Default Prop Shaft Issue

So this happened this weekend. My prop shaft came out of the coupler. Not sure if the nut broke or just came loose, I haven't gotten into it yet.

When I get the the coupler off and if I can get another Nylox nut, can I mate the shaftback to the coupler and use it or do I need a new shaft/coupler. I've read that these are balanced so not sure if I can repair or need to replace.

Sorry that the pics are upsode down, but I spent 20 minutes trying to get them rotated and have given up.

moomba 2.jpg

Moomba1.jpg
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

So....that should never happen.

Did someone service your boat recently? The shaft is tapered which makes it easy to get in but not out. Also my 2015 that nut is torqued 65-70lb-ft. I also remember it being keyed into the coupler.
    The shaft is a balanced unit but I would be concerned with run-out causing vibrations (not straight).

Might want to check your shaft seal while it is apart. That coupling is the hardest part when replacing the seal and your boat did it for you...lol.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

I haven't had any service done in probably 5 years.

There is a key on the shaft/coupler. I guess I'll check the shaft seal, replace if necessary and put it all back together.

Any idea where I can get a new brass nylox nut for the shaft?

Thanks for you input.
    Last edited by ghebert1111; 05-16-2023 at 12:22 PM.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Wil this seal work as a replacement:

https://www.wakemakers.com/products/...41456604840101
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Yes that will work.
    The shaft 1-1/8". I installed a Glide Bearing in mine. Tim @Glide is a good guy and price was right.

I thought the prop nut and and v-drive coupler nut were the same size. Should be 3/4-10 pitch, if I am correct. Search p"rop shaft locknut" on google.
    Last edited by Holdmybeer; 05-16-2023 at 12:47 PM.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    Yes that will work.
    The shaft 1-1/8". I installed a Glide Bearing in mine. Tim @Glide is a good guy and price was right.

I thought the prop nut and and v-drive coupler nut were the same size. Should be 3/4-10 pitch, if I am correct. Search p"rop shaft locknut" on google.
    They look different, I'll post a picture of the 2 later. I'll give Glide a call and check into that, thanks again.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

On the bottom is the prop nut, on the top is the nut attaching the shaft to the coupler.
    16842791053171226898419228200556.jpg
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

The thread pitch should be the same. I forgot that the flange one is low profile version. The picture is a screen shot from McMaster Carr. I would go Stainless

Screenshot_20230516_205047_Chrome.jpg
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Thanks for the input. I got a new nut and went with that OJ dripless seal. My neightbor and I installed it on Saturday AM, about 3 hours and we surfed all afternoon no issues.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo