Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2002 vs 2003 Moomba Outback LS

Hoping someone can provide some insight on whether the hull of the Outback LS changed between 2002 and 2003? My dad has had a 2002 Outback LS for many years and it has been a great "family" boat for casual skiing/wakeboarding/tubing/cruising. I am now a dad to 4 kids under 12 and decided this was the summer to buy a boat for my family. I settled on a 2003 Outback LS knowing how functional my dads boat was as I grew up, but I am convinced the wake is twice as big! There are no sacks/mods to the boat, but it feels like the front of the boat also lifts a bit higher before it planes. I'm a little bummed out because my 12 and 9 year old have a difficult exiting the wake to the point I am considering looking for something else. Just hoping to get some insight before I take a bath on this boat and start searching for something else.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Not only is my 03 running a bigger wake, but it has significantly more bow rise when accelerating. I've looked the both boats over and everything looks the same to me. Could a slightly different angle in wake plate or maybe even prop cause this?

Is the wake plate working on your boat. To do everything you are saying the 03 does, sounds like the wake plate is stuck in the up position.

Fuel tank size difference? Extra fuel adds weight to the rear. There isn't hidden lead ballast anywhere from previous owner?
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Maybe there isn’t a wake plate on either boat, I was referring to the flat plate that extends 6” or so beyond the back of the boat, looks like it isn’t adjustable.

Could be fuel I guess, I always top off on my way to the lake so it’s possible. I will try to run it down a bit to see if that makes a difference.

I’m actually thinking it’s the prop. I have a 3 blade 13x11.5 where as my dads is a 4 blade but not sure on size or pitch but will check the next time I am there.

I called it a wake plate but trim tab is more appropriate term.

Is your bent up more than your dad's 2002?

13x11.5 is aggressive. This could be your issue with bow rise at holeshot but it should plane out quick. Might need a little more speed to act similar.
    Last edited by Holdmybeer; 07-14-2022 at 11:18 AM.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Yes, both are open bow Outback LS models. I will take a look at the plate again but I’m pretty sure it’s fixed to the bottom of the boat and isn’t adjustable.

Wake plate can make a big difference on wake size and angle of attack, check that first. It may be adjustable just not from the helm.
    You want it as far down as possible for the smallest wake.

Adding weight to the front can also help, move the cooler up there or have someone sit there and see what happens.

As the kids get used to it and a little older unless they are wanting to slalom ski the bigger the wake the better so IMO you should just adapt to what you have unless your trying to slalom. Most us us add massive amount of extra weight to get bigger wakes after all.

Prop won't make much if any difference in the wake, just how fast you get out of the hole and what your top speed is.
    2020 Supra SA

Back then most used 13x13. I had a four blade but later on I would liked to have had a three blade for skiing. The four blade had a better hole shot but it produced more prop wash. A three blade provided ample pull on the start. Maybe swap props and check it out. Sometimes people will have their blades cupped which would affect performance. I assume the bilge is fairly dry after boating. Same boat hull, same engine and the same prop should produce close to the same results. Good luck.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Foss....looked up the 02 and 03 Outback. Same boat same 5"-6" plate hanging off the bottom of the hull. Only difference being weight placement (i.e. people, gear, fuel level). If your plate is bent up by the previous owner trying to surf with it, this could be your problem. Looks like stock was flat with a 3/4" bend vertical at the rear of the plate.

Sonic is correct, move weight, people to the bow and see if it the wake shrinks for you.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

The wakeplate looks as level as I can tell on both boats, and both boats end up having some water in the bilge but I don't think enough to make an impact. I was recently able to drive both boats with me being the only person in the boat and it is bizarre how different the wakes and hole shot bow-rise is between boats. My boat reminds me of an I/O hole-shot with how high the bow rises.

The only difference I can find between these boats is the prop, which I am going to try to swap before the end of summer to see if there is any difference but doesn't sound like there should be. Other than that, my boat must be heavier in the stern for some reason. If anyone has any other ideas I would be extremely grateful!