Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transom straps

Default Transom straps

I ordered my 2023 SL with transom straps. I went to put them on and couldn’t figure out where to attach them under the platform. I found a YouTube video by Chantelboats out of AWS and there is a little eye piece under the swim platform on her SL (see picture screen shot). My boat does not have this. The dealer told me to put the hook in the open end of the platform bracket but this causes the strap to twist. Anyone have advice on where to attach my transom straps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2023 SL400

previous - 2000 SAN210

Every one I have seen has an eye on the swim platform. I am at a loss.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

My '20 SL had that eye piece in your screenshot, my '22 SL does not. I believe the swim platform brackets were slightly modified with the introduction of stern thrusters and that's when/why that eye piece has disappeared. I attach mine to the open end of the swim platform bracket like your dealer instructed. Yes there is a slight twist (90 degrees I think) but I don't worry about it. These boats are so heavy you don't really need the straps anyways, but they still make me feel better!
    2022 Supra SL550 (current)
    2019 Adonia (75' houseboat at Lake Powell - current)
    2021 Tige Z3 (past)
    2020 SL400 (past)
    Idaho

Driving down a nice highway or decent county roads straps are not "needed". However, the stop from 70 to 0 is less than 100ft you might think differently about that needed term. Physics can be ruthless and that heavy boat doesn't care about your pull vehicle.

Not sure why transom straps are not standard on 6-figure boats but are on $35k runabout.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Maybe I have high expectations, but with the price of these boats “just turn the ratchet strap sideways and hook it in the gap” is not really acceptable answer to me. I think it should have a dedicated place to connect.

Also, I tried to hook the strap to a couple different places on the swim platform bracket and the twist in the strap made it hard to ratchet down properly.

Overall, I am happy with the boat. I just wish there was a better answer. I think the eye hook in my screen shot wouldn’t be too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    Driving down a nice highway or decent county roads straps are not "needed". However, the stop from 70 to 0 is less than 100ft you might think differently about that needed term. Physics can be ruthless and that heavy boat doesn't care about your pull vehicle.

Not sure why transom straps are not standard on 6-figure boats but are on $35k runabout.
    the straps are not intended to hold the boat to the trailer. i have yet to see a head on crash where the strapped boat stayed on the trailer.

the straps are just to keep the boat in compression with the trailer and save wear and slight movement when going over bumps. stop/go does pretty much nothing to the movement of the boat on the trailer. I tested this theory with my old 07 centurion, was about 2 inches too far back after pulling out, thought i could lock it up and get it to scoot forward... nothing.

The boat weighs 5-6klb, the trailer weighs about 1k.... the transom straps are to hold the trailer to the boat, not the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by mgswake View Post
    I ordered my 2023 SL with transom straps. I went to put them on and couldn’t figure out where to attach them under the platform. I found a YouTube video by Chantelboats out of AWS and there is a little eye piece under the swim platform on her SL (see picture screen shot). My boat does not have this. The dealer told me to put the hook in the open end of the platform bracket but this causes the strap to twist. Anyone have advice on where to attach my transom straps?

usually having a twist in a tie down strap is good, keeps it from fluttering in the wind, not that there should be much in the transom area, but its not going to affect strength if that is what you are worried about.
    2022 Mojo - 400 - flow 3 - OJ 930 15.5x15 prop - 1k lead - 2.5-3k elevation

previous: 2007 centurion elite V air warrior

Default Transom straps

The strap hooks onto the very end of the platform bracket, there is a perpendicular bar inside the end of the bracket. As mentioned, the brackets changed with the addition of the stern thrusters.

When the boat and bunks are wet, the boat will move quite a bit if you slam the brakes or take off aggressively.

It’s not uncommon to tap the brakes to snug the bow against the bow stop.

I don’t crank them overly tight, but agree it just compresses against the bunks.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Thanks for replies.

@larryarizonia, I will look in the bracket for the perpendicular bar.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Simple fix to the twist in your strap in that photo is to take the hook on the strap and put it in a vice then twist it 90 degrees using a large crescent wrench, pipe wrench, or whatever big leverage device that you fancy.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub