Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new 2022 makai quirks

Hello everyone,

So have some other Quirks about the new Makai we got and thought i would put it out there, not complaining we absolutely love this boat! just little quirks that could have been engineered a little better is all..

1. the tower speakers! man I have banged my head into those things like all day long lol! anyone else seem to have the same issue? seems like if the where just tuck over a little more toward the outside of the boat it would be a huge improvement. looks like i could get maybe 4 or 5 inches more if i had a custom bracket made?

2. the remote for the radio on the transom, why would they put a remote back there with a knob for the volume! lol.. the kids had broke that off the first day. bad spot right there for anything sticking out.

3. would have been nice to had an option for a dive platform ladder, its high with no weight in the boat and some people have a hard time getting in and out of the water. has anyone added and after market one? if so please advise.

4. I know wake surfing is the big thing now and it is fun! But i am old school and still love wakeboarding this boat seems ultra sensitive to listing left or right messing up the wake, i am constantly having to direct people around the boat trying to level it out. My old 2003 supra "tradtional straight drive" wasn't has touchy. i am guessing that the auto wake is suppose to take care of that by shifting water around? but i really haven't learned how to use it quite yet and don't even see a option in the setting for wakeboarding?

thanks everyone, any input is great!

Mike

Wow! Your almost a mirror image of some of my comments when I bought mine last year. Speakers; yep, I hit my head, but you will get used to dodging them. Transom remote knob! My kids stepped on mine the second day out and broke it too! Let me guess, you found the knob snapped off and laying in the cup holder?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by mike gag View Post
    Hello everyone,

So have some other Quirks about the new Makai we got and thought i would put it out there, not complaining we absolutely love this boat! just little quirks that could have been engineered a little better is all..

1. the tower speakers! man I have banged my head into those things like all day long lol! anyone else seem to have the same issue? seems like if the where just tuck over a little more toward the outside of the boat it would be a huge improvement. looks like i could get maybe 4 or 5 inches more if i had a custom bracket made?

2. the remote for the radio on the transom, why would they put a remote back there with a knob for the volume! lol.. the kids had broke that off the first day. bad spot right there for anything sticking out.

3. would have been nice to had an option for a dive platform ladder, its high with no weight in the boat and some people have a hard time getting in and out of the water. has anyone added and after market one? if so please advise.

4. I know wake surfing is the big thing now and it is fun! But i am old school and still love wakeboarding this boat seems ultra sensitive to listing left or right messing up the wake, i am constantly having to direct people around the boat trying to level it out. My old 2003 supra "tradtional straight drive" wasn't has touchy. i am guessing that the auto wake is suppose to take care of that by shifting water around? but i really haven't learned how to use it quite yet and don't even see a option in the setting for wakeboarding?

Mike
    1 - As far as the speakers go I haven't had an issue with them but I am not super tall or anything (5'11"). I have hit my head maybe twice in the 3+ years. I have seen somewhere where someone took the side tow points off and added a second pair of Rev10s so if you don't use your side tow points you could always look in to that option.

2 - I keep the cover on the rear radio remote unless we are using it and that helps a lot.

3 - here is a link to a thread all about adding ladders to these swim platforms https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ghlight=ladder

4 - there is a screen in the menu for wakeboard settings but that is just for setting pitch and roll which you shouldn't need to mess with too much for wakeboarding from the factory settings. To "activate" or use it for wakeboarding you just turn autowake on and do not set the system to surf any side. Then you just select your amplitude % and your speed on your zero off and the boat will do the rest as far as leveling side to side to give you a symmetrical wake. It might take a minute or 2 but once both the pitch and roll displays are green you should have a symmetrical wake. Best thing to do is to just test it without a rider and see if the wake is symmetrical. If it is not then you might need to recalibrate you inclinometer. Remember if you want to wakeboard with no additional weight still turn Autowake on and just set the amplitude to "0" and the boat should only pull on ballast to reach desired pitch and roll and nothing more.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

As far as the speakers it was on Supras back in the day when they had the Pro Edge Tower that they had them mounted in place of the side tow points as seen here

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....tial-group-buy

If you are willing to give those up I am sure someone on here could point you to where you could pick up a pair of the mounts.
    Last edited by TXSurf4; 06-14-2022 at 09:38 AM.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

After the second time I broke the knob off of the transom remote I replaced it with the battery powered stick on version. Had to 3D print a mount to cover up the hole but looks good now and works just as well. If I was ordering new I would skip the wired remote and just got that route from the get go.

Also installed a ladder early on. Just used stainless lag bolts and 3M 5200 and it has been holding well for 2 years now with several 250 lb+ people using it on a regular basis.

Totally agree with the tower speakers. A new tower for the Makai that is taller and gets the speakers out of the way might be the only thing that would tempt me to start looking at new boats again.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

Quote Originally Posted by mike gag View Post
    Hello everyone,

Mike
    out transom remote was broken before we picked up the boat... with the knob, it would have made more sense to put it on the port side, that would have given a little more protection. I just make sure to keep the cover on it and it gives enough protection.

as for the tower, that is the main reason i didnt upgrade on my mojo as the A3 tower is slightly taller/wider.
    2022 Mojo - 400 - flow 3 - OJ 930 15.5x15 prop - 1k lead - 2.5-3k elevation

previous: 2007 centurion elite V air warrior

We didn’t option with a transom remote mainly because of the complaints you mentioned. I found more negative complaints about it than good so figured I’d skip it on the build. The Fusion app for my phone seems to do all I’d need it to if I’m not sitting behind the wheel. Give it a try if you haven’t already.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    We didn’t option with a transom remote mainly because of the complaints you mentioned. I found more negative complaints about it than good so figured I’d skip it on the build. The Fusion app for my phone seems to do all I’d need it to if I’m not sitting behind the wheel. Give it a try if you haven’t already.
    Yes. The fusion app does work very well I must say.

2021 Moomba Makai

Quote Originally Posted by cpropes2005 View Post
    After the second time I broke the knob off of the transom remote I replaced it with the battery powered stick on version. Had to 3D print a mount to cover up the hole but looks good now and works just as well. If I was ordering new I would skip the wired remote and just got that route from the get go.

Also installed a ladder early on. Just used stainless lag bolts and 3M 5200 and it has been holding well for 2 years now with several 250 lb+ people using it on a regular basis.

Totally agree with the tower speakers. A new tower for the Makai that is taller and gets the speakers out of the way might be the only thing that would tempt me to start looking at new boats again.
    Of course I would make a comment on this thread and then have someone break the knob off my radio the next weekend LMAO

How did you replace your knob?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post
    Of course I would make a comment on this thread and then have someone break the knob off my radio the next weekend LMAO

How did you replace your knob?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You have my sort of luck! Unfortunately I have not Replaced it. I really don't use the transom remote. Even when floating. We use the little hockey puck. If anyone does fix it I would be curious to see how. It really needs some sort of a recessed dial, or buttons.

2021 Moomba Makai