Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default Routine Maintenance for anew boat owner

    I'm sure this info is 100 different spots, and its obviously in the owners manual. but what say you???

    As a fairly new boat owner what do I need to keep an eye out for? Preventative maintenance type stuff.

    I had a prop ding the other day and I was under the boat changing it out and noticed where the shaft enters the boat has a tiny bit of water dripping. What type of job is that or is it normal? These are things I dont know.

    Obviously, I'm up on an oil change. Plan to do the transmission fluid change this winter.

    What else? Feels like a full year of boat ownership has been fairly easy....which makes me nervous!
    2008 XLV Gravity Games edition

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    6,334

    Default

    One thing to look for is the the bolts that hold the prop shaft on the vdrive, make sure they are tight periodically. Change the water pump impeller annually, it's a fairly easy job especially if you have an impeller puller.
    David

    2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

    SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    2,666

    Default

    Water impeller (black) are good to change annually. I have 1.5 seasons on my current one b/c of a mid-summer change the year before. You will also find people that swap them out every-other spring depending on boat usage.

    If you have reversible pumps, the ballast pump impellers (green) are good to change out every-other season. If you use your boat enough, you know how long it takes to fill up bags. When the pumps get slow, it's time to change out.
    2018 Supra SL400

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beas View Post
    I'm sure this info is 100 different spots, and its obviously in the owners manual. but what say you???

    As a fairly new boat owner what do I need to keep an eye out for? Preventative maintenance type stuff.

    I had a prop ding the other day and I was under the boat changing it out and noticed where the shaft enters the boat has a tiny bit of water dripping. What type of job is that or is it normal? These are things I dont know.

    Obviously, I'm up on an oil change. Plan to do the transmission fluid change this winter.

    What else? Feels like a full year of boat ownership has been fairly easy....which makes me nervous!
    Your prop shaft entry point should be a dip seal on 2008. Which means a drip every 1-2 minutes into the bilge is normal. Also if there is water dripping on the outside that is normal and means the water is circulating correctly and cooling the prop shaft bearing.

    Maintenance on these boats is no different than cars, tractors, etc. Engine, drive train, cooling system, and body are the 4 main things and all require different items. Change fluids and filters, keep them clean, make sure winterization is done correctly.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    163

    Default

    I do oil change and transmission fluid change at the end of every summer before I winterize the boat. The screen strainer on a direct direct transmission is a real pita to get to. To avoid having to get to the strainer Iíve swapped trans fluid every year for 18 years and had no issues. I also change my impeller every year. Not worth the risk of a failure. Pull it in the winter and install new one in the spring. One other item always turn your steering wheel all the way to port when boats not in use. This will keep the steering from getting stiff. I had to replace my original steering cable at like 4 years. Havenít needed another one sinceÖ


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    2,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatL View Post
    One other item always turn your steering wheel all the way to port when boats not in use. This will keep the steering from getting stiff. I had to replace my original steering cable at like 4 years. Haven’t needed another one since…
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have not heard of that before.
    2018 Supra SL400

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Posts
    6,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    I have not heard of that before.
    I'm with ya. not sure I understand the "why" behind this one.

    I know in the world of io's and outboards with hydraulic steering, they say turn one way or the other to reduce stress on the transom and the fluids in the system but not sure I understand why it would matter on wakeboats that use a simple cable in a sheath.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    4,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I'm with ya. not sure I understand the "why" behind this one.

    I know in the world of io's and outboards with hydraulic steering, they say turn one way or the other to reduce stress on the transom and the fluids in the system but not sure I understand why it would matter on wakeboats that use a simple cable in a sheath.
    Perhaps turning it to one side puts the cable all the way inside the casing to protect it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Perhaps turning it to one side puts the cable all the way inside the casing to protect it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Larry exactly. By doing that at least on the rudder for the older boats it keeps the cable completely covered inside the casing. Mine is still like itís brand new. The original one bound up within the first 4 seasons.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    163

    Default

    It may be worse for me as we are in brackish water than for others. Either way itís a simple thing to do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •