Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New ported enclosure build.

We never store anything under this seat since it’s troublesome to get to. This is a 20x20x8 external dim ported enclosure. 1.5x14x6.5 slot port. Nets right at 1 cuft for the sub and is tuned just under 35 Hz. 1 qt Raptor liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold
    https://www.youtube.com/GreaseMonkeyTV

Cultist for 3/4” MDF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold
    https://www.youtube.com/GreaseMonkeyTV

looks good.

my only comment would be to ditch alll or part of the 4 "legs" that look to be made out of mdf and replace with hdpe cut into the same size. it never fails that water will get up in that area at some point. that'll keep the wood from being up against wet/moist/damp flooring even with linex.

otherwise let the tunes rock....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    looks good.

my only comment would be to ditch alll or part of the 4 "legs" that look to be made out of mdf and replace with hdpe cut into the same size. it never fails that water will get up in that area at some point. that'll keep the wood from being up against wet/moist/damp flooring even with linex.

otherwise let the tunes rock....
    The uncoated inside bothers me more. The humid environment will take its toll on the MDF in a season or 2, due to the open port.

Great work! How does it sound?

For what you have in it, if the box last 2 years it will be good enough. More than likely will last longer. Just make sure to leave the seat off when being stored to allow the area to breathe.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

For what you have in it, if the box last 2 years it will be good enough. More than likely will last longer. Just make sure to leave the seat off when being stored to allow the area to breathe.
    Are you familiar with story of the frog dropped in boiling water v's the frog dropped in cold water that the burner is then turned on? The uncoated MDF wood is the later.

The MDF will start to soak up moisture day-1. So the enclosure wont explode in one to two seasons, but slowly over time, it will swell on the side. As it does, the frequency of the enclosure will slowly change. Eventually, the owner will either finally notice the change in the woofer's performance or the external shape of the enclosure change. At this point, it may be season 3 or 4. But the change is slow, so its takes time. Like a frog coming to boil when the water started at cold.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Are you familiar with story of the frog dropped in boiling water v's the frog dropped in cold water that the burner is then turned on? The uncoated MDF wood is the later.

The MDF will start to soak up moisture day-1. So the enclosure wont explode in one to two seasons, but slowly over time, it will swell on the side. As it does, the frequency of the enclosure will slowly change. Eventually, the owner will either finally notice the change in the woofer's performance or the external shape of the enclosure change. At this point, it may be season 3 or 4. But the change is slow, so its takes time. Like a frog coming to boil when the water started at cold.
    Very familiar with this concept. However, are you familiar with letting a sleeping dog lie?

This man went through the time to build something for his own personal gain and enjoy it. Instead of belittling his efforts with arrogant and condensending comments on how it was not to your standards, you could appreciate his willing to share the work with us. Regardless of your opinion the MDF will work for several years at which the low cost of materials will not be a problem to replace. Hell, it might be a reason to upgrade.

I understand your vast knowledge of audio systems and upgrades. I understand you have your own shop and offer forum members deals and sound advice. I have agreed with you more than once on this platform, but cannot get over your passive aggressive arrogance.

Have a good weekend my dude.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

first boat. 3/4" mdf sealed enclosure coated just like the OP running a 12w6. built in spring '08 and sold boat in summer '12. used it under the helm as a foot stool most outings. box was still solid and believe it or not, that boat came back up for sale this spring at prestige watersports(where we traded it in) again and guess what. same 12 under the helm in the same box.
    last tige z3. had a 13w7 that was installed 4 years before we purchased from a guy in oklahoma and system was installed by a shop that has a pretty decent rep amongst the boating community. in same locker as op's box. bought in '19 and sold in '21. box was vented and built out of mdf.
    still solid the day we sold the boat. heard this spring the kid that bought it is still using same sub/box.

this is just as widespread as the discussions to only use marine equipment with conformal coatings on the boards. thousands upon thousands having no issues but many still like to push that it's one of the 7 sins..
    and oh ya... our '12 tige that had an exile zld in it? still running as of last fall. I've been waiting for David at Earmark to buy me lunch. said it would last 2 years tops...

Regardless of your opinion the MDF will work for several years
    Its not an opinion

Scott, you are worried about the bedliner coated feet, yet think im over reacting about the uncoated inside of the ported MDF box?

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post

Scott, you are worried about the bedliner coated feet, yet think im over reacting about the uncoated inside of the ported MDF box?
    yup. will it rot? yes. eventually everthing wood does. will it do it in 2 years? nope, unless he fills the box with water. my money says it'll outlast both he and the next owner. based on the pics it's a pretty bad-arse build that should hold up to years of pounding.