Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suggestions on Reattaching Surf Platform to Brackets on Mobius

New to me 2013 Mobius LSV - I knew that the platform had been reattached previously as the previous owners didn't use stainless screws. A couple weeks later, daughter was getting ready to wakeboard and said where's the platform.....found it floating not too far away. In looking through the forums, it appears that this is not a unique situation and there's some knowledge out there about getting this fixed for the long run.

So I need to get the platform reattached to the support brackets that then fit into the transom brackets. A couple of questions from those a bit more experienced.

• Can I just use slightly larger screws? recommended sizes? Will definitely use stainless this time!
    • Do I need to fill the holes first -- any recommendation of what I would fill them with to make a permanent bond?
    • Saw someone drilled all the way through and used a washer on the top then covered with new seadek or other padding -- seems heavy duty - any reason I wouldn't want to do that?

I'm a complete noob on this type of thing, so any hints or suggestion are very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

BTW - here's the brackets I'm talking about and the previous owner's rusted screws that are now on the bottom of the lake.

2013 Mobius LSV

I'd suggest working with a dealer and getting the brackets they used from 2014 or 2015+. I did this on my 2013 Mojo and it made a world of difference... the old brackets allowed the platform to move and shake the whole boat anytime a small wave hit the boat from behind and I actually had a bracket fail (but I didn't loose the platform). I think I only paid a few hundred dollars to have this done... and had the manual flow system installed at the same time.
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

I think that is the way to go...but it's also something probably for the off season - our local shops seem super overworked and don't seem to be quick to get anything scheduled. Hope they're still in that price range!

For now, I am looking for a strong/effective Band-Aid until I can get the real fix completed! Will definitely try the plastic shim hack to see if that helps, but still need to get the platform back attached to the support arms first!
    2013 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    I'd suggest working with a dealer and getting the brackets they used from 2014 or 2015+. I did this on my 2013 Mojo and it made a world of difference... the old brackets allowed the platform to move and shake the whole boat anytime a small wave hit the boat from behind and I actually had a bracket fail (but I didn't loose the platform). I think I only paid a few hundred dollars to have this done... and had the manual flow system installed at the same time.
    It's really supposed to loose on the older models? I actually put it on my list this last weekend to look at and tighten mine as it sounds loose any time we're sitting there and a wave hits it, you're saying that's not the case? For reference I have an 05.

Quote Originally Posted by bspong View Post
    I think that is the way to go...but it's also something probably for the off season - our local shops seem super overworked and don't seem to be quick to get anything scheduled. Hope they're still in that price range!

For now, I am looking for a strong/effective Band-Aid until I can get the real fix completed! Will definitely try the plastic shim hack to see if that helps, but still need to get the platform back attached to the support arms first!
    Depending on how permanent of a fix you're wanting, the plumbers epoxy putty hardens like steel so it would definitely old your screws & fill any gap etc...the only problem is it wouldn't be coming back out...but it is only $4 and would take about 30 seconds so could be an option depending on your plans.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...3748243&ipos=1

Default Suggestions on Reattaching Surf Platform to Brackets on Mobius

Quote Originally Posted by Rilez View Post
    It's really supposed to loose on the older models? I actually put it on my list this last weekend to look at and tighten mine as it sounds loose any time we're sitting there and a wave hits it, you're saying that's not the case? For reference I have an 05.
    I can really only speak to my experience on my 2013. There were some set screws that could be tightened and I know some people shimmed the gaps to help reduce the play. I found that changing to the newer style brackets was the fix for me… never again had anything brake or flop around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

You got to get JB Weld into the discussion. Fill the holes and redrill. Somehow, I've been there before. Of course, use SS parts.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    You got to get JB Weld into the discussion. Fill the holes and redrill. Somehow, I've been there before. Of course, use SS parts.
    That's my plan for now... Did you use regular stainless screws? Any idea how long they were? Thanks for the confirmation that this could work!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2013 Mobius LSV

Fill holes with thickened epoxy, redrill and then use 5200 to seal brackets to the hull. 5200 will keep anything from coming apart.
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags
    Heatercraft triple heater

Quote Originally Posted by Mxmark4 View Post
    Fill holes with thickened epoxy, redrill and then use 5200 to seal brackets to the hull. 5200 will keep anything from coming apart.
    this.

I can't speak to the newer boats you are discussing but our old '06 had horrid platform brackets. replaced a couple of the brackets as they were piss poor pot metal and weak as crap. we ended up using larger screws and had to create shims to go between the bracket and the mounting block to eliminate the "slop" in the platform mounts. the waves-as mentioned- would cause pretty much anything else to fail long term if the bracket/platform have any slop in them.

fwiw I do recall someone back in the day removing the swim platform gatorstep, using nut/bolt with a flat top and then reapplying a thicker gator on the platform. memory is fuzzy but I remember it working good but was somewhat expensive and time consuming to remove/reapply the gator.

post up solution and results as it'll likely happen to others and good to have more recent threads with issue/repair....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten