Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2019 MAx to 2020 Makai

I am thinking about selling my Max and getting a Makai. Max is 2019 with upgraged bags, and Makai is 2020 Stock. Max is 2.0 with old display (I think 6") Makai is with new display (7" I think) I like the Makai walk through and the cushion trex step in. I LOVE how my Max sits high in the water even when filled with 5600lbs. I am not sure how high the Makai sits, nor have I seen the boat in person. Now that I am used to sitting high on the water, othe Moombas seen lower to the water line. My kids pull me and I don't worry at all about them dumping the nose. (even though they drive it well and know the turning pick up protocal) I amd 5hrs to closets Mooba dealer and no one in our area has a Makai.

Size is not a issue, I have a big shop that can store it NP.

Wave quality reviews seem mix, but the 3.0 seems to clean up better.

Thoughts?
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

The sideboards on the Makai are just as high as the max.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnsurfer View Post
    I am thinking about selling my Max and getting a Makai. Max is 2019 with upgraged bags, and Makai is 2020 Stock. Max is 2.0 with old display (I think 6") Makai is with new display (7" I think) I like the Makai walk through and the cushion trex step in. I LOVE how my Max sits high in the water even when filled with 5600lbs. I am not sure how high the Makai sits, nor have I seen the boat in person. Now that I am used to sitting high on the water, othe Moombas seen lower to the water line. My kids pull me and I don't worry at all about them dumping the nose. (even though they drive it well and know the turning pick up protocal) I amd 5hrs to closets Mooba dealer and no one in our area has a Makai.

Size is not a issue, I have a big shop that can store it NP.

Wave quality reviews seem mix, but the 3.0 seems to clean up better.

Thoughts?
    I'm a brand new (2022) Makai owner but so far (11 hrs) it's been a great boat. No one on my crew is a master of any watersport, but, no complaints about the wave, wake, etc. so far.
    2022 Makai 400
    15.5x16.5 prop (18 back up)
    Chilltech
    Premium Wetsounds Package
    WakeMakers (custom) bag upgrade

Makai absolutely needed more weight.

https://youtu.be/61zloWEOCEw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold
    https://www.youtube.com/GreaseMonkeyTV

The Makai is about 800 lbs heavier but it’s also 2’ longer, so I imagine the same recipe for the Max would apply to the Makai. At the end of the day it’s a big boat and you need to sink her with more ballast if you want a big ass wave vs stock. Wake9 did a video on setting up a Makai so you at least have a baseline to work from whereas the Max we all had to experiment to find out what the boat likes. I’ve been next to a Makai at the dealership and it’s still a pretty tall boat like the Max is. The rear bags are the same on both boats so that should tell you the freeboard is pretty close. The Makai bow seems maybe shaped a little lower than the boxier Max but I don’t think I’ve read of any Makai owners complaining about taking a wave over the bow. Both boats are tall so you should be good there. I’m sure you’ll love the new 7” screen compared to the 4.3” we have on our 2018-2019 Max’s. I REALLY wished I had that screen but not enough to want to pay today’s prices hey. Enjoy the Makai I’m sure it will be awesome!
    Last edited by haknslash; 05-30-2022 at 11:41 AM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Thanks for the feedback! Hak....I know we have spoken before and you totally get the MAX. I like the feedback.....It's the 3.0 plate flap also I am curious about. It seems to clean up the top and make it wider, but still a little hesitant to pull the trigger. Thanks again for all your opinions
    D
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnsurfer View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! Hak....I know we have spoken before and you totally get the MAX. I like the feedback.....It's the 3.0 plate flap also I am curious about. It seems to clean up the top and make it wider, but still a little hesitant to pull the trigger. Thanks again for all your opinions
    D
    No idea on Flow 3 differences. I would like to ride behind one to see or feel the differences. Those that have it and had Flow 2 day it’s better so there’s that bit of info out there. It adds some yaw to the mix so probably makes it much easier to get a cleaner lip than Flow 2 would be my guess. It took me some time to get my wave clean on the top. If you got the funds I think the Makai is a nice upgrade to the Max. Probably will take you a little bit to dial it in like any new boat would but once you do it’s a bigger hull displacing more water so you know where that takes you. I just don’t have the crew size to justify going larger than Max or even 23’ size. I would like more tech of Flow 3 so long as you have the wright to make it engage.

2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    No idea on Flow 3 differences. I would like to ride behind one to see or feel the differences. Those that have it and had Flow 2 day it’s better so there’s that bit of info out there. It adds some yaw to the mix so probably makes it much easier to get a cleaner lip than Flow 2 would be my guess. It took me some time to get my wave clean on the top. If you got the funds I think the Makai is a nice upgrade to the Max. Probably will take you a little bit to dial it in like any new boat would but once you do it’s a bigger hull displacing more water so you know where that takes you. I just don’t have the crew size to justify going larger than Max or even 23’ size. I would like more tech of Flow 3 so long as you have the wright to make it engage.

Good feedback......Thanks Hak
    2022 MAX
    Steamboat,CO

Default 2019 MAx to 2020 Makai

The Makai is an amazing boat! Worth the upgrade from the Max in this climate? Depends on the deal and that is a decision you get to make. As far as the wave goes the cheat code is WM 1350s and 1k in lead. Flow 3.0 does add yaw which helps the wave to clean up with less roll. The boat is plenty deep and sits up nicely, we have never had a single issue of stuffing the bow on pick ups. We just chop the throttle, wait 5 seconds and turn back on the opposite side of the wave to retrieve the rider. Here are a few pics of my wave with Flow 2.0, 1350’s and 1K in lead. Keep in mind there were only 2 other people (400 lbs) in the boat so a very “small” crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TXSurf4; 05-31-2022 at 10:24 AM.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

With the current pricing hard to say if its worth the upgrade or not. When we first ordered our Makai we went back and forth at the show between the Max and the Makai. Both are great boats, there were just a few nicer items that won us over on the Makai and having a bit extra space was worth it. For a light crew it needs some extra weight as others have mentioned. For a larger crew it throws an awesome wave with plenty of room for the larger crew and all their stuff. You wont have to worry about taking a wave over the nose, it sits plenty high. Cant go wrong with either boat.
    2021 Makai