Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adding a swim step - ladder to platform - need advice, ideas

I'm looking at adding a folding telescoping swimstep / ladder to the bottom of the platform this winter. I have two platform brackets and definitely have weight limitations on the platform. There has been a little spider cracking in the gel on the transom around the mounts for years but it doesn't appear to ever get any worse.

So I'm debating mounting it directly in the middle, or off to the side and kind of straddling a platform bracket for more support. Going with a simple 2-step ladder.

https://www.overtons.com/overtons-sl...er-735795.html

Wondering what other who have done this mod did and if you've had any issues?

Should I consider adding a center platform bracket for more support?

Does your ladder ever want to slide out and drag while you're underway?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

There is a whole thread on this topic somewhere here. Only about 6-8 months ago I believe.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Is your swim platform smooth on the underside?

My 2018 is a lot sturdier vs my previous 2007 - the mounting to the transom and the construction of the swim platform.

The original 2007 platform was not solid on the underside and there was a lip around the exterior of it. Even when I changed it to a solid surf platform, I also wondered if the original mounting brackets were strong enough to support add'l weight and strain of peeps getting up. Thus I never mounted one.
    2018 Supra SL400

2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Thanks for the link. Guess I wasn't searching hard enough.

Bottom of the platform is not smooth and overall not very thick so I may have to thru bolt it... and there is a lip. Not ideal so I may also need to put a spacer under it.

Also thinking now maybe I need a 3-4 step ladder vs a 2. If it will fit, why not. I think my biggest concern is the strain on the transom mounts from the leverage the ladder gives from someone climbing up. But then again, maybe no different than somebody lugging themselves on from the water...

We are pushing into our 50s, parents in their 70-80s, and now the grand babies. Quite the diverse group on any given outing.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Thanks for the link. Guess I wasn't searching hard enough.

Bottom of the platform is not smooth and overall not very thick so I may have to thru bolt it... and there is a lip. Not ideal so I may also need to put a spacer under it.

Also thinking now maybe I need a 3-4 step ladder vs a 2. If it will fit, why not. I think my biggest concern is the strain on the transom mounts from the leverage the ladder gives from someone climbing up. But then again, maybe no different than somebody lugging themselves on from the water...

We are pushing into our 50s, parents in their 70-80s, and now the grand babies. Quite the diverse group on any given outing.
    Thru Bolt would be the way to go. I've seen peeps putting on a new decking pad to cover the bolts, but not necessary in my opinion.
    2018 Supra SL400

I don't think you would put any more strain on the platform brackets with a ladder vs no ladder. Same weight with people standing/climbing on it. Those brackets are pretty stout and placement is good. I would worry more about the ladder bracket mounting. Good 3M contact glue would help too.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I think the ladder might put more stress on the mounts because the ladder will lengthen the “lever” when someone is standing on the rungs. I am by no means an engineer of any kind but I would think that if the distance from the mounting points on the transom are further away from the rungs of the ladder than the outer edge of the platform it is going to increase the load on those mounts when someone is standing on the ladder. Even more so if the ladder is used while the boat is on the trailer as the water won’t be providing buoyancy to the person on the ladder.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

It’s not the swim deck brackets one has to worry about. Don’t forget people are floating so it’s not like it is their total weight. I’ve had 3 people standing on the swim platform at once, so if the brackets can support that weight then it can support the partial weight of someone getting out that’s in the water..

I have a ladder but never installed it. I was just going to do what others did by simply screwing them into from the bottom but after digging into this more during the season I’ve decided to through bolt mine. The core of the swim deck is not solid but rather foam. I did not want to rely on just the thin fiberglass of the bottom section to hold my weight. You can buy boots that have a flush head on them so that when you do a small countersink it all sits very flush.
    Last edited by haknslash; 12-18-2022 at 09:13 AM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Everyone that is looking to do this, I recommend thru bolting also.

If you have access or willing pay for it, I would take all thread and cut the length needed. Next, have fender washers or large flat circles welded to the end to create a larger surface area on the top side of the platform. The thin washer/sheet metal will also hide better under the sea deck. This also doesn't require counter sink or bore into the glass.

To prevent water soaking, I would fill the holes with epoxy after putting the bolts through the platform.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow