Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Engine just died

headed back to dock at about 15mph and the engine just dies on me. Boat starts then dies, we're dead in the water. Get the attention of a boat that was anchored and yelled out to him need some help engine is dead. Real windy day and we're drifting off. Boat that I reached out for help is anchored and doesn't move for about 25 mins, i'm like WTF. We wave at an Axis that is surfing. Guy comes by and we ask him if he can tow us around the corner to Meadowmere ramp (Lake Grapevine) He seems a little hesitant and says he doesn't have a tow rope. Tell him we have one so he starts to give us a tow. He's about to tow us when the first boat comes up to us and says he called 911!! i'm look dude we just needed a tow not 911. About a quarter mile away I see the fire department boat coming. Axis that is towing us asks the fire department boat if he can finish towing us in!!

This is the first time i've had to be towed in the 11 years we've had our boat. (always wonder when i go out if this is the day we'll be dead in the water) Over the years I've towed probably 20 boats and 10 jet skis to a dock.

Back to the engine dying...a couple years ago the high pressure fuel pump and distributer cap was replaced. When I had issue with that the engine went into limp mode and I was able to make it back to the dock. I'm thinking its not either one of those thats the issue. Anything else anybody can think of that would cause the engine to die
    2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

Fuel pump too weak, or filter clogged might do that too. Will it stay running at idle? On the tow issue...I can't believe a fellow surf boat wouldn't help you out. I am like you and have helped out many people in trouble on the water. Even back in the day when I only had a Jetski, yes a brand spanking new 1993 Kawasaki 750xi, I towed some big boats back to the ramp. What comes around goes around.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

First off, helping is what you do. I cannot believe you had that type of experience. I have been towed in twice (same old I/O). Fist time carb sucked in something from old gas in the tank. Offered money and beer, guy drank a beer and said pay it forward, which I have done. Second time DNR came lights a blazing and then realized we were not trying to dock in the woods and that we were vapor locked. Towed us back while I messed with things, boat fired once back at the dock and we drove up on the trailer. Karma will catch up.

Second, only thing that kills an engine is no fuel or no spark. It could be the obvious fuel pump, distributor, or the electric that powers those things. Sudden death is 9/10 fuel related. Spark just runs rough before giving up.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Yep. Very true on those two issues. Except I will say a rod going through the side of the block will kill one pretty quickly too, but that's a whole different kind of death! I know this from an old Chrysler outboard! LOL!

2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Hope something simple! Karma will come around to those other boats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

Dropped it off at Slalom Shop in Lewisville and they said they'll get to it in a couple weeks! They're pretty backed up. I've look all around for that dang fuel filter on that engine, where in the heck is it??
    2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

Not sure about your engine, but the raptor motors hide it behind the exhaust catalyst on the starboard side. You can pull the v-drive cover and follow the fuel lines to the engine.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    Yep. Very true on those two issues. Except I will say a rod going through the side of the block will kill one pretty quickly too, but that's a whole different kind of death! I know this from an old Chrysler outboard! LOL!

That is a death of an engine I don't wish on anyone. However, you are correct. But not sure his boat is that dead.....lmao
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Clamcakes View Post
    Dropped it off at Slalom Shop in Lewisville and they said they'll get to it in a couple weeks! They're pretty backed up. I've look all around for that dang fuel filter on that engine, where in the heck is it??
    the fuel filter is under the white plastic v-drive cover. You can see the fuel lines going into the back of the fuel tank and the fuel filter is right there in the fuel line. On the starboard side. It's very easy to get to.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I'm still struggling to figure out why the guy called 911 without even bothering to come over and try to help?

Must still be wearing his mask and cant get within 6 feet
    2020 Supra SA