Sorry for starting a new thread on Rudders and Cables. Just can't find anything too related to this experience. Some back ground with my 2005/2006 boats.

Owned a 2005 Mobius LS Direct Drive for 10 years, beautiful boat, changed steering cable when it got stiff (~2016 - 10 year old boat maybe). Not too hard, the RACK and pinion, 4-bolts, and the rudder bolt etc. Fish cable (easy) getting it to the wheel under floor and turning the boxed had bit hard. DIY can easily do it.

Upgraded to a 2006 LSV last year 2022 (old but familiar), steering was stiff when I bought it, figured no problem change the cable like I did on the LS. Well, it helped a little bit, but old cable I think was fine. Cable was easier to change in the LSV vs the LS too. I lucked out I thought. NOT.

In the water, with new cable, it turned well to starboard side, turning to port still stiff. Surfing on the PORT side with suck-gate made it very very difficult to turn to port. I FIGURED THIS IS PROB DUE TO RUDDER PLAY and/or lack of Grease.

There is no grease fitting on this non serviceable rudder box, it has a graphite bushing. Rudder was tight - no play, but preceded to buy a new rudder box over the winter.

2023... Installed new box, shaft cleaned up and no issues with re-install. 5200 sealant used. Old box came out... looked like silicone sealant which made me think previous owner may have effed with this. Old box bushing had some visible wear, overall did not look to bad. Anyways... driving one week now, with a brand new rudder box, and THE STEERIGN STILL SUCKS. It's stiff.

Questions/Observations:
1) Maybe new rudder box needs some time, with being in the water (water helps lube it I think).
2) No lubricant was used, as per the install instructions.
3) Cable is brand new, last season, with no binding that I can see.
4) Rudder was easy to turn by hand when cable was not on it.
5) once cable was on the rudder, you could turn the rudder by hand (I was checking movement) and was bit stiff but easily turning by hand.
6) Turning the wheel, when everything was new and replaced made me say "whoa this feels nothing like my LS" and everything is new
7) Design flaw? At least you can leave the helm and walk around the boat with no fear of getting tossed, but you have to two hand this thing.... at 3000 RPM, 25MPH, the steering is actually smooth and crisp. Easier to turn at this speed than cruise idle speed.

Anyone have any similar experiences on an older LSV?

Thanks, Rob