Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

WOW! Some states are crazy if you own anything on taxes. I couldn't imagine getting that kind of bill for a boat each year. No way I could own one. Time to set up an outa state registration, I think.
    2021 Makai

is it actually considered a property tax? as in if you dont pay it they can seize the boat? if not then what is the penalty for not paying it if you get pulled over? i'd be inclined to pay a ~$500 penalty a couple times a year over a 10k bill on a BS tax
    2021 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by blay127 View Post
    is it actually considered a property tax? as in if you dont pay it they can seize the boat? if not then what is the penalty for not paying it if you get pulled over? i'd be inclined to pay a ~$500 penalty a couple times a year over a 10k bill on a BS tax
    Yup. Actually considered property tax. I am honestly unsure of the consequences if not paid but we get a property tax bill for the house, each individual vehicle, and the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not moving to the Carolina’s, CHECK

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Is there more to the overall tax story? Like Texas is no state income, no boat tax like Carolina’s, but big property taxes.

2017 Supra SA

We definitely have a state income tax. Gas seems to be cheaper than surrounding states, usually 15-20 cents a gallon.

I owned a ~20k boat from 2011-2015 in South Carolina and I did pay the annual property tax, but it was around $500. I wouldn’t be so upset if it was 2000-3000 I would just bite the bullet and pay, but 8200 seems excessive.

I also paid sales tax on the boat and a registration fee to the DNR.

I actually talked to the auditor today and asked about the consequences, he said the county doesn’t have the resources to seize property. However, you won’t be able to renew registration which is done annually as well in South Carolina. He also said there would be late fees that accrue on the tax bill. I don’t really want an unpaid tax bill just hanging around out there.
    Last edited by mgswake; 01-11-2023 at 08:53 PM.
    2023 SL400

previous - 2000 SAN210

Wow, and I thought we had it bad in Canada. Finally, I can smile. Yes we pay 13% on the sales price when buy , but after that it is 0 , zip, zilch, nada, to own the boat every year. Do you have to pay a yearly tax on lawnmowers or snowblowers as well?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

There's got to be a work around that some SC boat owners work know. You could store the boat in the winter in another state and claim that is where it is garaged and use a legitimate address in that state.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Looks like you need the boat registered in another’s name out of state and then the boat can’t be in the state for more than 180 days or less in some counties. Iirc. Also only looks like the tax is on 10.5% of the boats assessed value and down to 6% in some counties. And then the actual tax is that assessed value times the mil rate which may be about 1.2 -1.6 x the value. That’s must be an awfully expensive moomba. IIRC and I could be in err. Or is the one figuring out the tax envious of boat owners
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    Looks like you need the boat registered in another’s name out of state and then the boat can’t be in the state for more than 180 days or less in some counties. Iirc. Also only looks like the tax is on 10.5% of the boats assessed value and down to 6% in some counties. And then the actual tax is that assessed value times the mil rate which may be about 1.2 -1.6 x the value. That’s must be an awfully expensive moomba. IIRC and I could be in err. Or is the one figuring out the tax envious of boat owners
    Boat is a 2023 SL for clarity lol.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan