Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default '21 Mojo ignition/starting issues

over the last month, we've had to be towed in twice to our slip because the boat won't start. when attempting to start the boat, turning the key to the start position and nothing happens. no sounds from the starter or the engine, shifter is in neutral, kill switch clip is connected, both batteries showing 12v. all other systems are functioning, all ballast pumps, 7" touch screen, radio, surf tabs, wakeplate, horn, lights, etc.

first time:
    went out for a morning surf session for about 1hr then drove over to a cover and anchored/floated for 1.5-2hrs. get back in the boat to leave, boat won't start. checked all of the usual suspects, switched batteries, removed/re-connected kill switch lanyard, messed with shifter to make sure in neutral position. boat still won't start. neighbors drive over and tow us in, try to start boat while being towed, still won't start. get the boat in the slip and up on the lift. come down 36hrs later, same issue. after a few failed attempts, turn the key to start, nothing. then 3-4 seconds later engine starts. wtf!?

take it to the dealer to have them give it a once over, boat starts for them every time and they weren't able to find any issues. memorial day weekend, we took the boat out 4 days straight and had no issues.

second time:
    morning surf session for about 1hr, then docked at our neighbors dock for 2hrs. attempt to leave and take kids on a tubing run and same issue again, boat won't start. i get up underneath the dash and do a basic check to the wiring going to the ignition switch, everything feels connected and nothing loose. do all the previous troubleshooting i did before, boat still won't start. towed back to the slip with a jet-ski.

I'm hesitant to go mess with it anymore and waiting on the dealer to come out so they can experience the issue first hand and to do some more checks. we love our boat and had no issues the entire season last year, but man this is really frustrating.

My first thought is an issue with the ignition switch. Any one experienced this or have any thoughts on what the issue could be?
    2021 Mojo
    2019 Chaparral 21 H2O Sport (sold)

Nothing happens when switched on indicates a possible ignition switch issue. Take voltage readings when it operates correctly and compare to when the system is dead.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

There is a safety switch in the throttle that tells when it’s in neutral. My thought is that would be the issue. Maybe try cycling the throttle back and forth and try again. My 2022 sl had this issue once but also one side of the thruster wouldn’t work. Turns out they have had a bunch of defective throttles lately. I was able to get around the thruster issue by applying pressure on the top of the throttle.
    2024 SE550
    2022 SL550 (Sold)

The new boats you have to wait for the system to boot up.
    Turn the key to RUN wait unit the gauges cycle and the screen to boot then turn to start.

If you are doing this and still having the issue, I would let the dealer handle this. Your boat is too new.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

I am no expert by any means but I would say it sounds like it could be something with the ignition switch. Not sure if you are aware of this but these boats have what is called Smart Start so when you go to crank your boat all you have to do it turn it to "start" and then let go and the ignition switch will crank the starter over until the boat starts (or it reaches a predetermined amount of time in which it will stop). You saying "after a few failed attempts, turn the key to start, nothing. then 3-4 seconds later engine starts. wtf!?" makes me think that there is something wrong in the switch.
    Last edited by TXSurf4; 06-08-2022 at 01:14 PM.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Thanks all for the input. Tech is coming out next week for more in depth troubleshooting. hoping a replacement ignition switch is all that's needed. I'll report back with the findings
    2021 Mojo

Angry

**Update**

Tech came out last Wednesday while we were at the beach. Luckily he experienced the starting issue and ended up changing out the ignition switch. He ran the engine for a while as well as starting and shutting off the engine multiple times with no issues.

We take the boat out yesterday, it starts just fine leaving our slip. We do a wakeboard sesh for about 20 min, then go check out a cove. Get to the cove and turn the boat off. Try to start it again 1 min later and it won't start again. At this point I'm super frustrated

Aside from the kill switch and boat not being in neutral, are there any other fail safes that would essentially disable the ability to start the engine?
    2021 Mojo

I highly doubt its your issue but have you mentioned for them to upgrade you to the 22 software? They didn't do mine I guess you have to ask
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

Quote Originally Posted by arsnlgunnr View Post
    **Update**

Tech came out last Wednesday while we were at the beach. Luckily he experienced the starting issue and ended up changing out the ignition switch. He ran the engine for a while as well as starting and shutting off the engine multiple times with no issues.

We take the boat out yesterday, it starts just fine leaving our slip. We do a wakeboard sesh for about 20 min, then go check out a cove. Get to the cove and turn the boat off. Try to start it again 1 min later and it won't start again. At this point I'm super frustrated

Aside from the kill switch and boat not being in neutral, are there any other fail safes that would essentially disable the ability to start the engine?
    I am totally shooting in the dark here, but is there any sort of thermal safety sensor on these boats that might keep it from starting if it senses the engine, tranny/drive, ECM, fuel pump or anything else may be too hot? If so, maybe it's acting up?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    I am totally shooting in the dark here, but is there any sort of thermal safety sensor on these boats that might keep it from starting if it senses the engine, tranny/drive, ECM, fuel pump or anything else may be too hot? If so, maybe it's acting up?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    There may be, but I'm not seeing any fault codes or warning messages.
    2021 Mojo