Usually by now I’m posting pics in the photos thread but unfortunately we had a major life event happen on Tuesday May 17th…

On her way home from work on May 17th at 3:30pm my wife seemingly passed out while driving her commuter car (2004 Prius we recently bought from a friend when she went to 5-day weeks; she’s a federal mens prison nurse). She went straight off the road in a curve and a deep ditch/culvert stopped the car instantly. She ended up having to be cut out of the car by fire/rescue and rushed to Duke trauma center. Her list of injuries is extensive, but she is still here with us! After IR surgery to stop internal bleeding, ortho surgery on her pelvis, right femur/tibia/fibula/ankle/etc, and 8 days in ICU we are so happy to be back home on the mend! Our families stepped up big time to take care of the kids so I could stay at the hospital and support her.

Now that we are home I’m her full time caregiver until she slowly regains her independence. She’s non weight bearing on both legs (wheelchair bound) for at least 8 weeks, and walking again will be a long and painful journey but she’s got this! I asked the doc and she’ll likely be surfing again next summer, he wasn’t so sure about snowboarding this winter.

The silver lining to all this is she was diagnosed with early stages of multiple sclerosis (MS) from the MRI’s. We caught it early and will start treatment as soon as ortho clears it.

The takeaway here is cherish your loved ones and live life to the fullest, it can take a drastic turn in a split second!