Default Yet Another Problem w/ 07 XLV GG

So I’m out on the lake late on Friday night. And as I’m heading to the house I notice the smell of burning rubber, not good. So I stop the boat to take a look at the engine and I can’t see anything wrong. So I go to take off and when I get up to around 25 MPH the engine starts to stutter so I take another look. When I open up the compartment I see tons of water poring into the engine compartment from the bottom right side of the engine. It’s pumping in more water then the bilge pump can pump out. So I start for the boat launching ramp which is about a mile away. As I’m heading in the engine safety kicks in and the boat slows to 2,000 RPM. Just as I get to the ramp the engine dies and as the boat slows down I feel water rush around my ankles, at least 3 inches of water. Need less to say I get the boat on the trailer and take another look at the engine. Now I can see a huge crack in the large hose that goes into the top right side of the engine (340 HP engine). So I now know that I have at least two busted hoses. Call the dealership and they act like its no big deal that the engine should be fine. Yea no big deal, by brand new 6,000 pound paper weight with 15 hours is setting in the drive way wasting away the weekend. Of course can’t take the boat in till Tuesday but I was wondering if you all think the engine will be fine. Sorry for the long rant, had to get it off my chest.

Simply sounds like a hose was being rubbed by a pulley and got cut. These engines are pretty resilient. It all depends on where the water got too. Electronics may need checking out, but I doubt you cracked the block - that is much higher, and still runs fairly cool. Dealer will take care of you, and SC stands behind the products. Take a breather and see what next week's news brings.

-Joe

I agree with Joe. It is a good idea to check the raw water supply hose as it snakes past the pulleys and belts. The hose is stiff and placement of the hose is limited. I've had to tie wrap the hose back on my Mobius in one spot where the hose was rubbing on the alternator belt.

Yep...you can unloosen one of the hose clamps (the upper one) and put a slight 'twist' away from the pulleys, then tighten the clamp back down. I noticed that'd be an issue about 2-3 weeks into owing me '04. I did that little trick, 'no worries' since.
    Hope this helps
    B

bradcraig, I assume you are talking about the J-hose that comes from the impeller and goes to the thermostat. This may simply be a defective hose that cracked and has nothing to do with Skiers Choice.

Anyway, you need to check your oil to make sure water didn't get in the engine. If water got in (not likely), the oil will be a milky color. Also, check to make sure your blower, bilge pump and alternator are working properly. Check the alternator on your guage after your fire her up when the hose is replaced and make sure it's charging.

Hopefully you'll get the new hose quickly and be back in business without delay.

Interesting, if the leak is past the raw water pump all one has to do is shut off the engine to stop the water flow except for the water still in the hose. Water would get into the engine in the same place oil can come out of the engine which is the dip stick, vents and filler on the top side.

The start of the boating season should include checking the hose clamps as many of them came off during winterization.