Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Towing with older SUV’s

Anyone tow their current boat with an older SUV?
    My boat scales in at 7700lb.

A buddy of mine has a nice 05 Denali with a cammed/bolt on swapped LQ9. 100k on the truck/engine.
    I haven’t had a nice ls based fun ride for a while and I’ve kind of taken a liking to it to use as a dog/boat hauler. 2nd row captains and a 3rd row also.

We usually keep some type of older vehicle that we use as our beater, and after I sold my 6.0 f350 a few years back we haven’t had one.

Keeps the huskies out of my new longhorn.

Max tow cap is 8100lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have towed our Mojo multiple times with a 5.3L Yukon XL. The boat scaled at 6200 full of gas, gear, lead, etc. Max tow package gives us 8100 towing but that doesn't assume 4 people, 2 dogs, and gear going to the lake. Norris hills were rough but I left it in 5th gear not Drive and always use tow haul mode.
    Factory rear air suspension is a must and take your time. Don't feel I used all 355hp to tow but I was certainly using all 375 lbft of torque. The 6.2 or a supercharger would have been nice.

I finally got my 2500hd that I ordered so the Yukon is back to grocery/kid hauler and not my boat puller.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    We have towed our Mojo multiple times with a 5.3L Yukon XL. The boat scaled at 6200 full of gas, gear, lead, etc. Max tow package gives us 8100 towing but that doesn't assume 4 people, 2 dogs, and gear going to the lake. Norris hills were rough but I left it in 5th gear not Drive and always use tow haul mode.
    Factory rear air suspension is a must and take your time. Don't feel I used all 355hp to tow but I was certainly using all 375 lbft of torque. The 6.2 or a supercharger would have been nice.

I finally got my 2500hd that I ordered so the Yukon is back to grocery/kid hauler and not my boat puller.
    I’m probably gonna put a whipple/magnusen on it for kicks. I’m just looking for something to tinker with and have a good time but also solve the boat/dog problem and keep it off my $100k truck lol

Quote Originally Posted by j.mo View Post
    I’m probably gonna put a whipple/magnusen on it for kicks. I’m just looking for something to tinker with and have a good time but also solve the boat/dog problem and keep it off my $100k truck lol

Yeah no dogs in the new truck either.

If you go this route, the LQ9 can become a fun ride quickly. I helped build an E85 one that hit over 800hp on the dyno and could be driven daily. Twin turbos are way more fun than superchargers but room to stuff them is a premium.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    Yeah no dogs in the new truck either.

If you go this route, the LQ9 can become a fun ride quickly. I helped build an E85 one that hit over 800hp on the dyno and could be driven daily. Twin turbos are way more fun than superchargers but room to stuff them is a premium.
    I’m just thinking simple. I’ve had a few bolt on LS builds over the years, and they are just fun, easy, and cheap.
    LQ4 in my h2, and an LQ9 in my Silverado 1500 after I hydrolocked the 5.3 .

Never had boost on one though. Got them both to that point and just moved on. Got tired of the smog bs too. Don’t have that problem anymore
    It’s very simple these days to bolt on a TVS, already intercooled. They sound cool and should help with the tq to tow.
    I’ll be in it said and done probably 15 grand. That’s a lot of fun for 15 grand why not lol.
    I’ve always liked those 05-06 denalis. Idk how much I’ll like it now after having new vehicles, but you NEVER get sick of the sound of a choppy cammed LS lol.
    I sold my 100k mile LBZ a few months back because I just couldn’t get into it anymore after my newer trucks over the years and it was just too valuable to have it sit around.

With this thing I figure what the hell.
    2nd row Captains chairs, 3rd row. Dogs, driver, whatever. Friends get in wet at the lake, who cares. Concert in a dirt lot, who cares. Dogs wipe their noses, whatever. Obviously I don’t trash anything I have but it’s always nice to have THAT vehicle.

Could not agree more.
    I don't have to deal with smog either. My old Duramax deleted LMM I sold for what I paid for it in 2010. It was a nice truck but 14yrs old 113k miles and I got my money back. Couldn't pass that deal up.
    The new one is the L5P but it's staying stock. No more playing with the "nice" cars.

That Denali sounds like a fun toy that can still work. If you do have smog issue, converting to E85 is a quick way to have zero emission equipment and still pass. Being able to run close to 16:1 compression (under boost) without blowing rods is real fun also. The lope sound gets me everytime.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

When I bought my SL a few years ago I bought a 2004 6.0 Excursion as my pull truck.

Had it for 3 years and probably put less than 3k miles on it. Fun to drive and rides well.

2018 Supra SL400

we towed several boats with an '00 f150 heavy half with the 5.3 and it did a solid job. towed from idaho to green bay with it and averaged 8-9mpg's at 70-75 all the way there. boat scaled around 7k loaded up with gas/gear/weight.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Towing with older SUV’s

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    we towed several boats with an '00 f150 heavy half with the 5.3 and it did a solid job. towed from idaho to green bay with it and averaged 8-9mpg's at 70-75 all the way there. boat scaled around 7k loaded up with gas/gear/weight.
    Did you drop a 5.3 GM V8 in that Ford or mean a 5.4 triton

Last edited by larry_arizona; 08-08-2022 at 02:30 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I tow my 2016 Mojo with a 2013 Durango with the 5.7 Hemi. Tow rating is 7800 lbs. It is fine most of the time. It really didn't like Parley's Canyon on I-80 between SLC and Park City with 6 people and 300 lbs of lead in the back of the vehicle. It did just fine until a truck pulled in front of me doing 30 and I had to slow down. The rest of the way, I was stuck between gears. It didn't help that it was 98 that day.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)