Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Holy 4th of July Foiling! Took the kids out todayn didnt touch the surf boards. I spent the whole day foiling with my new 18 in mast and we slowed the boat down to 8.5 and it made a huge difference! Was able to ride way more flew the foil quite a bit and started working on carving inside the wakes. I noticed I could not really get the foil to ride the second wake but I tried. I had a lot of fun on it even when it was buckin like crazy. I rode out of several would be crashes by cutting the foil hard to one side. Felt like I finally made some progress on it.
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags
    Heatercraft triple heater

So went out today and it was awesome! Riding up on the foil, feelin better on the foil and getting out to the second wave and started to feel a bit of push! And then I was able to pump it someand get a bit of slack in the rope. Things have definitely turned around in my foil game. Might break out the taller mast and give it a shot again on Monday. Found that moving my rear foot forward helped with flying on startup, and let me lean back more for a more surf style stance when riding. All in all a good day on the water.
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags

Went out with @knoxmojo and company today in a beautiful 21 sl. Tried a new foil out today and got going pretty quick on it. Guy tells me to just toss the rope thats its just a crutch so I did and could not believe I was riding ropeless. Its a cool feeling long lining on the foil but this was next level. Of all the things I have done in watersports I would put this as my biggest achievement yet. I have never been more excited behind the boat than today. Awesome crew,short ride but my best yet! Cant wait to do it again.
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags

No to straps. I demoed a bunch of Armstrong foils on a short board with straps. One guy fell locked in and the foil came whipping back towards his head. It was pretty close to some blood and a concussion.

As for driving tell your driver they are pulling up their favorite 9 year old kid that has never towed before. 9mph is a good speed to start off at.

Quote Originally Posted by 2in2out View Post
    What advice would you give drivers?

We have set up rope length for 2nd wake and speed between 6-8, with slow and steady starts. I haven’t created an autowake profile for the foil. Does anyone have settings for such?

I give it 4 attempts before I’m usually too gassed to go again after long swims for the foil.

Does anyone use foot straps when beginnin? Every video I’ve watched says it’s best not to use those.

2022 SA 450

For second wave your back foot should be right over the forward half of the mast. Front foot should just be shoulder width if not a little narrower.

I suggest you get a better foil setup since you've gotten over the beginners hump. Better gear will mean faster progression.

Armstrong HS1550 V1, 60cm fuse, 72cm mast and the 232 tail is pretty awesome. I plan to get the 1550 v2 as it is higher aspect and faster. Also planning on getting a hs1850 for wing foiling and pumping.

If you're into flat water pumping I hear the Axis png1050 is killer. It's high aspect so great glide and pump but turning isn't great. A mid aspect like the hs1550 v2 has better glide and pump but can still turn.

Btw great boat and excellent color combo. You have great tastes.

I've got the same boat!
    Last edited by JHCMondo; 08-25-2022 at 09:37 AM.

Isn't it great not to need a huge wave, fiddle with ballast bags, lead etc

I just fill ballast 30% and for foiling that is plenty big even with only 1 person on the boat!
    Last edited by JHCMondo; 08-25-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Spent the weekend split between my slingshot foil and a hyperlite foil. Rode both foils ropeless but just could not seem to figure out the hyperlite. I am pretty excited. No ballast other than lead, one person in boatand surf tab rifgt and I feel a ton of push, still workin thru the lift the bubble line seems to create. But going ropeless is getting easier each time. Hoping to sell my setup this fall and get an axis and a smaller board. The one saving grace of the slingshot board is the high board volume has saved me more than once.
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags

The one thing I've learned about foiling is it's all about foot placement.

Whether it's surfing first wave, second wave, different foils, pumping etc the single most important factor is where you place your feet. It's different for each of those things.

I can surf the second wave for over 15 minutes and recover from losing the wave. Just learning to pump back more reliably and in flat water.

The hs1550 v2 apparently pumps really well and still can carve a turn. Next year's buy!

My ultimate goal is to wing foil as well as flat pumping from a dock to steal waves from surf boats

Quote Originally Posted by Mxmark4 View Post
    Spent the weekend split between my slingshot foil and a hyperlite foil. Rode both foils ropeless but just could not seem to figure out the hyperlite. I am pretty excited. No ballast other than lead, one person in boatand surf tab rifgt and I feel a ton of push, still workin thru the lift the bubble line seems to create. But going ropeless is getting easier each time. Hoping to sell my setup this fall and get an axis and a smaller board. The one saving grace of the slingshot board is the high board volume has saved me more than once.

Been lurking this thread for some time as I’ve been wanting a foil board for a while and I am definitely getting one now!

My biggest deal is I’m lost with all the different brands, sizes of boards, masts, and wings.

Ideally I’d like a beginner/advanced beginner that both my wife and I could use/most guests in the boat.

I’m 5’9”, 185#
    She’s 5’4” and 135-140#

What do y’all recommend I start looking at? Or where?

I can see about demos but I’m not sure there are many in my area, unfortunately (Raleigh/Durham)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy once cry once.

I recommend an Armstrong HS1550 V1, 60cm fuse, 72 cm mast and 232 tail. That is something you can grow into.

If you want more stable then Armstrong cf1600, 70cm fuse, 72cm mast,cf300 tail. This should be pretty stable and when you get better you can change out the fuse and tail. The cf1600 is rock solid stable and carves pretty well so it's extremely fun. The entire bost loved it. One of the guys was trying to jump it off the wave

I suppose you could go to a cf1200 then both you and your wife would be in the weight range. Only problem.wirh that is she'd be on the low end so great for her and you'd be on the high end so probably have trouble on 2nd wave. Never ridden the cf1200 so can't comment on it.

You could buy the 1600 for you and the 1200 for the wife. It's 3 screws and 5 minutes to change out.

I own the hs1550 v1 and have demoed the cf1600.

For the board it doesn't matter as much. But some thing 4' 6" would be good and make things a bit easier. Higher volume makes it easier as well.

I would avoid Liquid Force and slingshot.

I also know Axis is a good brand that a friend rides. I've never ridden them myself so can't comment.

Quote Originally Posted by eder10986 View Post
    Been lurking this thread for some time as I’ve been wanting a foil board for a while and I am definitely getting one now!

My biggest deal is I’m lost with all the different brands, sizes of boards, masts, and wings.

Ideally I’d like a beginner/advanced beginner that both my wife and I could use/most guests in the boat.

I’m 5’9”, 185#
    She’s 5’4” and 135-140#

What do y’all recommend I start looking at? Or where?

I can see about demos but I’m not sure there are many in my area, unfortunately (Raleigh/Durham)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JHCMondo; 08-26-2022 at 12:19 AM.