Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Raylsv View Post
    I just want to make sure i dont do 99% of the winterizing and then miss out on that one extra step for the ballasts and have it crack. There's also a mention in the video of a ballast knob that needs to be turned? I cant find that on my LSV.
    Ballast knob - no idea what that means. Are they referring to the ball-valves in the bilge to close them when done?

If so, I never did that. I assume that would prevent something from crawling into the opening? But I stored my boat inside a garage.

If the boat was sitting outside with a cover on, I could cover or close all openings, including the exhaust.
    2018 Supra SL400

I want to give a huge thanks to everyone who responded and anyone who responds/adds to this thread after the fact. What great value this forum is adding. Love it.

As much as I'd like to support our local dealer, it's so difficult from a time and logistical stand point. I'm quickly learning that part of being a boat owner is you really have to learn how to do a lot of stuff yourself. And learn to enjoy it. I actually enjoyed winterizing the boat even though i scraped my hand really bad removing one of the stubborn hoses.

And at least i know i did it with care as it's my investment and no one is going to care about this and the reconnections come summer as much as i will.

Thanks again. cheers.
    Ray
    2011 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Raylsv View Post
    I just want to make sure i dont do 99% of the winterizing and then miss out on that one extra step for the ballasts and have it crack.
    Overall on the 325 motors (and the 340 cat motors), your main items to make sure you have water drained:
    1) Muffler - screw on the bottom drains that water
    2) Heater and/or Shower - most boats did not have them.
    3) Two Water Pump Hoses and J-Hose - pulling the hoses and putting them facing the bilge to get the water out
    4) Crossover hose for water in the the exhaust manifolds
    5) V-Drive hoses or brass plugs
    6) Block Plugs (brass) on the bottom of engine - one on each side
    7) Ballast bag/lines to pumps.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Overall on the 325 motors (and the 340 cat motors), your main items to make sure you have water drained:
    1) Muffler - screw on the bottom drains that water
    2) Heater and/or Shower - most boats did not have them.
    3) Two Water Pump Hoses and J-Hose - pulling the hoses and putting them facing the bilge to get the water out
    4) Crossover hose for water in the the exhaust manifolds
    5) V-Drive hoses or brass plugs
    6) Block Plugs (brass) on the bottom of engine - one on each side
    7) Ballast bag/lines to pumps.
    Thanks. I feel pretty good going into winter. Probably the first time in my life I've ever completed a project ahead of time. Lol.

By the way, the garage is heated but my neighbor freaked me out by saying "what if your heated garage fails you" all it takes is one bad freezing day.
    Ray
    2011 LSV

I lived in green bay for 4 years back in 2013. East facing 3 car insulated ceiling and not heated. 45 was the lowest temp I ever saw and that was 2 months of daily highs barely over zero.

Metal uninsulated pole barn is another story tho.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Happened in TX a few years ago. Some do not winterize and they had that sweeping cold front/ice storm that knocked out power for days. Those were temps probably in the 20s, so if you were parked outside, that would get you w/o winterization. A garage attached to the house would help it from not freezing.
    2018 Supra SL400