Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I hate thieves....

lots of lazy people in this country and seems that more and more of them are moving to vegas to live off the rest of us...

left work last night for my 1.6 mile drive home and when I started the f250's v10, it was LOUD AF....

well, you guessed it. cat cut out while I was at work. I work swing so was there from 11 to 8:30pm figured it happened at dusk but I got tired of reviewing footage so hoping my boss spots the culprit and we can track them. I work on a dead end street and our corner camera picks up everyone going past to the end of the street so hoping we will get lucky but doubtful.

now the real hunt begins. it's about a grand for a replacement used from what I see online. since the truck is a hybrid- obd2 sensor port but follows obd1 classifications, there's no o2 sensors pre or post cat(they are right after the manifolds) so working on trying to install a test pipe. I KNOW if I put a cat back in, it'll be gone in another few months. this truck is old, easy to see and sits higher than almost all halftons stock so it's ripe for the picking. honestly surprised it took this long.

hoping one of the mexican chop shops here can fab me up a test pipe for cash....

temporarily until I can install a "high flow cat" or register the rig as a "classic" here which means no more emissions.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Wow I bet that one set you off, I know I would be absolutely livid. I keep hearing more and more on the cats being cut off but haven't known anyone to have that happen yet. Bet that V10 was really talking to you on the way home.
    2021 Makai

Dang, that sucks! Sorry to hear it happened to you. There have been a lot of stories on the news about this happening more and more. I feel like it's just a matter of time before we all get hit.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

That's really horrible. I don't know why there aren't better restrictions to disincentivize these thieves from this kind of activity. The guys buying these cats have to suspect what is going on when a tweaker comes in with a working catalytic converter.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

got a piece of pipe installed but it's ghetto and leaks. appt friday to get a hanger welded back on that they cut and hope they can fix it up for me under the table.

that said shop owner told me that he's done north of 1000 cat replacements since 2020 and that's just one shop in las vegas. said it's one of his main businesses now. couple cars a day showing up on flatbeds to get replacements.

How many scrap metal recyclers are in the Las Vegas area? Shouldn’t be too hard for local law enforcement to track down who’s buying the cats. If this was relatively uncommon it would be hard to track but if one shop has done hundreds of these repairs that probably means thousands have been stolen across the city. My city has a copper theft problem and the city enacted a bylaw that recyclers have to hold the sellers goods for 30 days before payment and processing. I’m not sure how effective it was but large scale copper thefts aren’t making the local news anymore.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

Got the guy on video but not close enough. Car is a genesis with temp tag.
    12:23 in the afternoon and took 2:37 start to driving off.....

A$$hat.....

Police wont do anything.
    I handed them a fraudulent credit card case last year when my card was jacked at texas de brazil including the address 2 miles from me where the products were being send and nothing was done.

I hate thieves too!! After hearing about the sheriff's deputy that was shot and killed when he confronted the guys stealing his converter in broad daylight at the grocery store, I have absolutely no use for these low lifes!life's!! I agree that the law needs to make it hard as hell for shops to buy used catalytic converters. They did it with air conditioner condensing units.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2slow View Post
    How many scrap metal recyclers are in the Las Vegas area? Shouldn’t be too hard for local law enforcement to track down who’s buying the cats. If this was relatively uncommon it would be hard to track but if one shop has done hundreds of these repairs that probably means thousands have been stolen across the city. My city has a copper theft problem and the city enacted a bylaw that recyclers have to hold the sellers goods for 30 days before payment and processing. I’m not sure how effective it was but large scale copper thefts aren’t making the local news anymore.
    Interesting. I live in the upper midwest & here, to try & cut down on it, when your vehicle goes in for service, they imprint your cat with a serial number if it hasn't already gotten one from prior service. There are still thefts of them, but I think has slowed it down a bit (at least according to the frequency that I hear about the thefts on the news). I guess I'm not exactly sure the process after the stamp as I haven't had to find out, but I assume the shop keeps a record & theoretically someone is supposed to check before buying it for scrap.

Sad how talented people get trying to break the rules. If they would just put half of that effort into a career, think of how different our country could look\

My neighbor owns a dental practice. Said during the less than 1 hour appt a patient came in, did their cleaning, went back out, the cat on her Honda was gone. Broad daylight in a fairly reputable area. I subscribe to a Neighborhood watch update thing and literally every day there are reports of cats being snatched. A sawzall with a good blade and a couple minutes is all they need.

Thank GOD I live in the country and work from home. But I wouldn't be surprised to come out of the hardware or grocery store one day and have a WTF situation on my hands.

Our latest report is the sheriff won't respond (or even bother to report it) unless it's a life threatening situation, there is an identifiable suspect, or it is more than $5,000 of stolen property. Not because they don't want to - because they can't.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...