Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Ok, reviving this as we start to get close (a few months away) to my season up here….

A bit of a read but want to give as much info as possible….

I was really excited about the even larger Makai bags from WM, but, as they are still in production/development, and some soul searching over losing the additional storage space, plus the fact I have upgraded my tow vehicle… so I have pivoted a little and would be interested in hearing some advice about setups…

I have purchased a set of the upgraded WM bags, so there is the additional close to 700lbs of potential there… am working on accumulating the parts to create the venting system as many have done, as well as additional engine panel reinforcements (am working on a bit of a creative solution I will share as it comes to fruition)

Now… we did found during winterization that the centre bags were not emptying fully, and we suspect that may have also led to them not filling properly, my dealer lifted the front of the boat to fully drain, the impellers seem to be the issue, but we will not fully know until we do a lake test (more on that below)

I typically run a very small crew (myself and 5 others estimated about 750lbs), and while everyone was surfing, it surely needs optimizing with this size of a boat… I have been watching and rewatching a lot of the Wake9 stuff, and that has been so much more enlightening after having a half season on the Makai, I know understand the dynamics to the point where I feel I could make some decisions/guesses/estimations about where I need to be…

The lakes I am at the majority (90 percent) of the time are between 1000 and 1300 feet elevation….

Ok, now onto the fun stuff…

I am looking to also supplement the WM bags with lead…. Once we can we are going to lake test the boat with a lot of lead with my dealer (who has been awesome through this), but wanted to do a base setup beforehand….

First ensuring all existing bags do fill fully, so rectifying the issue with the centre bags

I was going to add 200-250lbs in each rear corner, right under the WM bags to start… who has done this? Any feedback….

Then manipulate as much lead as we need to hit the Wake9 determined settings of pitch and roll while also achieving max displacement by:

Adding lead in the storage lockers on either side ahead of the bags, adding lead to the centre of the boat (going under the track can compartment beside the batteries), and also in the very front locker of the boat…

I know some of you are using the WM bags with 1000lbs or more of lead, but your setups on board may be a bit different so I welcome any and all feedback about where you ended up and how you got there (yes I know this has been hashed and rehashed in many other threads and posts, and I have searched all my way through most if not all of them), but what a better way to spend the last days of winter right?

I was guessing I would be at:

WM Bags additional 700 (345 per side)

Under rear bags additional 500 (250 per side)

Ahead of rear bags 200 (100 per side)

Centre near batteries 300

Front bow locker 300

So about 2k more than ‘stock’…. And adjusting as/if required on the lake test….

Thoughts?
    2022 Makai
    Fire Red - Pecan ChillTech - Woodgrain Gatorstep
    400 - 1.76 - 15.5x15 prop (16x13 Acme 3409 installed for testing)
    Ballast Mods: 1000lb of lead and WM Bags

I have two opinion's to share here;

1) I personally keep my 500 lbs of lead behind driver's seat and directly opposite, in the port side space which is normally used for more leg room. You fill the boat to 100% with water ballast, with AW off, you try and get people to pick their preferred seat for the current surfer's session. Only after all of that do I start moving the lead around. Placing it under other ballast bags or gear prevents you from the flexibility that lead gives you. The worst thing that can happen is placing lead under bags and then accidentally turning AW on, and it draining your rears or bow because you forgot to turn it off or because you have 200 lbs of lead in both rears and no one wants to sit in the bow.

2) What magical place are you surfing at in AB/BC/Sask that has you in the water before mid June?
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    I have two opinion's to share here;

1) I personally keep my 500 lbs of lead behind driver's seat and directly opposite, in the port side space which is normally used for more leg room. You fill the boat to 100% with water ballast, with AW off, you try and get people to pick their preferred seat for the current surfer's session. Only after all of that do I start moving the lead around. Placing it under other ballast bags or gear prevents you from the flexibility that lead gives you. The worst thing that can happen is placing lead under bags and then accidentally turning AW on, and it draining your rears or bow because you forgot to turn it off or because you have 200 lbs of lead in both rears and no one wants to sit in the bow.

2) What magical place are you surfing at in AB/BC/Sask that has you in the water before mid June?
    Thanks for the feedback….

For 1) my thought was the amount of ballast I am adding under the bags would be less than the additional that would have come with the even larger WM bags, so it would be static, and after studying and trying to gain some understanding of Ragboys (Wake9) data, the plan is to get the most displacement as possible with the weight and using AW to make those minor adjustments when people move around…. At least I think I am understanding it correctly lol

For 2) could be optimistic but hopeful to dunk into Chestermere mid May at best, hopefully not too much later depending on when the ice melts and they open the gates up a little, though I dont think anyone will have the stones to jump in and surf at that time…. then back off to Arrow and Kootenay Lake for the summer
    2022 Makai

This is just my persona opinion from my experience with my new second Max. I did the upgrade and then focused all my attention with lead on midship compartments and bow. That is what brought my wave to its best height and push. I prefer more push then height, but if I could get the best of both worlds, that is what I shoot for. Sometimes, when my crew likes to chill in the back and watch people surfing, I let out some rear bag weight so my pitch isn't as high. I run about a 7 degree pitch for my ideal push. From what I see, people do focus more attention on rear weight the most before they start the balance. Once you have a good balance, you can add a little in all the areas to get the hull deeper. Just food for thought
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

Quote Originally Posted by Dukabor View Post
    For 1) my thought was the amount of ballast I am adding under the bags would be less than the additional that would have come with the even larger WM bags, so it would be static, and after studying and trying to gain some understanding of Ragboys (Wake9) data, the plan is to get the most displacement as possible with the weight and using AW to make those minor adjustments when people move around…. At least I think I am understanding it correctly lol
    AW is an amazing tool and the new version that highlights where you need the extra weight is useful information for beginner and veteran alike. I would argue though, that once you are familar with the boat, and have gained confidence in what your boats' best wave looks/feels like, you turn it off and move people (if they're willing) or lead (if they're not) to achieve your optimals. Every time you let AW take water out of your boat the world slides one step closer to oblivion! You want 100% full at all times in my opinion. TINRFD (there is no replacement for discplacement). Wake9 has a comment in one of his earlier videos where he says exactly this, "....and we have 500 lbs of lead to move around as required".

Quote Originally Posted by Dukabor View Post
    For 2) could be optimistic but hopeful to dunk into Chestermere mid May at best, hopefully not too much later depending on when the ice melts and they open the gates up a little, though I dont think anyone will have the stones to jump in and surf at that time…. then back off to Arrow and Kootenay Lake for the summer
    I have never boated/surfed on any of those lakes, so this is all anecdotal but I've been told;

A) Chestermere has the same low depth issues Windermere does but Windermere is 6x the sq km. The wave you get in 10-15' of water is very different than the one you get in +20' of water. Find the topographicals for Chestermere and only surf the spots where it is 20' if possible (south end).

B) From what I've heard Arrow and Kootney are great but both have logging barges/traffic on them. Bring an extra prop!

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnsurfer View Post
    This is just my persona opinion from my experience with my new second Max. I did the upgrade and then focused all my attention with lead on midship compartments and bow. That is what brought my wave to its best height and push. I prefer more push then height, but if I could get the best of both worlds, that is what I shoot for. Sometimes, when my crew likes to chill in the back and watch people surfing, I let out some rear bag weight so my pitch isn't as high. I run about a 7 degree pitch for my ideal push. From what I see, people do focus more attention on rear weight the most before they start the balance. Once you have a good balance, you can add a little in all the areas to get the hull deeper. Just food for thought
    7 degrees of pitch is incredibly low. I'm amazed that you're seeing such good results. All the power to you sir!
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnsurfer View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, I think thats where I am at, trying to get the hull deeper and balanced at the same time, we are going to bring a lot of lead out with us on the test run and adjust as required…. I am in the position where I am able to do this with the dealer here, but then for the summer I will be 7 hours away so less of an opportunity to bring all the lead out and test…. Trying to get to the best of both worlds with the one session I guess
    2022 Makai

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    ....and we have 500 lbs of lead to move around as required".

I have never boated/surfed on any of those lakes, so this is all anecdotal but I've been told;

A) Chestermere has the same low depth issues Windermere does but Windermere is 6x the sq km. The wave you get in 10-15' of water is very different than the one you get in +20' of water. Find the topographicals for Chestermere and only surf the spots where it is 20' if possible (south end).

B) From what I've heard Arrow and Kootney are great but both have logging barges/traffic on them. Bring an extra prop!
    Thanks again…. For the extra lead that was going to be part of the plan to have additional available to make up for the crew at that particular day/week… my thought it, if its 500 pounds of a total 4500 (stock ballast plus 500 lead) thats about 11 percent, or 500 pounds of a total 7500 is about 6 percent so the ability for that additional 500 to be effective becomes diminished the more of the total…. I think thats a good thing, so its only minor changes…. But I could still be thinking all wrong…

And yeah, Chestermere is awful shallow, but there can be spots 25 feet deep to test, I spent 80 percent of my time on Arrow last year, and while you have to be mindful when they are hauling logs down, it is not much of an issue and it often times maxed out my depth gauge, so my thought is if we get it as good as possible on a shallow lake, the results would be amplified is my hope….

Great discussions for sure…. Thanks all
    2022 Makai

Dukabor,

The set up in shallow and deep water can be vastly different. In <20’ of water people usually slow down 1-2 miles and hour to maintain push. That set up might not work in >20’.

I run all my lead tucked away under bags. I then get the crew to move around a bit to perfect the wave, usually my kids move around on their own as they know what the correct pitch and roll “feels” like without me saying anything. Moving bags around after everyone has picked a spot to sit means bags are visible on the floor or on seat, which triggers my ocd. You might also find that you don’t have enough lead and have to get people to move anyways. Before the first rider goes I just fill the bags and set the tabs, once up to speed I use an inclinometer app to achieve my desired pitch and roll (I don’t have Autowake). It usually only takes 10-15 seconds and only need to move one person and the others to just slide forward or back a bit and we are good until we switch sides for another rider.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2slow View Post
    Dukabor,

The set up in shallow and deep water can be vastly different. In <20’ of water people usually slow down 1-2 miles and hour to maintain push. That set up might not work in >20’.
    Tommy, thanks for this, I was not really considering how different the depth would play into it…. This may take some additional research to ensure we achieve the right ‘base setup’ during this test run….
    2022 Makai

Progress update….

Installed the WM rear bags with 200lbs of lead under each bag, should be 1150is of additional rear weight now…. Now just watching the clock (or the calendar) to go for the actual lake test (if it ever stops snowing)…. My dealer has a bunch of lead in stock, so we shall see how close we get to my plan…. Still thinking 300 in the front bow compartment for sure….
    2022 Makai