Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lake Powell boat fires

I hope this didn't get any of you guys on here. Not that I would want it to get anyone period.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...7-2a5498836f8c

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I saw this as well yesterday, yikes! I know Zog has a houseboat down there but I think he's in Bullfrog? At least I hope so. Very sad, but glad it wasn't worse. Imagine if it had spread to the gas dock!
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    I saw this as well yesterday, yikes! I know Zog has a houseboat down there but I think he's in Bullfrog? At least I hope so. Very sad, but glad it wasn't worse. Imagine if it had spread to the gas dock!
    We are at Hall’s so it we were not impacted. It is really horrible though. Those boats have hundreds of gallons of gas between main and toy tanks that just fuel the fires. It is one of my worst nightmares about boating down there.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

colorado river is such a pristine place especially as you go west along the "bend" to the GC. hope the fuel that didn't burn was contained in the tanks...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

So sad what happened at Wahweap. I feel sick for the people who lost boats and their summer vacations. Thankfully it sounds like there were no injuries.

Antelope Point Marina had their own fire on Memorial Day. Luckily, a neighboring boat was able to move out of the way almost immediately and the marina staff was able to get the fire out pretty quickly: https://youtu.be/4hcadyVstrA
    2022 Supra SL550 (current)
    2019 Adonia (75' houseboat at Lake Powell - current)
    2021 Tige Z3 (past)
    2020 SL400 (past)
    Idaho

Quote Originally Posted by mmmkay View Post
    So sad what happened at Wahweap. I feel sick for the people who lost boats and their summer vacations. Thankfully it sounds like there were no injuries.

Antelope Point Marina had their own fire on Memorial Day. Luckily, a neighboring boat was able to move out of the way almost immediately and the marina staff was able to get the fire out pretty quickly: https://youtu.be/4hcadyVstrA
    Wow, they put that fire out pretty quickly. Takes some gonads to be a on burning boat, watched a yacht catch on fire and had a mini-explosion. Scary site.

Looks like it could have started around that sitting area for the fire pit area.
    2018 Supra SL400

Wow is an understatment for that! Could have ended much worse. Those guys need to be praised for that response! Great work on getting it out quickly. That could have spread to the entire dock! I'd hate to even guess what that loss would have been.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

As an officer at a volunteer fire department I see that video through a slightly different lens. Those people boarded that boat with thick black smoke with absolutely no PPE and likely no training on internal firefighting tactics and rescues.. That scene could have easily turned tragic only to save property that is likely well insured.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2slow View Post
    As an officer at a volunteer fire department I see that video through a slightly different lens. Those people boarded that boat with thick black smoke with absolutely no PPE and likely no training on internal firefighting tactics and rescues.. That scene could have easily turned tragic only to save property that is likely well insured.
    There is a forum I frequent with a bunch of other Lake Powell people and there is a lot of anger about the fire and response. A firefighter on vacation was one of the first people onsite and had to rescue a marina employee from the end of one of the slips as the fire closed in around her. He jumped into action to try to fight the fire but there was no functioning hose, pump, water supply, etc. The firefighting boat was in the shop for an engine replacement. It is all pretty appalling and the only reason more boats didn't burn is because of the fast action of a number of people who worked to get boats off the slips and away from danger. The boats that did burn didn't have time to get away from the flames and nearly every one is a total loss. One of the boats that was on fire was pushed out of its slip so it wouldn't endanger other boats and it drifted into another slip, starting that boat on fire before eventually drifting into the breakwater. The fire on the other boat was extinguished by the fire fighter mentioned earlier and others using a bunch of fire extinguishers.

In all, the marina was lucky as it could have been far worse. I hope there will be a lot of rethinking of fire prevention on all Lake Powell from here on out.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    In all, the marina was lucky as it could have been far worse. I hope there will be a lot of rethinking of fire prevention on all Lake Powell from here on out.
    Agree, but I wish all Marinas would rethink this when they have these larger yachts and houseboats that carry the big amounts of fuel sitting side-by-side.
    Fire extinguishers sound like a knife at a gun fight.
    2018 Supra SL400