Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hinges better than nothing

Was bored last weekend and decided to put hinges on my midship cushions. They won't open all the way due to the fiberglass hull shape, but they open enough for me to not complain about taking the cushion off.

https://youtube.com/shorts/enT1u-WHbOE

https://youtube.com/shorts/_-NfhydkNPI

https://youtube.com/shorts/KtxrvT5bg9Q
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

thats exactly what i was looking at doing. can you make a list of parts and links to what you got to make this work or maybe a how to?

2019 Moomba Mojo
    Tow Rig 2019 Ford F150 Raptor

I'm not sure that's really too much less of a clearance than the stock hinges give on my Makai. Nice job.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Attachment 30831
    Last edited by HFarr; 05-01-2023 at 11:09 AM.
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Those turned out great. Nice job.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

What hinges are those? Link?
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags
    Heatercraft triple heater

This is what I based the whole plan off of. I had to create my own brackets from scratch becasuse the sizing for AXIS is not the same. Also, the left to right sizing (opening under seat) on both port and starboard goes smaller to wider. I purchased the hinges on this link and made the brackets in my shop from scrap. I clamped everything together till the right position was there for opening and closing and no gaps in the rear. After I was satisfied with the proper function, I marked all holes and cuts and drilled away. One other thing that I did which I might not have had to do was....the screws into the bottom of the seat I filed down. #14 only came in 3/4 ". The seat plastic from what I could tell was about 1/2". The hinge plus the plastic put it at 5/8. I was paranoid that the screw tip might go into my chill tech vinyl if stepped on. I think it might not have (do to a Nautique remodel I did years ago) but with the added cost for the chill tech, I didn't want to chance it. I filed down 3/4" to 1/2" and did a 1/8 depth pre drill hole since it had no tip. Not sure if all this makes sense. Most important lesson I learned, do not drill holes in boat or the bracket you made until you're 100% sure you like the position of everything and it works just like you want. The seat only opens part way due to the clamp hitting the fiberglass back rail. One the G23, I noticed the fiberglass was made with a "cut in" to allow the hinge to go further back and thus the seat opens all the way. Tons of clamps were my best friend. Hope this helps.

BTW the starboard side works the same way...BUT if you have a newer model with the back rest, you have to take that off to open the compartment. 1 pull of the pin and it's out. I still thought it was better than removing the cushion. I decide not to store stuff in that side that I use often.

Feel free to PM if you want to talk about it.

https://www.bakesonline.com/axis-ben...acket-kit.html
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

I was looking at the Makais and their seat seems to open just a litte further. I am going to order the OEM Moomba hinges and use the same cross member design you used. It looks like some Malibu boats also use a hinge that looks like almost identical to the moomba hinge. https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/ma...-all-questions

It looks like the moomba hinge has a slightly shorter action and is mounted just a little further back on the cross member. Hard to tell forsure though.

746e5d8fb7504491e3818423e66abd39.jpg
    2023 Moomba Max
    5,550lbs ballast | 1,000lbs lead = 6,650lbs
    2014 Moomba Mojo 2.5- SOLD
    Tow- 2002 F-350 Super Duty 7.3L PSD

This is one of the hinged seats in my 2021 Makai. I'm pretty happy with how wide it opens. Note that there are no support bars.. The hinges mount directly to the fiberglass. I have not checked, but I would suspect the fiberglass is thicker where they mount.

2021 Moomba Makai

HFarr, it looks like where the hinge mounts to the bottom of your seat is at the very edge. The screw closest to the edge of the seat, does that screw into the vinyl lip?
    2023 Moomba Max
    5,550lbs ballast | 1,000lbs lead = 6,650lbs
    2014 Moomba Mojo 2.5- SOLD
    Tow- 2002 F-350 Super Duty 7.3L PSD

Quote Originally Posted by Moombas View Post
    HFarr, it looks like where the hinge mounts to the bottom of your seat is at the very edge. The screw closest to the edge of the seat, does that screw into the vinyl lip?
    These are zoomed up on the left and right hinges. The bottom, or back screw, is in the vinyl overlap.

2021 Moomba Makai