Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2005 Mobius LSV center floor section

Hey everyone, I'm Jason. This is my first post here and I'm hoping you guys might be able to weight in on a project I'm currently working on. I'm replacing my carpet and covering the center hatch and bow floor with Hydrodeck. I've read a bunch of other threads on people who've done it, but I'm experiencing something that I haven't seen anyone else bring up. It looks like my center floor section is sagging and I'd like to address it while I've got it out of the boat. So here's what I can tell you. When it was in the boat and you walk on it, you could definitely feel, and see, some flex in it. I couldn't hear any cracking or anything that made me feel like there was a problem structurally, but it just felt a little weak. Anyway, I've got it out, and the carpet pulled off and it's definitely concave, front to back and side to side. I put a straight edge inside the boat and it appears that the hull floor is flat, or near flat, front to back as well as side to side. There's only a single lateral support (aluminum square tubing) running across the fuel tank and it is parallel to the hull floor, but not quite on the same plane. It sits about 1/4" below the plane of the hull floor, allowing the actual floor (one with carpet) to flex before it contacts the lateral support. Here's some pictures, what do you guys think? Should this floor be flat, or does this seem correct?Attachment 30766
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the difference in height of the aluminum tube in the floor the same as the amount of sag you show in the floor panel? If so, then that explains the warp/sag you show. I would attach a piece of aluminum flat bar on top of that square aluminum tube to act as a shim in order to make it level with the floor. Or get a slightly larger square tube.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Basically yes, it is. There's about 3/8" difference in height between crossmember and floor height, and the crossmember sags about 3/8" when substantial weight is applied, giving the 3/4" of warp that the top floor has. The problem I'm facing, at least as I see it; should I attempt to straighten the floor while I have it out? The fiberglass work isn't impressive, and there's some places that could use some attention. Have you ever seen this type of floor out of a boat? If so, was it concave or pretty flat?

If the aluminum tube is flexing too, then I would try to see what could be done to stop that. Maybe a piece of angle attached yo both sides? Better quality aluminum that won't flex as much? I think the panel would pull back down flat when you reinstall it for the most part. But you may even be able to make a new one that has some ribs built in on the bottom side to help stiffen it too if you're good at fiberglass.

2021 Moomba Makai

I had an 07 lsv and that panel was made out of aluminum if i remember correctly. I wonder if you could take the fiberglass panel to a fabrication shop and have them make one for you in aluminum. I have no idea on the cost but it would probably solve the problem.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    Maybe a piece of angle attached yo both sides?
    Yep, I'm for sure going to try this. I'll TIG weld angle to each side, but make it level with the surrounding hull floor...maybe that'll help. Thanks for the reply.

Anytime! Keep tabs on this site. You will be surprised at all the collective knowledge here, and you can add to it! Also, post back up pictures of what your final solution is. And some before / after of the new flooring too!

2021 Moomba Makai

Are you sure it’s sagged when screwed back into the boat? I had pulled the floor on my Mobius LSV to change out the steering cable so I know what your working with..

So just my opinion- Hydro deck, sea dek..whatever looks like crap in older boats. Looks too much like an after thought, not period correct.

I was considering doing mine when we had our LSV, but went back in with new grey carpet. Turned out great..
    2021 Moomba Max

Yeah, it's definitely sagged because it sits the same way in the boat. You don't really notice it until you're walking around, or the floor is wet. When it's wet, you can see a dip in the center where the water stays. You're right about it looking like an after thought; I kind of feel the same way, but there's another reason why I'm doing this. My 10 year old son is on the Autism spectrum. He's very highly functioning, and most people wouldn't know, but balance (especially on anything without 100% traction) and situational awareness are his crux. He's eaten crap on the center and bow floor, so I'm going with the deck just to have good footing more than anything.

Just a quick question before you Tig Weld anything....is that cross member removable?
    Welding over your fuel tank hurt. Not saying it cannot be done just nit wanting to hear about you on the news.

Next, maybe you are missing the aluminum plate that should drop in first then the fiberglass panel sits on that to dispurse the weight. Never opened an LSV just throwing out ideas.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow