

If you need plugs, wires, etc. should be the same deal.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow