Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squeal sound

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    Dropping the boat off tomorrow morning. Based off the replies on my FB post it seems this might be a shaft seal issue. A guy posted a video and the sound is very similar to what I heard. They posted the shaft seal SC uses is not the highest quality and they recommended I go with a Glide shaft seal or other higher quality than what the boat came with. I will hopefully know more this week and will let y’all know the updates.
    Seal if fully rebuildable but you have warranty so why bother.

The pictures are a 570hr seal. It was 1-2 drips a sec while powered but nothing while idling or anchored.20220607_205820.jpg
    20220607_205905.jpg
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

I heard back from the dealer today and they said the sounds were normal sounds they’ve heard from other boats and didn’t see any issues. To me the sounds should not be doing it but maybe these are normal sounds that come and go as a boat goes through it’s hours. It ran perfectly fine last time out so perhaps it is what it is and just some random sound that will come and go, eventually going for good one day. I’ll be sure to record a video next time out if it does it again and get more input from everyone.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

So did the dealer hear the same sound?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Apparently so. He said it can be a harmonic sound from the shaft or prop spinning. Idk this is my first vdrive.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

The shaft and prop make a sound when I run mine on the fake a lake in the driveway.
    You wouldn't hear that noise in the lake unless you were the only one on the water but it still isn't a squeal. It is bearings and shaft rotation noise. Similar to a lathe spinning.
    Try greasing the seal under the dog house and see if it improves.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Is there a zerk fitting to use for greasing it? I didn’t realize this was a maintenance item and has to be greased periodicsllly. I wonder if my dealer knows that?…..
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    Is there a zerk fitting to use for greasing it? I didn’t realize this was a maintenance item and has to be greased periodicsllly. I wonder if my dealer knows that?…..
    No zerk. Not in the manual.
    After changing mine, I could visibly see the wear mark where the shaft rubbed the rubber seal and made the hole egg shaped. The seal gets water for cooling but only the inside race (external of hull) the outside race (internal that stops water) is dry all the time. My seal had dry rot cracking on the outside race and the rub marks. Hence why is started to drip.

The grease is just adding moisture to the seal to see if your squeal stops. If so, it might help get you over 250hrs before having to replace it.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

So I just need to loosen the clamps holding the seal to the shaft and then run some grease on the inside of it with my fingers? Anyone got a video link so I can understand better what I need to do to see if this is the culprit? You would think the dealer techs would do this if they know it needs to be lubricated.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Are you only hearing the sound at idle in forward or does it do it in reverse as well? If its not your seal making the noise, it could also be your prop. If you hit the prop on a stick or something in the water, it might be just slightly out of shape, which sometimes causes the prop to make a noise at idle or slightly above idle, somewhat technical name called "prop singing". Kind of has more of a harmonic type of sound. Goes away with more RPM and wont generally do it in reverse.
    2021 Makai

Ruger is correct on prop sounds. Oj's were notorious back in the late 00's for the "growl" on supras even on brand new props. Lots had it. Could be a slight twist.
    I think id lean toward seal tho as well.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten