Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Also, manual specifically states required use of API-SN ... but for those that dont know, API-SP supersedes SN and is backwards compatible.

https://news.kixxoil.com/your-compre...ide-to-api-sp/
    2022 Mojo - 400 - flow 3 - OJ 930 15.5x15 prop - 1k lead - 2.5-3k elevation

previous: 2007 centurion elite V air warrior

Quote Originally Posted by vdubnick View Post
    Also, manual specifically states required use of API-SN ... but for those that dont know, API-SP supersedes SN and is backwards compatible.

https://news.kixxoil.com/your-compre...ide-to-api-sp/
    What brand of oil are you using for API-SP? And how much does that cost per quart?

Charts and boxes aside, dealers are telling people to get their boats in for that 20-hour service - where they change the oil among other things.
    Then you go back to your routine based on how you use the boat. Even back in my I/O days and a low hour season, I still changed the oil 1x per year. I've had people tell me that 50 is the norm for surf boats - so if that makes them happy and sleep better at night - my response was go for it.

I think it's more important to check your levels during that first 100 hours to make sure you are not running low. Don't really hear this on the Raptors, but I know back on the GM motors and the bigger 496 motor it liked to burn a little oil. Also, when changing oil, not to overfill or underfill the levels.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    What brand of oil are you using for API-SP? And how much does that cost per quart?

Charts and boxes aside, dealers are telling people to get their boats in for that 20-hour service - where they change the oil among other things.
    Then you go back to your routine based on how you use the boat. Even back in my I/O days and a low hour season, I still changed the oil 1x per year. I've had people tell me that 50 is the norm for surf boats - so if that makes them happy and sleep better at night - my response was go for it.

I think it's more important to check your levels during that first 100 hours to make sure you are not running low. Don't really hear this on the Raptors, but I know back on the GM motors and the bigger 496 motor it liked to burn a little oil. Also, when changing oil, not to overfill or underfill the levels.
    i went with penzoil full synthetic 5w-30, its actually one of the lowest cost at walmart (only 24 for a 5 quart jug) I have always preferred mobil, but penzoil makes good stuff. infact, their platinum full syn (from nat gas) performs better than mobil.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-...ntent=In-store

MANN oil filters, they are only about 9 bucks each, MAN-HU7198X, its the same as what the newer volvo 2.5 turbos use, same cartridge as the VW 2.5 (MAN-HU7196X) as well (gasket is different tho).

and yeah, regardless of how much you use the boat, the annual change is just a good habbit as it gives you time to look other things over. I havent seen anyone analyze their oil like i do in the car scene, but if you really wanted to know if it needs changes, send a sample to blackstone labs. but if you are doing the change yourself, the cost doesnt make sense. 40 bucks for me to change the oil, im sure the dealer will charge a couple hundred more to change it and pull some water plugs
    Last edited by vdubnick; 11-07-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    2022 Mojo - 400 - flow 3 - OJ 930 15.5x15 prop - 1k lead - 2.5-3k elevation

previous: 2007 centurion elite V air warrior

I know a little while back that someone on social media posted about sending the boat oil to Blackstone Labs at the oil change interval. Their test came back normal

Yea, with the remote filters and drain hoses it's really easy for anyone to change oil and avoid that dealer up-charge.
    2018 Supra SL400

I think any Caterpillar equipment dealer will be able to lab test your fluids. Purchase a sample bottle for each fluid you want tested. The lab will check the condition of the fluid, including the condition of the additives along with presence of contaminants such as dirt, metal, fuel, water , etc. This is a great way to see if you need to change the oil as often as SC recommends. It might also come in handy if you are ever in a warranty dispute and they are claiming you ran your oil too long and it failed.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2slow View Post
    I think any Caterpillar equipment dealer will be able to lab test your fluids. Purchase a sample bottle for each fluid you want tested. The lab will check the condition of the fluid, including the condition of the additives along with presence of contaminants such as dirt, metal, fuel, water , etc. This is a great way to see if you need to change the oil as often as SC recommends. It might also come in handy if you are ever in a warranty dispute and they are claiming you ran your oil too long and it failed.
    Ahh, that is where I read about sending oil off to the lab - it was a warranty issue on a bad motor.
    2018 Supra SL400