Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Raw water strainer.

I know I posted this a couple of months ago, but I need a little more info. While I was servicing the boat this weekend, I found two pieces of cardboard in the trans cooler which was blocking about two thirds of the water passing through it. I am going to install a water strainer and was wondering where the "factory" one is located on a V-Drive. I am assuming it is between the through hull pickup and the V-Drive. Could someone post a pic or send one to me. I would appreciate it.
    Also,
    I have been looking at one from skidim that has a removable strainer basket. I assume that you can not remove the strainer while the boat is in the water since there is no shut off valve. What do you do if you see something in the strainer while out boating?

Here is the one I am thinking about installing. Thanks.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I have the same unit in my DD. You can remove the strainer while in the water, I assume this works because of the height of where this unit is installed vs the waterline. I do however have to use a shut off valve to empty my ballast strainer which is below the water line in the bilge.[/img]

Where is the strainer located? Pics would be greatly appreciated. I will order this tomorrow!!
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Dude....i have no idea how to upload an image here....[/img]

Email it to me please and I will post it. I would really appreciate it!!! I walked down stairs and looked at the inlet hose and it looks like it would have to go after the V-Drive.

Hopefully a V-Drive owner will post soon as well!!!

[email protected]
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

The v-drive cooler is just like the tranny cooler inside and it too will collect crap. Here is where I installed mine (not the best pic):

Quote Originally Posted by Nafplio
    The v-drive cooler is just like the tranny cooler inside and it too will collect crap. Here is where I installed mine (not the best pic):
    In this location can you take the bowl off of the strainer while the boat is in the water? It seems that it would not stop letting water run in if you removed the bowl? Is that true? Lastly, is that the same strainer as the one in my first post? Thanks for the photo.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Jesse
    That is the same strainer I put in my 04 LSV.I had to by some 90 degree elbows to plumb it in.It sits right behind the V drive .Sorry no pics.I would put mine on the trailer to clean if I had to.Mostly because it is a pain to get at.
    John

I'd think anything around the v-drive or bellow would let water in. If I absolutely had to clean it on the water, I'd stick a shirt or a towel in there. I believe it is the same strainer. It is a worthy option imho.

In a static condition (no movement), no water will come out an opening that is higher than the surrounding water level. That height will vary based on weight in the boat and weight distribution. You also have to take into account any wave action that will periodically shoot water through the tube but not on a continuous basis.