Default Need New Speakers for Roswell Cans

Hi folks, I haven’t posted in sometime. I need some audio advice from the experts. One of the speakers in our Roswell cans needs replacing. It’s a 6.5” enclosure with Polk Audio MM652 6.5” speakers. The cans have a integrated grill with built in LED’s. So we need a replacement speaker that does not have the tweeter built into the grill; it won’t fit in these cans. The speaker and tweeter need to be all one piece. We have two of these cans driven by a dedicated MTX Thunder TM452 amp (4 Ohms RMS Power Output 45W x 2). A few options presents itself. Keep the current cans and replace the speakers. I’m looking at the Kicker 45KM654 (power range: 2-65 watts RMS: 195 watts peak power) or change the cans and go with a new set of cans such as the Exile SXT-7 (4 pms 250 watts RMS and 500 watts peak).
    We strictly surf and all we want is to be able to hear music at that distance.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by yukon2007; 09-02-2022 at 09:14 AM.

MTX Wet65C are 65W rms speakers. Grill is removable and the tweeter stays put.
    Kicker KM6.5 should work also. The grills go around the tweeter but not built into the grill.

I have the 6.5 Roswell swivels on my MOJO also. Exile makes adapter plates and you can change to anything you want. Might get some bad looks here but if you change them out completely, I would look at something other than wet sounds.
    Last edited by Holdmybeer; 09-02-2022 at 09:32 AM.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Why not go with a speaker with built-in LEDs and leave off the original grill? Ive done this with a number of old Wet Sounds Pro-60 HLCDs. Replaced the driver and grill with a 6.5" coaxial.

Dont get too hung up on rms and peak specs. These do not dictate the output or volume of a speaker compared to any other. Also, that 250 rms / 500 peak for the exile 6.5" coaxial is totally unrealistic and borderline false advertising. Absolutely guarantee they will NOT handle 250W more less 500W.

@holdmybeer

Wet Sounds offers one 6.5" tower pod and two 6.5" in-boat speakers. May help the OP if you explain why you would discount the entire brand. While sound quality is in the ear of the beholder, all three of these speaker models are very solid and high quality.

If you do decide to go with a new pod, id seriously consider stepping up to an 8" and a little more amp wattage. This will improve both the volume and sound quality. The added wattage help get the speaker to it optimal performance, while maintaining clean audio signal to it. For a 6.5" coaxial tower pod, I like to be in the 100W rms range. For an 8", its in the 200W rms range amp pairing.

Just note, tower adapters from manufacture A will likely not work with tower speakers from manufacturer B. So exile's plates likely wont let you change to "anything".

I went with all Exile on my Mojo matched to their amps. Everyone that got on my boat said it was one of the best systems they have ever heard. The new owner has contacted me several times raving about it and how it gets compliments all the time. If me, I would upgrade the entire system, buy once cry once. If you start patchworking it together, it might sound worse than when you started.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Are they this style roswell can?

Because if they are there is an allen that holds the speaker to a bra ket from the back. I had a hard time finding a speaker to fit and found it would be easier to just replace the can.
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags
    Heatercraft triple heater

I have those cans but on the sides only with swivels.
    The previous owner replaced the upper 6.5 cans with Rev8 Wet Sounds.

@MLA
    You are correct WS does make quality stuff. However, I find the Rev series towers to be abrasive and not complete. They are built to throw sound the distance not have great sound. Again, my opinion but their construction is similar to a PA speaker.

As for the exile brackets, you are correct. They are specially made for Exile speakers cans. But the mount has a more adaptable mount that could meet other manufacturer's mounts. The OP has the A3 tower based on the photo so you should have an easier time finding adapters. My S-Bend is very limited.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

I find the Rev series towers to be abrasive and not complete. They are built to throw sound the distance not have great sound. Again, my opinion but their construction is similar to a PA speaker.
    The OP is in luck....................Wet Sounds does not offer a 6.5" HLCD. However, they do offer a 6.5" Recon series and 8" Icon series dome tweeter coaxial. But yes, an HLCD (regardless of the manufacturer, is designed to project over a longer distance then a traditional dome tweeter. So condemning an HLCD for its SQ compared to a dome tweeter is like poo-pooing an F250 ride quality compared to a Cadillac sedan. Its also misleading to condemn the entire Ford lineup over one model.

Mxmark4, yes those are my Roswell cans. I spoke with Roswell and they recommended a Fusion speaker. Off hand I cannot remember the model number.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon2007 View Post
    Mxmark4, yes those are my Roswell cans. I spoke with Roswell and they recommended a Fusion speaker. Off hand I cannot remember the model number.
    Yukon - I still have 4 factory Roswell cans and speakers from my 2016 Mojo - with the s-bend tower as noted above by holdmybeer. Not sure if that works for your situation but if please let me know.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE