Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DIY Rear Sun Shade

So I decided to see if i could make a rear sun shade for my Craz. I think it came out pretty good so i thought i would pass along the info. I haven't used it yet on the water so i will update in a few weeks after we get back from a fall weekend trip. I basically used a set of adjustible tent polls and a tent tarp i got from Amazon. There are a lot less expensive adjustable tent poles out there but i went with these. The tarp comes is several sizes but i got the 71" X 87" which is basically a 6' X 7' and fits perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072K1B91Q...t_details&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YSHXB7D...roduct_details
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I used the cup holder on the back of the boat to help secure the tent pole. I had some random bungee cords laying around so i took the hooks off it. I removed the small black plastic drain on the bottom of the cup holder and threaded the bungee through it to make a loop and used a washer underneath the cup holder to hold the knots on the end of the bungee from pulling through. This gave me a loop for the tent pole to slide through.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I had several velcro straps laying around that we use to tie up our ropes and they worked perfect to secure the bottom of the tent pole to the boat and then the bungee from the cup holer.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I sewed a loop onto the tarp to go over the tower pole and then just used a couple of bungees to hold the sides of the tarp to the tower. I will have to fool with this and see what is the best anchor point for the tarp to the side of the tower when the bimini is up. I really is quite sturdy and i don't think we will have any problems with it. I'll follow up in a couple of weeks and let you know how it worked.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

First off, bravo and it looks good.

I only see 3 issues if you plan on using while moving.
    1. The poles could rub your transom and leave marks
    2. Same for the feet on the swim pad
    3. Not sure how the rope will do over the top if you want it up while boarding/surfing

Very interested though. Looks good!
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Nice job. Really covers the entire area.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    First off, bravo and it looks good.

I only see 3 issues if you plan on using while moving.
    1. The poles could rub your transom and leave marks
    2. Same for the feet on the swim pad
    3. Not sure how the rope will do over the top if you want it up while boarding/surfing

Very interested though. Looks good!
    I don't plan on using it while moving, just floating/relaxing. It might be interesting to see if we could surf with it. We have a pro tower that has side tow points that might work. We'll have to see if the rope would hit the pole. I definitely would not have it up while trying to teach someone to sure but for those who are seasoned surfers i bet it would be fine. We will see......
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

That really is a nice job. You could go so far as to find sort of flange that mounted to the swim platform to hold the pole securely. Either a surface mount, or drill a hole and recess it if you really got serious. You could probably put a bottom in the recess version and not use a thumb/set screw. Or something similar to these. There are lots of choices out there to accomplish the same.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    That really is a nice job. You could go so far as to find sort of flange that mounted to the swim platform to hold the pole securely. Either a surface mount, or drill a hole and recess it if you really got serious. You could probably put a bottom in the recess version and not use a thumb/set screw. Or something similar to these. There are lots of choices out there to accomplish the same.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    When I was looking into this I was going this route but permanently removing my cup holders. Just put pole mounts in and be done with it. No one uses the transom cup holders in my crew but using the holes they are replaceable when I want to sell.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

@knoxmojo has a setup that uses a tesla sunroof shade that works pretty slick with his SA.
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags
    Heatercraft triple heater