Thread: Boat title help

Default Boat title help

At risk of looking like a total idiot because I went against my better judgement, I traded one of my jetskis for a pontoon boat to take the kids fishing. (Not excited about having fish and hooks in my moomba max)

The problem is the title is not in the guys name that sold it to me. I didn't realize it until we were trading titles and I went ahead with the deal anyways. Stupid me.

Does anybody have any luck or advice getting the titles transferred. The texas parks and wildlife said I need to track down original owner who's name is on the title but I have tried that with no success. Now the guy I traded it from no longer is answering calls.

I have heard somebody say transfer it to a different state but not sure which state or requirements.

Anybody have any luck or success? Really don't want to sell the boat and give somebody else the same problem.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    - Jason
    2019 Moomba Max

Some states will do a lost title search and do a new one.

Pontoons are easier than other boats because they are often cobbled together or rebuilt.

Unless the original owner has a stolen claim on it, it should be doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by htfit View Post
    The texas parks and wildlife said I need to track down original owner who's name is on the title but I have tried that with no success.

In TX do they have some type of Bonded Title?
    2018 Supra SL400

every state is different so not sure this is the right place to be asking for assistance. what works for us in nevada might not help you in texas.
    if it was me, I'd spend some time with the dnr there in person and see what they can do for you. they should have the old owners' contact info since it had to have been registered at some point. I assume you have a bill of sale from the guy you swapped? that all helps your case. my experiences with dnrs in wisconsin/idaho/nevada have been much different and more willing to help than dmvs and with your case being not the norm, they might have a supervisor that will help you get it done. likely not going to be easy tho. I see several hours of your time involved in this.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I bought a jet ski and got only a bill of sale once. When I took it in to register it, they told me same thing it wasnt registered to the guy I bought it from. They look at it as tax evasion in TN I guess and I told them to take it up with him. Told them I needed it registered, and they could go after the seller if they wanted. They ended up registering it for me. Give them the info of the guy you purchased from and try that angle. Or show up and take your jet ski back.
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags
    Heatercraft triple heater

I think the lost title approach is the best way. Just show them the bill of sale and say that is all I have. For all they know the original owner lost the title. As was stated earlier, if no stolen report has been generated, then it shouldn't be too difficult.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Make sure it isn't stolen.
    Find a friend that is a notary in your state.
    The rest is pen to paper and paying taxes and register fees.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Awesome, thank you! I think I am going the lost title route and apply for a bonded title after doing some more research and reading all the forms. About a 1 to 2 month process it seems like but may be the easiest overall route and the best shot at getting one.

Thank you for all the feedback!

- Jason
    2019 Moomba Max