Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    Nice! I was skiing yesterday and several of the lifts had pathways for the chairs to exit the base carved through a cavern of snow. I have never seen it this deep, with trail signs in cases sitting at my knees. We still have snow coming tonight through the end of the week and next week too.
    Where is your spot? Or do you bounce around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Where is your spot? Or do you bounce around?

We are Snowbasin pass holders, primarily because I can get there from my house in 30 minutes. It is really a fun place to go and generally has very short lift lines except in a couple of areas away from the main base (which will mostly be remedied next season with the addition of another 6-pack lift), and the main gondola up the mountain (which I avoid like the plague because of the many alternatives). They don't have onsite lodging though.

I do like to visit other places though. I have skied almost every resort in Utah and would rate Alta and Snowbird as the best (as do most skiers), followed by Snowbasin, Brighton, Solitude, Deer Valley, Park City, and Powder Mountain. If you are looking more at amenities than skiing, of course the Park City resorts are better, though the day lodges at Snowbasin are truly best of class and have great food, just no place to put your head down at the end of the day and there is no ski-in-ski-out lodging. I don't ski Alta and Snowbird much because of the ridiculous drive up the canyon, which usually takes 2:30 instead of 50 minutes when there is no traffic.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

We are Snowbasin pass holders, primarily because I can get there from my house in 30 minutes. It is really a fun place to go and generally has very short lift lines except in a couple of areas away from the main base (which will mostly be remedied next season with the addition of another 6-pack lift), and the main gondola up the mountain (which I avoid like the plague because of the many alternatives). They don't have onsite lodging though.

I do like to visit other places though. I have skied almost every resort in Utah and would rate Alta and Snowbird as the best (as do most skiers), followed by Snowbasin, Brighton, Solitude, Deer Valley, Park City, and Powder Mountain. If you are looking more at amenities than skiing, of course the Park City resorts are better, though the day lodges at Snowbasin are truly best of class and have great food, just no place to put your head down at the end of the day and there is no ski-in-ski-out lodging. I don't ski Alta and Snowbird much because of the ridiculous drive up the canyon, which usually takes 2:30 instead of 50 minutes when there is no traffic.
    Snowbasin - one of my favorite spots. Had some good powder days over on the Strawberry side. I think it was 5 years ago we had a weekday of getting 18" between the hours of 10am and 3pm. There might have been 12 people (total) on that side during the afternoon.

Been going to Utah for many years, but still have yet to hit Powder Mtn. Mainly b/c it's off the beaten-path/longer to get to, older lifts, and there were so many other places to hit when we stayed in the dtown SLC.

Park City Area - Had some good days at the Canyons, but overall way too many people for me. They got some pretty good Pubs.

One of my college buds bought a condo at Solitude a few years back. So we just bounce around Solitude and Brighton. Can't beat the weekdays.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Snowbasin - one of my favorite spots. Had some good powder days over on the Strawberry side. I think it was 5 years ago we had a weekday of getting 18" between the hours of 10am and 3pm. There might have been 12 people (total) on that side during the afternoon.

Been going to Utah for many years, but still have yet to hit Powder Mtn. Mainly b/c it's off the beaten-path/longer to get to, older lifts, and there were so many other places to hit when we stayed in the dtown SLC.

Park City Area - Had some good days at the Canyons, but overall way too many people for me. They got some pretty good Pubs.

One of my college buds bought a condo at Solitude a few years back. So we just bounce around Solitude and Brighton. Can't beat the weekdays.
    Another foot today at Snowbasin! We usually avoid Strawberry because of the limited lift capacity. With just the one gondola, the line is too long for us. We stick with John Paul, Middle Bowl, and Wildcat so we can get in 10-12,000 vert in about 2 hours. Strawberry will be getting the new 6-pack next year though, so that may change our approach.

Powder Mountain is fun but has some serious flaws. The resort is upside-down, so the parking lot is at the top of the mountain. If there is any kind of lightning or power disruption, you are stuck at the bottom of the hill until they manage to get you out with a cat. They have lots of back country cat skiing though that you can add to your pass. Plus, they have strict on-mountain limits due to limits on season passes (there is a multi-year waiting list) and daily passes. They have some really long runs though and really decrepit facilities.

I love Solitude and Brighton though. My favorite lift in the state is the Summit Express. Plus, they will be replacing the Eagle Express this summer and Brighton will be replacing the Crest Express with a 6-pack. Brighton is the best place for quick laps and tree skiing, in my opinion. We used to go the Brighton all the time, but weekend skiing made it too hard, since we would have to leave before 7 if we wanted to have any hope of getting on the mountain before 9:30. With Snowbasin, we used to leave at 8:20 and make it for lift starts. Due to the Ikon pass we now have to leave at 7:45, but that is reasonable to me. Skiing is the only activity I love more than boating, but that is what makes a year like this one even better, since I know that snow will make the boating that much better!

Deer Valley is great if you want to "run into" a celebrity.... Couldn't resist

Like Zog said, another foot of snow last night and they are forcasting another 12-20 inches tonight-into tomorrow. It's the gift that just keeps giving!
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    Deer Valley is great if you want to "run into" a celebrity.... Couldn't resist

Like Zog said, another foot of snow last night and they are forcasting another 12-20 inches tonight-into tomorrow. It's the gift that just keeps giving!
    Deer Valley has a lot of older men skiing with their daughters. It is great to see those family bonds developed through skiing lasting well into adulthood. It is a little weird that so many older men are so handsy with their daughters in the lodges though.

Deer Valley has a lot of older men skiing with their daughters. It is great to see those family bonds developed through skiing lasting well into adulthood. It is a little weird that so many older men are so handsy with their daughters in the lodges though.
    Deer Valley - Ha Ha. It's like an old dude booshi club. Bunch of fat cats with nice equipment getting together with other fat cats, but it's nice - it should be. But ya, a weird atmosphere.

Me and my college buds don't fit the mold. I fit in more at Molly's Greens at Brighton.
    2018 Supra SL400

Love this convo!

Just got back from the Rockies! We have a place 5 min from Beaver Creek and 10 from Vail. If anyone is every interested shoot me a pm. Will give anyone on the forum a good discount to stay!