Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Air in Ballast Bags - 22 Mojo

I know I've read a few threads making comments around air in ballast bags and needing to "burp" them. I'm finding that I often have a large amount of air left in the bags sometimes but not every time on our new Mojo when they're "full." Adjusting fill timers doesn't seem to help, we're not seeing water vent out the side of the boat and I'm having to open the "Air Release" valve on the bags themselves. What is causing this, why doesn't the factory equipment vent properly? Why did SC go away from a simple through hull vent attached to the top the bags... would changing to this setup negate any of the smart tech features? Thanks!
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

The bags from the factory have those little air relief valves (the ones with 5-6 holes in the top) that are supposed to let the air out but they don't seem to be able to keep up with the pumps. I remember hearing people say that they were more for slowly bleeding any air out that got trapped throughout the day. When I had my factory setup I would flip the switches to fill my bags and immediately open my "Air Release" valves. I would leave them open until water squirted out and then close them. I have since upgraded my rear bags and also installed top vents on them as well. That was a game changer as I no longer have to manually vent my bags. I also installed check valves right before the thru hull fitting to help the bags drain better and not pull air back into them. Making the change won't negate any of your smart features.

In order to get the bags full and venting out the side you usually have to cycle your pumps once or twice after the bags are full and the pumps shut off. You have to do this because you have a sensor on your overflow or vent line that when it sees water will turn the little dot next to you fill % on your screen from yellow to red and it will also shut the pump off. So to get it to flow out the vent you have to cycle it off then on again and you may have to do it a few times as this sensor will want to shut the pumps off again.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Everything TXsurf just said! A cheaper quick fix is to install an air bleeder valve in the top of the bag. I did this to my stock Makai bags. It worked fairly well. You can find them on Amazon or lots of other places. They are primarily used for irrigation lines. IF I recall correctly, you need 3/4" for the stock bags.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I hear ya on the air in the bags. I just installed the Wakemakers top vent kit on my upgraded bags $100 for both sides. I’m not sure though if the stock bags have the top vent to tie into on yours, I think so though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Schlanseay View Post
    I hear ya on the air in the bags. I just installed the Wakemakers top vent kit on my upgraded bags $100 for both sides. I’m not sure though if the stock bags have the top vent to tie into on yours, I think so though.

The factory bags do have the ports to put a top vent on. I wasn’t aware they would kits for this I just bought all the parts and did it my self. I ended up using crimp style hose clamps instead of worm gear to protect the bag.

2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Im a firm believer that a ballast sac or tank needs passive venting. An impeller pump has enough force to pop a bag. Chit, I even know if an MB that a restricted sac vent caused the sac to pop the deck cap from the hull at the rubrail seam. Im also a fan of having that over the side visual and audible signal that the sac is full, when you see and hear the vent purging.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlanseay View Post

What boat is that on? And yea to the stock bag vent question. They have caps you can unscrew and add a vent.

2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by uniwarking View Post
    I know I've read a few threads making comments around air in ballast bags and needing to "burp" them. I'm finding that I often have a large amount of air left in the bags sometimes but not every time on our new Mojo when they're "full." Adjusting fill timers doesn't seem to help, we're not seeing water vent out the side of the boat and I'm having to open the "Air Release" valve on the bags themselves. What is causing this, why doesn't the factory equipment vent properly? Why did SC go away from a simple through hull vent attached to the top the bags... would changing to this setup negate any of the smart tech features? Thanks!
    I did the Wakemakers vent upgrade mentioned here on my boat and it works great. It is a must do upgrade. Until you do this you will have to burp your bags every time you fill. Find the port on the top of your bags labeled “air release “ crack both of them open 1 or 2 turns after you start filling. Leave them open until you don’t hear any air rushing from them and the air has been replaced with a steady stream of water. Close the valve and continue filling and you should have full bags with almost no air.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    What boat is that on? And yea to the stock bag vent question. They have caps you can unscrew and add a vent.

It’s on a Kaiyen

Yeah, this vent kit sounds like the solution... I have to ask though... why did SC go away from this basic setup that works great and adopt all these vent fittings that don't work... and likely have just as much cost wrapped up into them?! Is anyone not having air fill their bags?
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost