Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I dont recall it looks like, but you might be able to answer your own qustion.

1) I would not add a 2nd woofer into the system while leaving the 1st woofer setup with the 2 serious flaws it has.

2) as an example, the "KM" series enclosure needs to be small and air tight. any leaks and its performance will fall off.

3) the "KMF" does not want a small enclosure/air space/cavity. However, the large space does not need to be air tight sealed. What is does need, is to have 100% front cone to rear cone isolation. You need a solid wall/cavity structure to prevent the air coming off the rear of the cone to mix with the air coming off the front of thee cone.

If you location you speak of, offers #3, then you could go with an FA woofer. An example of this would be a Nautique G boat. Free-air woofers in the port locker and helm cavity. If said location is small and sealed (or could be sealed with a little fiberglass or marine caulk work like ive done on a Tige ASR), you could use a non FA woofer.

Now the final challenge. Anytime you place a woofer in a closed locker, you rob some performance. So ideally, you would want to put in a vent to let the bass radiate out.

Default Mondo Sub Enclosure

Just saying that FA subs work very well on the Supra. One under helm and one in port locker

I can honestly say, they almost work too good lol

My question is, wouldn't using the kicker FA's work better on a moomba? Even if it has to be mounted in port locker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 03-10-2023 at 01:20 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

The location is mostly irrelevant to the use of a Free-air or acoustic-suspension (small sealed enclosure) woofer. The two woofers are build differently and its not ideal to interchange their applications. A true FA woofer has more self-dampening to suite the large air space behind it. If you look at the T/S parameters of both the KM104 and KMF104, you see the difference in the numbers, especially the Q numbers. This tells us they act different, even though they are both 10 woofers with identical voice coil size and power handling.

What matters as to which one you would want to use, depends on the exact spot it will go and the surrounding structure. Refer back to the moomba pic I posted on page 1. You would not want to use the KMF woofer there, because the wall is only 3/4 of the way up. So that spot is not ideal for a KMF. What you would want to go with, is the KM10 AND put a small sealed or ported enclosure behind it. Thats whats been done on that boat thats pictured.

Not so sound like im picking on Moomba, here is a pic of a G23 that was the complete opposite. They had a perfect spot for a true FA woofer, but chose to use a non-FA Polk woofer. In that case, the fix is a little easier............install and proper FA woofer, which is whats pictured.

Port locker or under helm wont dictate the use of an FA or non-FA. It has to come down to how the woofer will/can actually be installed based on the listed requirements of each woofer.

As previously noted. Any time you close a woofer, regardless of its enclosure type, in an insulated locker, you reduce its perceived output.

thumb_1017_640_480_0_0_auto.jpg

I really appreciate all the help and additional comments on other applications. It certainly helps with expanding the knowledge base.
    I drove up to the cottage this weekend to look at the current sub install in my Mondo. It’s a Kicker Km10 mounted under the helm. Yes it’s not a FA sub! I removed the panel and took some measurements and boy oh boy there’s not a lot of room under there with the heater, ballast overflow tube etc. The panel will have to come forward in order to get a custom made sub box in there.
    So here’s my question to those with the FA subs and those with way more knowledge and experience than me. Should I build a custom enclosure for the current sub or should I by a new Kicker sub that is a FA sub? Which option will give me the better thump/boom and I’ll be happy with?

This boat will NOT support a free-air woofer unless you fab'd a new facade that wend floor to the backside of the helm so to create 100% air isolation between the back of the woofer and the front. Thats the whole issue with the boat, as it is.

You can build a custom enclosure yourself or you can contract a shop to build you a custom enclosure. You cant buy an enclosure and it be custom.

Thanks MLA for your help. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. A sealed custom enclosure it is. Last night I made a cardboard template for the sub box and will transfer the measurements to the wood enclosure. I do have to move the helm panel forward. I have no other choice. I’m looking forward to the ‘extras’ this sub will give.

MLA is a monster when it comes to speakers/boxes. glad he answered.

here's my .02 having done several boxes over the years. our woofer of choice is the JL 12w6...
    when we built boxes, we did out of 3/4" mdf. we used a couple of pieces of hdpe(walmart kitchen cutting boards) to raise the box off the floor to keep out of standing water should it puddle. usually used 2 pieces 3" wide and the depth of the box and around 1" tall(had to stack 'em). once built(glued and screwed every 3" and inside seams caulked), we coated the box with 4-6 layers of the spray on bedliner you can get at walmart/autozone. this usually took me 3 or 4 days putting on a coat in in morning and again at night. couple boats I did a false front as MLA shows and a couple I just carpeted the box and installed as-is. made a nice place to rest my feet when reclined in the drivers seat.
    heaters add a little extra work/designwork as they suck up a bit of space. our '12 tige I had to move the medallion wiring panel up 2" to get the box to slide under it.

good luck and post pics as you do it....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Ok was fortunate and got measurements from a dealer.
    Here are photos of the tuning sealed box before it’s sprayed. Been slot of work. Pre making a cardboard box for fitment is the key.516BDA73-BBA7-45C5-8935-94DF58FB939B.jpg

I want to see the video of you sliding that in place. Looks like it will be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I’m really glad I took the advice of others to make it out of cardboard first. And I’m glad I did. The prototype slid in and out with ease. Several tweeks but in the end it worked. The helm seat was pushed back though. The helm panel was moved forward several inches and was trimmed to fit the lower tray down there.
    I’ll post photos when it’s installed but will be in a month.