Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SL550 weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
    My advice if you have a 1/2 ton tow vehicle and a relatively new wake boat....

Don't go to the scales. Ignorance is bliss. Ask me how I know

They are definitely getting up there in weight for a half ton. I believe being able to tow with the tower down helps immensely on the highway, and having 3 axles with brakes makes a huge difference. Highly recommend getting electric over hydraulic for the trailer brakes.
    2024 SE550
    2022 SL550 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mjb929rr View Post
    They are definitely getting up there in weight for a half ton. I believe being able to tow with the tower down helps immensely on the highway, and having 3 axles with brakes makes a huge difference. Highly recommend getting electric over hydraulic for the trailer brakes.
    Yep!!

Out of all the "sexy" upgrades I was offered and did get, this is the one I wish I would have sprung for! I won't have another boat over 5k pounds with surge brakes.

My particular boat likes (as in needs) 150 pounds of lead right in the bow, so I leave it there full time. Of course, when I threw it on the scale, that 150 pounds transfers right into the hitch weight, reducing payload. So now I feel compelled to move the weight back every time I tow, which my back doesn't like too much!!

Anyway, I hate daily driving a 3/4 ton, so I made sure to forgo a few options on my truck order I would normally get just to preserve some payload capacity. A wakeboat at 10k pounds is crazy!
    2016 Starcraft Limited 1918 (sold)
    2021 MB Sports B52 Alpha (coming April 2021)
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    2022 F-150 SCREW PB (ordered 12/2021...still waiting)
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Yep!!

Out of all the "sexy" upgrades I was offered and did get, this is the one I wish I would have sprung for! I won't have another boat over 5k pounds with surge brakes.

My particular boat likes (as in needs) 150 pounds of lead right in the bow, so I leave it there full time. Of course, when I threw it on the scale, that 150 pounds transfers right into the hitch weight, reducing payload. So now I feel compelled to move the weight back every time I tow, which my back doesn't like too much!!

Anyway, I hate daily driving a 3/4 ton, so I made sure to forgo a few options on my truck order I would normally get just to preserve some payload capacity. A wakeboat at 10k pounds is crazy!
    Not to derail but my mojo with surge brakes absolutely pushed my 1500 off the mountain to the point I don't even know if the surge brakes work at all.
    Now tow with a 2500 diesel and no problem but I couldn't imagine a heavier boat that I see being pulled all the time with something that has a 5000lb tow cap
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

Quote Originally Posted by Josh828 View Post
    Not to derail but my mojo with surge brakes absolutely pushed my 1500 off the mountain to the point I don't even know if the surge brakes work at all.
    Now tow with a 2500 diesel and no problem but I couldn't imagine a heavier boat that I see being pulled all the time with something that has a 5000lb tow cap
    This is actually a great point so I'll even derail a little further..

I'm sure there are a lot of F-150 owners out there being the most popular vehicle and all. The hitch on the f-150 is actually rated for only 5k without weight distribution. Since boat trailers really don't incorporate weight distribution hitches, virtually every F-150 owner is exceeding the hitch limits when pulling their boat. It's something that really bothered me when I ordered my F-150 last December. My current Tundra has a 10K hitch IIRC.

I'll obviously tow my boat with the Ford when it comes, but if what I was pulling was close to 10K, I'd be leary from a liability standpoint.

If my boat weighed 10K, I'd bite the bullet and get a HD/SD rig.
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

You can order F150with max tow package to increase the hitch rating. For anyone interested to see what they have rating wise, crawl under your hitch, it is stamped on the the tow and tongue weight rating.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

This is actually a great point so I'll even derail a little further..

I'm sure there are a lot of F-150 owners out there being the most popular vehicle and all. The hitch on the f-150 is actually rated for only 5k without weight distribution. Since boat trailers really don't incorporate weight distribution hitches, virtually every F-150 owner is exceeding the hitch limits when pulling their boat. It's something that really bothered me when I ordered my F-150 last December. My current Tundra has a 10K hitch IIRC.

I'll obviously tow my boat with the Ford when it comes, but if what I was pulling was close to 10K, I'd be leary from a liability standpoint.

If my boat weighed 10K, I'd bite the bullet and get a HD/SD rig.
    This is why I completely removed the factory tow package on my F150 and replaced everything with Curt Class IV rated hardware. Took a little cutting with a saws all but nothing difficult. Sucks they come equipped but there are ways to upgrade so it’s at least using hardware rated for these boats. I have it posted somewhere in the tow vehicle thread in off topic but worth the upgrade to any F150 owner IMO.

I tow with 300 lbs of lead in the bow with my old 2010 5.4L Triton F150. I definitely know the boat is back there. I just try and drive conservative but hate the surge brake feeling. Would love electric next time.
    Last edited by haknslash; 04-29-2022 at 08:18 AM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    You can order F150with max tow package to increase the hitch rating. For anyone interested to see what they have rating wise, crawl under your hitch, it is stamped on the the tow and tongue weight rating.
    Technically you are correct but there is YUGE caveat. This little note in the 2022 (and 2021) F-150 Tow guide:

• Do not exceed trailer weight of 5,000 lbs. when towing with bumper only.

ANYTHING over 5000 pounds technically requires a WDH to reach it's max hitch rating. The problem is boat trailers are not built for WDH.
    B-737 (Work Vehicle)

Found some pics of what I did with my factory tow package basically cutting the brackets down to allow a Curt Class IV hitch to work around the bumper brackets…

Last edited by haknslash; 05-01-2022 at 10:55 PM.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Explains why Ford rates 5000lbs as bumper towing and not conventional. Their hitch is literally the bumper.

That is poor engineering for a truck with 12k towing ability.
    Should have not put a hitch on it and mounted the ball in the bumper and called it a tow package...lol
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow