Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is 2009-2011 Mobius LSV able to get it done!!?

Love wakeboarding and beginner surfer.Looking at boats in 40K range.With upgraded ballast prop and suck gate,Can we get a decent wake for either sport?? Tons of options in this area in used market.THX GUYS!!!!!

What used boats in particular are you looking at?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

09 Moomba Mobius LSV all stock

I had a 2003 lsv and it threw an awesome surf wake with a suckgate and about 2,300 lbs of ballast. I don't think you can go wrong with that boat.

Also, my friend had a 2013 lsv that also threw a very nice wake although he had a considerable more amount of ballast than I had on mine. But he also put on the automatic surf tabs on the back which take a little more ballast than a suckgate to get a good wake.
    Last edited by htfit; 03-10-2022 at 09:35 PM.
    - Jason
    2019 Moomba Max

We had an 07 LSV and got a great wave with extra weight and a home made surf gate. You shouldn't have a problem at all.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I'll start by saying that for wakeboarding, I don't think you're going to have any complaints. That's what these boats were made for and they perform really well doing so.

As for surfing, I think it kinda depends on you & your level of contentment as well as what you decide is important out of your boat...I have an 05 LSV & like you, I love to wakeboard & my family has gotten into surfing... It's important to note, the hull of our model just isn't made for surfing. It can do it & does it well enough for my family as beginners, but it definitely doesn't have the length & push of boats created for surfing so there really isn't a lot if any forgiveness. You probably also need to factor in your size / weight. We just upgraded the ballast this winter & I'm hoping that helps a lot, but because I'm 6'-5" 270ish our boat struggled last fall to create the push necessary to allow me to surf, but my girls have no problem. With all these factors, I feel as though there would be a pretty hard limit to how far we could progress surfing with the boat that we have. More ballast always helps, surf gates help, more friends help, etc. but again it all kinda depends on what is important to you.

I'm definitely not telling you not to do it. It's far from the fanciest thing on the water, but my family loves every moment of it. We're a very content family & only go out probably 4 or 5 times a month for a handful of hours and also live in the north where our season is pretty short. I think it will keep us occupied for a good while, but I can definitely understand through owning it and using it why people are so obsessed with adding more weight & continuously upgrading. Also just something to keep in mind, people on both this forum & the facebook page are wonderful about helping you dial things in.

On the flip side of all of that, wake boats are wicked expensive and hold their value like no motorized thing I've seen that was built in my lifetime. It's very safe to say that you could buy it, try it out for yourself, & then if you feel you need more or that it's just not for you, it would be pretty easy to flip it for at the very least near what you're going to pay for it. The market for entry level & just above entry level surf boats is nuts...at least around my neck of the woods.
    Last edited by Rilez; 03-11-2022 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rilez View Post
    I'll start by saying that for wakeboarding, I don't think you're going to have any complaints. That's what these boats were made for and they perform really well doing so.

As for surfing, I think it kinda depends on you & your level of contentment as well as what you decide is important out of your boat...I have an 05 LSV & like you, I love to wakeboard & my family has gotten into surfing... It's important to note, the hull of our model just isn't made for surfing. It can do it & does it well enough for my family as beginners, but it definitely doesn't have the length & push of boats created for surfing so there really isn't a lot if any forgiveness. I feel as though there would be a pretty hard limit to how far we could progress surfing with the boat that we have. More ballast always helps, surf gates help, more friends help, etc. but again it all kinda depends on what is important to you.
    spot on above....
    having started out in a 20ssv, almost same hull as lsv our sole motivation to upgrade to a 22ft was better surf wave. if wakeboarding is your priority and surfing on the side, I'd buy the lsv all day long. if it's the other way, I'd hold out for a little different boat knowing it might cost a little more, be a different brand or be a little older. cheaper to get into a boat that does what you want first than spending coin now and feeling the need to upgrade a year or 2 later. that will cost more in the long run.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Thank You!

What a great forum.Thank you to those who yolk the time to respond.Makes a ton of sense.

Saw this on Craigslist in Macon GA. For asking price comparisons.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HFarr; 03-19-2022 at 11:04 AM.
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I'd take that boat all day over an lsv or outback. xlv has the length to get a great wave out of it....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten