Default Becoming a boat owner

Pulled the trigger and secured a spray date to become a first time boat owner this past weekend. 2023 Makai. We have rented boats 4 to 5 times a year for the past decade. Most of the rental boats have been pontoon so will have to relearn how to drive a boat. Its exciting and scary at the same time.

Attached my build sheet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats….

I jumped into a 22 Makai for my first time owning one as well! I am still dialing in (about 50 hours so far) but loving it…. I am certain other will chime in but the one thing that stands out to me is the prop selection, I see you went with the more general prop over surf specific?

67EB2EC7-D0FF-4124-A6DA-E29C90D077C6.jpg

Congrats. 50 hr makai owner here also. You'll love it.
    2022 Makai 400
    15.5x16.5 prop (18 back up)
    Chilltech
    Premium Wetsounds Package
    WakeMakers (custom) bag upgrade

The boat we water tested with the dealer had the 400 and general prop. With the three of us and full ballast it seemed to get up on plane with no issues. We plan on mostly surfing so the dealer did not think we needed the 450 or a different prop. I guess time will tell and I assume a prop change is not unreasonable.

Where are you using the boat? Lower elevations and the standard prop should be fine, but higher and you may notice it being a little sluggish if you load up with 10 or 12 people and fill the ballast. I have a 21 Makai with a 400 and the 15.5x15 surf prop and never have any issues. But I am in South Georgia with practically no elevation.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    Where are you using the boat? Lower elevations and the standard prop should be fine, but higher and you may notice it being a little sluggish if you load up with 10 or 12 people and fill the ballast. I have a 21 Makai with a 400 and the 15.5x15 surf prop and never have any issues. But I am in South Georgia with practically no elevation.

We are in Missouri. We will mostly be on Table Rock lake and Norfork in Arkansas. We just bought our retirement plot off Norfork but will not build for several years.

Norfork elevation is 552 MSL at full pool

Congrats!!! Looks like a great build!! You should be good with the prop you spec'd. If you end up loading it up heavy and need more you can always buy a 15.5x15 and have one as a spare which is always a good idea anyways.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post
    Congrats!!! Looks like a great build!! You should be good with the prop you spec'd. If you end up loading it up heavy and need more you can always buy a 15.5x15 and have one as a spare which is always a good idea anyways.
    Thanks for the info. As this is my first boat. Not sure how to read the prop specks. Is the first number the pitch after teh decimal the number of blades and the last number the diameter?

The first number is the diameter of the propeller and the second number is the pitch. Check out this link. https://www.discoverboating.com/reso...ropeller-pitch

2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub