Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 rev 10'

Due to the recessed mounting perch on the HD series, the 12HD has only slightly more hang height even though the driver is 2" larger in Dia., when comparing to a rev-10v2 with tube clamp to 12HD with 2 clamp.

No tower can produce bass. Mid-bass? Yes. The 10HD really isnt going to produce more mid-bass, as this is a product of the mid-bass driver size. Both are 10". The new HD pod is slightly larger in volume, v's the original rev, which will help with mid-bass extension. However, I think measurable difference would be inaudible in the wild. What does give the 10HD the appearance of producing more mid-bass, is the all new cross-over and compression driver. When you rain in and tone down the harsher frequencies, the drivers "seems" to produce more mid-bass. So all in all, the HD is a larger step in HLCD performance over the Rev v2 series.

Lets talk woofers, since they were mentioned. There is nothing magic that one brand can do to make their woofer hit, slam, pound, etc, harder then another. There are 4 real factors that effect output. driver size, enclosure, wattage supplied and the drivers excursion. The first 3, we as a consumer/installer can control. So, if two woofers are the same size, in the same enclosure type/size and supplied the same wattage, their output (choose your buzz word: hit slam pound) would be about the same. If you are comparing two woofers any one of the 3 previous factors is not the same between the two, its not the woofer's brands you are comparing, but rather the larger woofer to a smaller woofer, the one in a ported enclosure v's the one in the sealed or IB enclosure or the one thats fed more wattage.

XM9 to rev-10; Keep in mind, despite Brian's efforts to pass the xm9 off as a 9" driver, is was an 8". So comparing an 8" HLCD to a 10" HLCD is no comparison. Again, its not a brand thing. The rev-10 also had a slightly larger compression driver.

Class A/B amps can and will overheat on a boat, in July, when heavily loaded. Brian gave some bad advice by telling buyers to run the 6-pod hybrid setup at 1.5 ohm p/chnl on their 2 chnl amp, even though the amp was only intended for a minimum of a 2 ohm load p/chnl. Moving to the more efficient class-D amps is a move in the right direction to avoid thermal shutdown, but also knowing how to properly setup and tune any amp, is equally important.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Due to the recessed mounting perch on the HD series, the 12HD has only slightly more hang height even though the driver is 2" larger in Dia., when comparing to a rev-10v2 with tube clamp to 12HD with 2 clamp.

No tower can produce bass. Mid-bass? Yes. The 10HD really isnt going to produce more mid-bass, as this is a product of the mid-bass driver size. Both are 10". The new HD pod is slightly larger in volume, v's the original rev, which will help with mid-bass extension. However, I think measurable difference would be inaudible in the wild. What does give the 10HD the appearance of producing more mid-bass, is the all new cross-over and compression driver. When you rain in and tone down the harsher frequencies, the drivers "seems" to produce more mid-bass. So all in all, the HD is a larger step in HLCD performance over the Rev v2 series.

Lets talk woofers, since they were mentioned. There is nothing magic that one brand can do to make their woofer hit, slam, pound, etc, harder then another. There are 4 real factors that effect output. driver size, enclosure, wattage supplied and the drivers excursion. The first 3, we as a consumer/installer can control. So, if two woofers are the same size, in the same enclosure type/size and supplied the same wattage, their output (choose your buzz word: hit slam pound) would be about the same. If you are comparing two woofers any one of the 3 previous factors is not the same between the two, its not the woofer's brands you are comparing, but rather the larger woofer to a smaller woofer, the one in a ported enclosure v's the one in the sealed or IB enclosure or the one thats fed more wattage.

XM9 to rev-10; Keep in mind, despite Brian's efforts to pass the xm9 off as a 9" driver, is was an 8". So comparing an 8" HLCD to a 10" HLCD is no comparison. Again, its not a brand thing. The rev-10 also had a slightly larger compression driver.

Class A/B amps can and will overheat on a boat, in July, when heavily loaded. Brian gave some bad advice by telling buyers to run the 6-pod hybrid setup at 1.5 ohm p/chnl on their 2 chnl amp, even though the amp was only intended for a minimum of a 2 ohm load p/chnl. Moving to the more efficient class-D amps is a move in the right direction to avoid thermal shutdown, but also knowing how to properly setup and tune any amp, is equally important.
    Let me know if you ever come near South Georgia. LOL. Got a system for tou to tune up!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

In your opinion, what do you think will sound better? 4 Rev 10 HD’s or 2 Rev 12 HD’s?
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Malibu VLX 21 - SOLD
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

Hard to put a finger on "better". However, 4 HLCDs, although smaller mid-bass drivers, will be louder then 2 larger HLCD. However, rule of thumb is that the larger driver will have deeper mid-bass. So a little better sound quality near field.

I have not heard the Rev-10HD yet, just the rev-10v2 v's the Rev-12HD when swapping out my v2's the 12HD.

Hard to put a finger on "better". However, 4 HLCDs, although smaller mid-bass drivers, will be louder then 2 larger HLCD. However, rule of thumb is that the larger driver will have deeper mid-bass. So a little better sound quality near field.

I have not heard the Rev-10HD yet, just the rev-10v2 v's the Rev-12HD when swapping out my v2's the 12HD.
    So you have just the two 12 HD’s on your boat? Do you have the A3 tower?
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

Something like that, its a homemade tower.

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    I'm a hair over 5' 11" and its pretty easy to avoid hitting your head. I won't say I have never hit my head but after you do it a couple of times you figure out how to make it not a regular occurrence.

As far as going from exile to wetsounds. I feel like my exile sub hit harder than my WS but I also bought a low end WS sub due to budget constraints. I am sure the XXX hits much harder but what I have is adequate. As far as XM9s vs REV10s there is no comparison. The Rev10s blow them out of the water, which is the main reason I made the change. Got tired of being drown out by WS systems. Overall I am much happier with the WS system and I have never had an overheating issue (my original exile amps would over heat and shut down all the time). The newer class D exile amps due seem to have fixed this problem however.
    Oh lol. You’re happy with the Rev 12’s though? My gut tells me to keep them to keep the tower less crowded and avoid having to get another amp.
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

Something like that, its a homemade tower.
    Oh lol. You’re happy with the Rev 12’s though? My gut tells me to keep them to keep the tower less crowded and avoid having to get another amp.
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    I'm a hair over 5' 11" and its pretty easy to avoid hitting your head. I won't say I have never hit my head but after you do it a couple of times you figure out how to make it not a regular occurrence.

As far as going from exile to wetsounds. I feel like my exile sub hit harder than my WS but I also bought a low end WS sub due to budget constraints. I am sure the XXX hits much harder but what I have is adequate. As far as XM9s vs REV10s there is no comparison. The Rev10s blow them out of the water, which is the main reason I made the change. Got tired of being drown out by WS systems. Overall I am much happier with the WS system and I have never had an overheating issue (my original exile amps would over heat and shut down all the time). The newer class D exile amps due seem to have fixed this problem however.
    I replaced the REV 10 HD;s with REV 12 HD;s. I also replaced the 10" Revo 10 sub with a 12" Revo 12" sub. I am not impressed with it at all. I am swinging into Exile and picking up a 12" Xi12 sub today on my way home before I go tune everything in.
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

It the sub free air or in a box?
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags
    Heatercraft triple heater