Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Not sure about the new Fords. My Chevy and wife's GMC have the 2 speed transfer case. I use AUTO awd which will engage the front wheels when the rear slip.

If SLIPPERY mode does the same thing I would use it at the ramp then back to 2wd once ready to drive home.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

My recommendation after working several years next to a busy ramp:
    Get the truck and trailer lined up with the ramp and put in 4H or 4L (preferred) prior to decending down the ramp. With the truck in 4H or 4L, the ebrake and transmission are engaging front and rear tires helping prevent the truck going into the drink if the rear tires are on a slippery surface or if the load on the rear tires is reduced during loading. I've had too many close calls with a 2wd truck and seen too many trucks go in the drink to not use 4wd when it's just a push of a button.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cucv View Post
    Get the truck and trailer lined up with the ramp and put in 4H or 4L (preferred) prior to decending down the ramp. With the truck in 4H or 4L, the ebrake and transmission are engaging front and rear tires helping prevent the truck going into the drink if the rear tires are on a slippery surface or if the load on the rear tires is reduced during loading. I've had too many close calls with a 2wd truck and seen too many trucks go in the drink to not use 4wd when it's just a push of a button.

I agree with this 99%, only minor correction is the Ebrake only applies the rear brakes, but the key to 4WD is it locks the front tires through trans and transfer case as you mentioned.

I too have experienced sliding backwards on a slippery ramp as soon as you release brake pedal in park.

I have also seen 4WD trucks slide with 4WD engaged when front tires are wet on the slick part of ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by cucv View Post

this was our preferred as well. as mentioned, we have slid on the ramp while stopping so we always pull up far enough to ensure a stop on dry pavement then back up and in.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Captain obvious here, but didn't see this mentioned so....

If your rear is spinning on a slick ramp I would NOT engage 4wd while "in motion" if the front is on dryer/less slick pavement. Stop, engage 4wd, proceed with the burnout up the ramp.

In the snow or sand or mud, 4wd while on light throttle shouldn't hurt. Just be mindful.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Good info everyone. Thanks again! Loving this new truck a lot!
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Yes, or rather NO. Don't ever engage 4wd while spinning. Bad things can happen. Another thing I always tell people is to use your emergency brake if you have to get out of the truck on the ramp. I have seen people put a wheel chock on the front tire too just as an extra safety. Ideally, if you have someone that can stay in the truck with their foot on the brake, that is best as it locks all 4 tires. Remember park generally only locks 1 wheel on a 2wd.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    Yes, or rather NO. Don't ever engage 4wd while spinning. Bad things can happen. Another thing I always tell people is to use your emergency brake if you have to get out of the truck on the ramp. I have seen people put a wheel chock on the front tire too just as an extra safety. Ideally, if you have someone that can stay in the truck with their foot on the brake, that is best as it locks all 4 tires. Remember park generally only locks 1 wheel on a 2wd.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Emergency brake only locks rear wheels, only way to get out of truck with all 4 wheels locked with foot off brake is 4WD engaged in park.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Emergency brake only locks rear wheels, only way to get out of truck with all 4 wheels locked with foot off brake is 4WD engaged in park.

Or add a line lock on front brake lines

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

My wife stays in the truck covering foot on brake anytime the boat is being loaded or unloaded on the ramp. So we good there. When solo I would use a chock sometimes on sketchy ramps. I’ve also forgot to remove the chock prior to pulling out and let me tell ya, a plastic chock will sound like a double barrel shotgun when it explodes and you’ll get all kinds of funny looks from the ramp crowds
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold