Thread: Audio Battery

Default Audio Battery

I need to replace my battery for my audio system I had bought one years ago at the marina because I was in a pinch not sure if it was the correct one to get since the one I got was a marine cranking battery.

So I guess my question is should I be getting a deep cycle marine batt or a marine cranking batt? The battery I had been using for audio was an interstate with 800 cold cranking amps 1000mca.
    I'm only using factory speakers and 2 tower speakers and a sub with 2 amps.

Thank you
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

For better anchor play time, a dee-cycle is best for a house bank. You want to look at its Ah and ignore CCA/MCA values.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    For better anchor play time, a dee-cycle is best for a house bank. You want to look at its Ah and ignore CCA/MCA values.
    Ah ok thank you. I'm clueless as to what Ah I should be putting in there. I think a battery I found around the same size was 65ah
    Should I go higher? I don't do much anchoring or tie ups. Mostly just surfing
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

With some calculations, you estimate the needed amp/hours to run a given load for a given time. A battery of a given type and group size, will typically have very close Ah. So to really make an increase in Ah, you have to go up in group size or add a 2nd identical to the existing group size. This may require a larger box or tray, or even reorient the battery position.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirhiht View Post
    Should I go higher? I don't do much anchoring or tie ups. Mostly just surfing
    mla is right in there's plenty of math to show what you ideally need.
    for me, we always used the interstate deep cycles that came with the boat from the dealer for our 3 new purchases. all boats came with similar crank/deep cycle. I added an additional deep cycle in 2 of the 3 due to wanting long play times during the day but our last tige had the basic interstate deep cycle single battery and had no issues powering 1 ws and 2 arc audio amps at moderate volume levels for 2-3hrs at a time.
    our only used boat, the z3, had a HUGE stereo system with 4 amps and 16 speakers running off a single deep cycle. we didn't use it much for cove listening, mainly surfing and no issues with it as well.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten