Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy The Call Nobody Wants To Get

2019 Craz, 400 Raptor. Got a call from the shop this afternoon. During de-winterizing, the tech found a blown freeze plug and water coming out of the bottom of the heat exchanger. Looks like the winterizing wasn't done properly. The shop is ordering a new heat exchanger and quoted ~1500 for the repair.

How f***ed am I? Tech says he can't evaluate further until the plug and exchanger are repaired so they can get the engine up to temp. I'm REALLY hoping there's no other damage. Never dealt with this before.

Did the shop winterize it?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by HFarr View Post
    Did the shop winterize it?
    Another shop did. We moved to a new state over the winter. I'm dealing with them on the repair costs, just wondering if I should be expecting another call about needing major repairs once they get the leaking part replaced.

This is odd, the raptor engine should not blow a freeze plug because it has full time antifreeze in the closed loop cooling system and is rated to -30f from the factory.

If the heat exchanger cooling loop froze, then the heat exchanger and transmission would be at risk, but not the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Heat exchanger should be the worst of it, there's no water in the engine to freeze so no risk there.
    2020 Supra SA

From the video the tech sent me, it looks like the water is coming from around the end cap on the bottom of the exchanger. From reading a little more online, I'm hopeful that the blown-out cap is the extent of the damage and I'm not looking at a season destroyed before it even starts.

Replace and run it. That's all you can do. I would not be loosing sleep at this point.
    2018 Supra SL400

Hopefully they can get one in for you pretty quickly and get you going. Did the other shop put the plugs back in I take it?
    2021 Makai

Quote Originally Posted by RUGER761 View Post
    Hopefully they can get one in for you pretty quickly and get you going. Did the other shop put the plugs back in I take it?
    The tech thinks what happened was the other shop flushed with antifreeze without draining the system first. The antifreeze was diluted enough that the residual still froze.

The tech says about a week to get it in stock and replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher23 View Post
    The tech thinks what happened was the other shop flushed with antifreeze without draining the system first. The antifreeze was diluted enough that the residual still froze.

The tech says about a week to get it in stock and replaced.
    Ah yep that would do it pretty quickly if they did it. The marine antifreeze doesnt like to be too diluted. At least they are getting you taken care of pretty quickly if its only about a week.
    2021 Makai