Default 2015 Supra SG 550 - Polk UM1 unit now dead!

Hi Guys,

Well my Polk Audio UM1 unit is now toast! Last year one of the RCA line outs stopped working and this year nothing works.

My question is whether to find another UM1 somewhere ( they are hard to find ) or to upgrade to something better. If I upgrade to something else, then I won't be able to run it though the vision screen. I don't have a problem with that as I know that they can be controlled by apps on your phone etc.

I was thinking of going Wetsounds, Rockford or Fusion.

Thanks
    2015 Supra SG 550

fwiw...

our last '20 tige had stereo integrated into the screen-no outboard unit. tige before had similar to you with HU displayed thru tigetouch.

the tigetouch/HU boat had the clarion oem replaced with a JL mediamaster unit from first owner and would not display on the tigetouch due to compatibility(similar to your thoughts above). they added a puck at the drivers helm and HU was in the glovebox. the setup was easy to deal with but the JL was pure crap. hit or miss being able to use usb sticks for music and constantly had to cycle on/off during an outing. they make great subs/amps but run far away from their HU's. had they used a different HU/puck, I think the setup was great.

the '20 didn't have an outboard unit-was all integrated into the tige GO system/screen. it was an audio hot mess if you wanted to add to it so we ditched it altogether and I installed a fusion 210 at the helm next to the throttle stick. the unit is super shallow and I was able to modify the upholstery and dremel out the tub to accomodate the unit. curves on the r23 had the fusion unit still several inches away from the outside hull so quite a bit of room left over and a MUCH easier install than trying to shoehorn in an already crowded dash. BEST move we have done in the last couple boats. the unit-for the part of a season we still owned the boat-performed flawlessly and although not compared next to each other, the overall sound quality seemed to be much improved over the onboard tige screened stereo.

my only advice to someone would be IF you install the head somewhere else(jockey box), buy a unit that has a pretty robust puck and install that at the dash. it'll make it a lot easier than trying to use a phone while driving and if your phone is set up to lock it'll save you having to give the code to someone else while you take your set behind the boat. nothing worse than having to sit in the water floating and waiting for your next tug while you have to explain to your driver how to get into your phone again to adjust something.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Yes, I had a Tige also before the Supra. Music was available thru the tigetouch screen and had a Clarion deck in the glove compartment. Never had any problems...

The Polk system that came with the boat has been replaced by jl audio equipment except for the UM1 unit and black box.

RF, Wetsounds and Fusion have good systems. The fusion decks won't cover up the hole left from the UM1. Totally different shapes. RF has a bt remote that can clamp on the steering wheel. That might be a good option but a bit pricey.
    2015 Supra SG 550