Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2023 Max Build ?'s

Hey All,

I've been without a boat for a few years after having to sell my 05 Outback for responsible adult reasons.. but have decided to get back into the game now that my daughter is a little older. I just put a deposit down with my local dealer for a build slot on a 2023 Max.

As stupid as it sounds, I'm hoping to be at least a little frugal.. so hoping you guys can help me on some thoughts on options. Below are a few of the big ones I'm kicking around right now.

-7" touch screen over standard (+$1500 or so). I can't seem to find what the standard option looks like and whether it's also a touch screen. Any thoughts?

-G6 Flow 2.0 upgrade or G6 Flow 3.0 upgrade over the standard Flow 2.0 included with the build. I understand the G6 fills faster, but are either of these "must-haves"?

-Surf Pipe?

-Depth Finder?
    2023 Moomba Max
    2005 Moomba Outback (Sold)

I know there are some previous threads that talk about the "must haves".

Me personally, if trying to get under a certain budget I would skip all the items I can add later on, tower speakers, sub, board racks, etc and get the things that you can not add or very difficult to add on later.

If your going to surf I would get the G6 and have 6 pumps. I would not skip the 6 pumps. I would skip flow 3.0.

I would get the 7" screen. The 4" screen leaves you wanting more (which I have) and limits the amount of information you can see at one time. You can only choose 3 items to view at a time without reprogramming it. Depth, water temp, rpms, hours, wake plate position, engine temp, oil pressure, etc. All things I would like to see when I get in the boat.

You can add a surf pipe later on but it is a pita and may be cheaper to add during the build. I think that also would be a must have but there may be ppl on here that don't have one or think it is unnecessary. But why risk more exposure to Carbon Monoxide when surfing.

Depending on where you live Bimini may be optional, but it is nice having the surf pockets on it.

Also, plan on buying the wake makers ballast upgrade. That is a must unless you always have a large crew when surfing.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by htfit; 06-26-2022 at 07:54 PM.
    - Jason
    2019 Moomba Max

As far as the 7” screen I can’t speak to if I would go with it over the 4” as I have never run the 4”. I can say I really like the 7” screen and if you want to run any maps you have to have it.

I would say G6 with 2.0 is a minimum especially since you will want to upgrade your rear bags. Having the 6 pumps helps cut down on fill times and also makes AutoWake’s adjustments happen quicker.

Surf pipe to me is a must not only for the carbon monoxide exposure reduction but it also is the single best upgrade you can do for your stereo.

Depth finder - I would never own a boat without one but that is just me. When it comes to surfing you always want to make sure you are in 20+ feet so might be worth the $ unless you know the lake like the back of you hand and it is consistent

I have never been one to buy a boat with resale in mind but if you are all of those things will help resale later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Having a G3 (3 pump system) G6 is a must and flow 2.0 minimum.

The 4" screen "works" but the 7" with autowake is what you want.

Depth finder is a must where I live but if the lakes you travel are all 50ft plus then really not needed.

Surf pipe is optional to me based on many factors.
    1) I like the safety
    2) I like the noise reduction
    3) I don't like the sharpness - seen people (kids) with cuts climbing in the boat
    4) seen used as a step
    5) seen many with cracked welds (yes even 2022 models) and the hull takes on water.

Bimini top is cheaper thru moomba than aftermarket
    Stereo can always be upgraded when budget allows.

Can you cut some cost out of the trailer?
    Do you need laser cut led steps?
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

I am like you, very frugal and so I know exactly where your coming from…but I often times regret not spending the extra money (when we can easily afford)..

The 7” touch screen is nice and I wish I had it. Does not prevent us from doing whatever we want and having a great time on the lake..It’s a nice to have.

I wouldn’t spend the money for G6 pumps (or whatever they are called)- by the time I get the surf board down, line hooked up, life jacket on and in the water, everything is full. Again, nice to have but not necessary.

We don’t have a surf pipe, so no idea what we are missing nor have we ever had issues with exhaust. Again, doesn’t stop of from doing whatever we want.

Don’t add any stereo options..they are overpriced. Stock comes with four 6.5” wet sound speakers- I recently added an amp and 10” sub box myself for a fraction of the cost and it sounds great.

Depth finder is a must.

Dual battery’s can be added cheaper yourself, but nice to have from Moomba. I added in myself for $125 (battery, switch and cables).

Transom steps on the trailer is a must!

Bimini a must.

Swing tongue a must.
    2021 Moomba Max

I’ve heard for 2023 the 7” screen will become standard. The builder won’t reflect that of course but your dealer should be able to tell you what is coming down the pipeline after the SC dealers meeting.

As for whether to get it or not if it’s not standard the answer is YES get it! You’re locked out of some newer features and it’s a pain to get all the info you need on the smaller screen.

Yes get G6. It’s a must have if you’re not wanting to wait for ballast or plan to add bigger bags. If you get Autowake I think you’ll need G6 anyways so it can quickly make changes.

You could probably skip the surf pipe but I’ll tell ya I wish mine had one and my next boat for sure will. I would get the factory surf pipe over aftermarket FAE since they seem to have far less cracking and weld failures.
    Last edited by haknslash; 06-27-2022 at 06:14 AM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

I did not get the depth finder because i know my lake and don't plan on taking my boat to any other lakes. But that's what works for me and might not for you.

As others have mentioned my must haves would be this.

G6 with flow 2.0 min, 3.0 if you can
    Depth finder, I wouldn't have a boat without it
    Dual batts with charger
    Trailer steps
    Bimini
    Boat cover
    Gatorstep deck kit or add it later as thats a pretty easy one to add
    the 7" display would be nice but thats a pretty big upgrade unless it becomes standard on the max
    PTM mirror or plan on buying one to add to it
    at least fixed wakeboard racks, swivel is for sure a nice one pulling up to docks
    Spare tire want it factory so they weld the bracket on the trailer and its painted the same

We skipped the surf pipe as there were just too many weld issues I didn't want to deal with, maybe later we'll add one
    Sound system that's up to you. You can save some $ there and do it later if you wanted.

You can work on the colors a bit and save some $ there as well. We ended up just building ours how we wanted it so I didnt have to change anything out or upgrade later, just hit the lake and go. Good luck picking out the options its kinda fun.
    2021 Makai

My first wake boat was our 2022 max that we built, waited 8 months, and picked up sight unseen.

I regret not getting the G6 ballast but honestly waiting a few extra minutes hasn’t really been that big of a deal for us.

We got the 7 inch screen and I wouldn’t change that

We only got 1 battery, and no surf pipe.. when I took it back for the 50hr break in service, I had them order me a surf pipe and install a second battery for peace of mind when sitting anchored and jamming out and Without the surf pipe, the boat is so loud when surfing.

I opted to get the sub/amp and tower speakers on the build because I wanted to hear the music from the wave. That one is up to you.

We also got the gps mapping and depth finder and wouldn’t change that.

The other thing I regret not getting is the steps on the trailer. Don’t skip out on the trailer options if you intend on trailering your boat alot.

I’m certainly a capable person when it comes to doing my own work but honestly I just don’t have the time with work. My spare time I prefer to be ON my boat. So, if you’re the same, just get what’s going to make you enjoy your time on the boat rather than trying to save the money up front. Just like others have said, the wakemakers upgrade is a must unless you’re running with 6+ people in your boat at all times. Even then, for $700, it’s a no brainer.
    ‘22 Moomba Max
    Wakemakers factory bag upgrade (yes its worth it)
    Surf Regular, plate at 65, speed 11.1, pitch: 8.5, roll: -1.5
    Still tinkering with everything

Thank you all for the input! I’m sure this topic has been done to death, but was hoping to get current info from you guys on the options I’m kicking around. Such a big purchase and I’m terrified of rising interest rates which are sure to push this to the brink of affordability for me haha.

Does anyone have input on what their realistic timeline was on their build? I have slot held, but if we actually place the order once the 2023 catalog is live in the next few weeks, is it realistic to think we’ll have the boat in the Spring? Thanks again!
    2023 Moomba Max
    2005 Moomba Outback (Sold)