Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

It was a fantastic weekend on the lake. I got up early and had the whole bay to myself. I do some fishing with my boat. Attaching the rod holder to the tower. I both skied and surfed. Still learning to surf, but making progress.

waffle game

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    Pat - Great to see a direct drive! You on a fresh water bay or out there on the Potomac River? If the river, how do you keep the salty / brackish water from damaging your Outback? - Deerfield
    Deerfield great to hear from you! Are you still in Ashland area? I boat almost exclusively in Breton Bay. You can see it on the map it’s right in Leonardtown. Water is brackish most of the time unless we have a lot of rain. I run salt away through my engine religiously and also throughly spray down the trailer with it after each outing. Been in that water with this boat every season since 2006. No major problems at all. I did replace the exhaust manifolds and risers finally about 3 years ago. We have a slalom course tucked in right against the wharf in Leonardtown. There is hardly ever boat traffic here. I’ve been out skiing the course on the 4th of July before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    That is really awesome. That picture will be a big talking point when the lake gets back to normal. Whenever that might be. What is the normal height above the arch when full?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Completely agree. Amazing pictures!

Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland

996scott. Seriously save that photo so you know where it is. My wife, along with two older brothers and their wives took this picture in 1998. That land bridge collapsed in 2005. We all have that photo printed somewhere hanging. It's a talking point a lot of times.

2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    Pretty cool to be able boat underneath something that has not been seen since the lake filled.
    cool pic of the family scott, but I gotta say as someone who lives in the path of the impending water $hitshow, cool is not the word I would use for the arch knowing that lake is dying a slow death-sad would be my word of choice...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default June 2022 Pic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    cool pic of the family scott, but I gotta say as someone who lives in the path of the impending water $hitshow, cool is not the word I would use for the arch knowing that lake is dying a slow death-sad would be my word of choice...
    Can it recover? Seems like it would require a lot of snow/rain combined with shutting down hydropower and stopping it as a source of water in other states and Mexico.

It just wasn’t designed to support the current population right?

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

not sure larry. from what I can gather, too many users both residential and agricultural and not enough water coming in. no one has reacted over the last 20 years as "water rights are mine". not to mention the number of new pools in vegas/phx every year and our last 2 houses that had pools would evap 4-5" weekly. that's a lot of water loss that never makes it back into the lakes. household water in vegas is something like 90% reclaimed back to the lake.

zog is a WHOLE LOT more intune to powell than I am and knows his stuff. hope he chimes in.

complex issue with lots of moving parts and it's going to require a lot of pain from all to fix. I'm not interested in preserving boating(nice to have but not a need to have). for us it's more about water for drinking and power. powell is close to losing it's ability to produce hydro and mead lost a water intake grate a month ago due to water levels.

sad thing is one good winter and an elevated pool on both lakes and everyone goes right back to what they were doing. this is years and years to fix, not one good winter.

makes me sick to see houses being built like this one with the stupid uses of water and the upper 1%'ers flat don't care since they have the cash to pay.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...pid/?mmlb=g,23

toured it a couple years ago and the amount of water flowing around/through/outside the house that served no purpose other than to evaporate was stupid and this is one of dozens and dozens up in the highlands/ascaya that use thousands of gallons of water.

not sure larry. from what I can gather, too many users both residential and agricultural and not enough water coming in. no one has reacted over the last 20 years as "water rights are mine". not to mention the number of new pools in vegas/phx every year and our last 2 houses that had pools would evap 4-5" weekly. that's a lot of water loss that never makes it back into the lakes. household water in vegas is something like 90% reclaimed back to the lake.

zog is a WHOLE LOT more intune to powell than I am and knows his stuff. hope he chimes in.

complex issue with lots of moving parts and it's going to require a lot of pain from all to fix. I'm not interested in preserving boating(nice to have but not a need to have). for us it's more about water for drinking and power. powell is close to losing it's ability to produce hydro and mead lost a water intake grate a month ago due to water levels.

sad thing is one good winter and an elevated pool on both lakes and everyone goes right back to what they were doing. this is years and years to fix, not one good winter.
    I don't know about knowing my stuff. My wife says I am full of BS!

Colorado River management is complicated by the Colorado River Compact, drafted in 1922. Water allocations were roughly split in half under the assumption that the river long-term average water supply was 15 MAF. The lower basin (Arizona, Nevada, California) were to be guaranteed 75 MAF over a 10 year period. The upper basin (Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico) would be able to take the rest. The lower basins split their allocation in specific amounts, while the upper basin allocated percentages based on what was available. The thought was that the upper basin would be able to take more than the 7.5 MAF since the thought at the time was that there was more than 15 MAF in the system, but the upper basin was not guaranteed any water, just anything over 7.5 MAF. Later, Mexico was granted an allocation of 1.5 MAF through international treaty, so in essence the upper basin MUST deliver 9 MAF to the lower basin every year.

Hoover Dam (Lake Mead) was constructed to deliver the lower basin flows when the lower basin wants them. Glen Canyon Dam (Lake Powell) was constructed to allow the upper basin to take consistent water allocations year to year while also delivering the 9 MAF allocation every year. Lake Powell has continuously met the requirement for delivery to the lower basin until the last couple years, even with some extreme swings in water depth (Lake Powell is currently about 170 feet below full depth) while Lake Mead has also been overdrawn by lower basin users over the last 20 years, resulting in swings in Mead (currently about 180 feet below full depth).

With the drop in Lake Mead water levels, the allocation to Arizona goes down as a result of negotiations for federal funding for the Central Arizona Project. California and Nevada are guaranteed their allocations. Mexico also has a shortage allocation. Therefore, the volume required to be delivered by Powell goes down in order to prop up both lakes/dams. California and Nevada used to always take more than their allocation due to surplus water in the river system, but that has been reigned in now that there are shortages, so they are currently taking up to their allocation. Arizona has been hit with shortages the past 2 years. The upper basin states have not done much to reign in their diversions, which tend to be trans-basin diversions, with water going to Salt Lake City, Denver, and Colorado Springs, but we tend to argue that we are taking way less than the lower basin (4.5 MAF) so we are being robbed by the Compact. The Compact clearly needs to be renegotiated to deal with the hydrologic realities in the system in an extended drought condition.

Lake Powell and Lake Mead have been suffering for the past 20 years, though Mead has been much more stable. Lake Powell has fluctuated over 110 feet over the past 5 years, while Lake Mead has fluctuated about 50 feet. Two really good years would be able to restore Lake Powell to a reasonable level as the best rise over the past 5 years was over 50 feet in rise and currently lower surplus volumes have greater level impacts due to the lower volume currently in storage (like filling a martini glass). Once Lake Powell hits a level of 3605, USBR balances increasing the level of Mead with the level of Powell and plans some bumps in flow to help bring up the level of Mead, though balancing still occurs at lower levels.

As one in the water business, I can state that sandm is absolutely correct about the return to bad habits when there is good rainfall. Everyone wants to take the plenty but doesn't want to plan for the famine. I speak with lots of industrial users that start planning expensive reuse and water minimization projects during drought years, but they get cancelled when the shortage goes away. Agriculture is the MAJOR user in the basin though, with 85% of the water going there. There need to massive improvements in watering practices and perhaps some justification regarding where the water is going (Imperial Valley) before we run out of water in the system. California has been working to reduce demand but too slowly. Meanwhile, Colorado and Utah are trying to take more and more. This is all completely unsustainable.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

makes me sick to see houses being built like this one with the stupid uses of water and the upper 1%'ers flat don't care since they have the cash to pay.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...pid/?mmlb=g,23

toured it a couple years ago and the amount of water flowing around/through/outside the house that served no purpose other than to evaporate was stupid and this is one of dozens and dozens up in the highlands/ascaya that use thousands of gallons of water.
    That's the kind of house you build at the beach.

2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub