Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

I know your pain.... $360 I'm boat fuel this week.

Quote Originally Posted by eder10986 View Post
    Painful!!! But so…sooooooo worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Where did you get the rack and speaker covers?

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    Not really sure to be honest.
    The lake is roughly at 3537 right now. I have been there the last 4 summers around this time to the first week of July. It has been around 3600. So visually put another 65ft of water and that gives you a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    I don't know about knowing my stuff. My wife says I am full of BS!

Colorado River management is complicated by the Colorado River Compact, drafted in 1922. Water allocations were roughly split in half under the assumption that the river long-term average water supply was 15 MAF. The lower basin (Arizona, Nevada, California) were to be guaranteed 75 MAF over a 10 year period. The upper basin (Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico) would be able to take the rest. The lower basins split their allocation in specific amounts, while the upper basin allocated percentages based on what was available. The thought was that the upper basin would be able to take more than the 7.5 MAF since the thought at the time was that there was more than 15 MAF in the system, but the upper basin was not guaranteed any water, just anything over 7.5 MAF. Later, Mexico was granted an allocation of 1.5 MAF through international treaty, so in essence the upper basin MUST deliver 9 MAF to the lower basin every year.

Hoover Dam (Lake Mead) was constructed to deliver the lower basin flows when the lower basin wants them. Glen Canyon Dam (Lake Powell) was constructed to allow the upper basin to take consistent water allocations year to year while also delivering the 9 MAF allocation every year. Lake Powell has continuously met the requirement for delivery to the lower basin until the last couple years, even with some extreme swings in water depth (Lake Powell is currently about 170 feet below full depth) while Lake Mead has also been overdrawn by lower basin users over the last 20 years, resulting in swings in Mead (currently about 180 feet below full depth).

With the drop in Lake Mead water levels, the allocation to Arizona goes down as a result of negotiations for federal funding for the Central Arizona Project. California and Nevada are guaranteed their allocations. Mexico also has a shortage allocation. Therefore, the volume required to be delivered by Powell goes down in order to prop up both lakes/dams. California and Nevada used to always take more than their allocation due to surplus water in the river system, but that has been reigned in now that there are shortages, so they are currently taking up to their allocation. Arizona has been hit with shortages the past 2 years. The upper basin states have not done much to reign in their diversions, which tend to be trans-basin diversions, with water going to Salt Lake City, Denver, and Colorado Springs, but we tend to argue that we are taking way less than the lower basin (4.5 MAF) so we are being robbed by the Compact. The Compact clearly needs to be renegotiated to deal with the hydrologic realities in the system in an extended drought condition.

Lake Powell and Lake Mead have been suffering for the past 20 years, though Mead has been much more stable. Lake Powell has fluctuated over 110 feet over the past 5 years, while Lake Mead has fluctuated about 50 feet. Two really good years would be able to restore Lake Powell to a reasonable level as the best rise over the past 5 years was over 50 feet in rise and currently lower surplus volumes have greater level impacts due to the lower volume currently in storage (like filling a martini glass). Once Lake Powell hits a level of 3605, USBR balances increasing the level of Mead with the level of Powell and plans some bumps in flow to help bring up the level of Mead, though balancing still occurs at lower levels.

As one in the water business, I can state that sandm is absolutely correct about the return to bad habits when there is good rainfall. Everyone wants to take the plenty but doesn't want to plan for the famine. I speak with lots of industrial users that start planning expensive reuse and water minimization projects during drought years, but they get cancelled when the shortage goes away. Agriculture is the MAJOR user in the basin though, with 85% of the water going there. There need to massive improvements in watering practices and perhaps some justification regarding where the water is going (Imperial Valley) before we run out of water in the system. California has been working to reduce demand but too slowly. Meanwhile, Colorado and Utah are trying to take more and more. This is all completely unsustainable.

Spot on!!! I too am in the water industry. Major changes that actually become the new norm are necessary. The population growth is not stopping, however, the lack of water in years to come could have an impact of population migration to the Southwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pags View Post
    The lake is roughly at 3537 right now. I have been there the last 4 summers around this time to the first week of July. It has been around 3600. So visually put another 65ft of water and that gives you a good idea.
    I missed this question when it first came up. The arch is called Gregory Natural Bridge and the bottom came out of the water at a level of around 3550 after being submerged continuously since 1969). The top is 110 feet above that at 3660. It completely blocks access to the canyon (50-mile Canyon) upstream of the bridge, though water circulates below the bridge still so the water remains fresh. The lake level at full is 3700 feet. I have seen the lake at 3685 and all the way down to 3520. You find new adventures at every water level. For example, one of the highlights of the lake is Cathedral of the Desert. Now you can walk into the cathedral and see the whole area, but at higher levels, you boat into the cathedral and are up against the ceiling, completely surrounded in sandstone on your boat. Either way, a remarkable experience, just different. When full, you get nothing from the cathedral but a narrow slot canyon that is less remarkable.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

Picked up the boat from dealer service and took a demo on a 2022 SA450. Amazing boat all around. Also took a demo on a skim style board and brought the Matrix home. So much different feeling than surf style I’m used to but I think I’m going to like it a lot to change things up. Tried some 360’s and failed miserably but all good fun.

Here’s some video of the SA surf demo….

Last edited by haknslash; 06-18-2022 at 08:54 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

That was pretty cool! So when you trading?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Pre Father’s Day Warm up yesterday. Great outing with some other Dads. Tied up for dinner before heading in.

Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland

Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland

Didn’t get any good action pics yesterday. Will try to do better today.

Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland