Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boating Season Rain Check

Usually by now I’m posting pics in the photos thread but unfortunately we had a major life event happen on Tuesday May 17th…

On her way home from work on May 17th at 3:30pm my wife seemingly passed out while driving her commuter car (2004 Prius we recently bought from a friend when she went to 5-day weeks; she’s a federal mens prison nurse). She went straight off the road in a curve and a deep ditch/culvert stopped the car instantly. She ended up having to be cut out of the car by fire/rescue and rushed to Duke trauma center. Her list of injuries is extensive, but she is still here with us! After IR surgery to stop internal bleeding, ortho surgery on her pelvis, right femur/tibia/fibula/ankle/etc, and 8 days in ICU we are so happy to be back home on the mend! Our families stepped up big time to take care of the kids so I could stay at the hospital and support her.

Now that we are home I’m her full time caregiver until she slowly regains her independence. She’s non weight bearing on both legs (wheelchair bound) for at least 8 weeks, and walking again will be a long and painful journey but she’s got this! I asked the doc and she’ll likely be surfing again next summer, he wasn’t so sure about snowboarding this winter.

The silver lining to all this is she was diagnosed with early stages of multiple sclerosis (MS) from the MRI’s. We caught it early and will start treatment as soon as ortho clears it.

The takeaway here is cherish your loved ones and live life to the fullest, it can take a drastic turn in a split second!

2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

I have been sitting here after reading what you shared in full sadness, an incredibly heavy situation for your wife and you and your family.

But to hear she is home and on the mend is tremendous progress, she sounds like a very strong woman with great determination.

Thank you for sharing, perhaps reach out to this forum if only to take your mind off this tough situation for an hour or two.

Keep us posted on your wife’s recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Very sorry and even though the rehab will be hard and long, she's still here with you and the family. Sounds like the first responders did a great job stabilizing her on scene so she could make it to the hospital so she could receive the in hospital care she needed. So many hands involved in these situations and everyone of them needs to be spot on.

I wish you guys a successful recovery.

Thank you all very much. I’m hoping to get her to the lake house as soon as she’s comfortable riding and she’s able to get up in the front seat of the suburban (with my assistance of course). We will probably start working on that this week. I borrowed my brother in law’s Buick sedan to get her home from the hospital in the back seat and it was quite the show trying to get her in and out.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

I read this and re-read it.....you are one of the people I have asked for help to copy some of your upgrades. I always reply and are always living life with your family.
    I see you happily post photos of your family enjoying lake life. We will all miss your contribution this summer, BUT the positive is you have next year. We have never met but from the bottom of my heart I wish your wife the best in recovery and cannot wait to she her back of a surf board.

Best wishes and check back when you need an escape. Being a caregiver is a fulltime job also and sometimes you just need a breather.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Our prayers are with you all. I am very happy to hear she is doing as well as she is. Life can change in a minute, and you definitely seem to know that. With the support you have for her I am sure her recovery will come along soon and be a strong one. Sounds like you have a good solid family to rely on, and that goes a long way. But as others have mentioned here, never be afraid to reach out for encouragement if you need it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

We hope your wife for a speedy recovery. My wife had a similar accident and ended up with back surgery. After she could take care of herself, I started taking our daughter and her friends back out on an occasion weekend afternoon as we did in the past. I also water skied so on early Saturday mornings we would get our ski runs in and then come home. Our usage was cut in half but we kept a routine going. By the next summer, she was back in the boat again. My recommendation is to get the feel of things and use the boat on occasion. Make it quality time, not quantity. The kids won't miss a beat and it will give your wife quiet time. Best wishes on the recovery.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Man so sorry to hear about this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Glad your wife is back at home with you and your kids. As others have stated you have always been a great contributor to this community, I have read and re-read the Murder Max thread more times than I can count looking for certain information as it has a ton of good stuff in there. I wish your wife a speedy recovery and don't be a stranger on here, support in all forms can be helpful in times like these.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Prayers to you and the family man, but like so many have already said, she will be on the mend soon enough.

Losing a summer on the lake toys is nothing worth losing those who you enjoy them toys with.

The ole Mojo has sat on the trailer almost a year due to my travel schedule and this year I stopped traveling to spend that time with loved ones, and this was the first weekend we got the boat out, she wasn't too happy with me, needed all new batteries, then my BT stopped working so I lost stereo, we had out of state friends with us, but the point is, at least everyone is still there to enjoy time with everyone, on the boat, or sitting in a chair, its just being together that matters.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Z28ke

I really enjoy your posts detailing your boat mods, etc. Sorry this happened to y’all but glad to see your attitude and prayers for your wife’s full recovery. Keep taking care of that family!

- Brandon
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE