Default Questions about auto wake on possible MAX purchase

Hello, been lurking for a while.
    Looking for a newer boat to surf, wake and ski here and there. I’d say mostly surf, or 80% of the time.

I found a 2019 without autowake, but it has auto surf 2.0. Hoping to put a deposit on it today.

I’ve read some like it some don’t.

How much of an issue would this be for a beginner? Can you add it?

The boat is in great shape, only 105 hours, few scratches, but otherwise mint. Will go down next weekend to drive,ride etc..

And it is in my budget, trying to stay under $70k.

Thanks for any replies,
    Bruce

I'm no expert on Autowake but i don't think it can be added on. We have had Autowake for a year now with our 21 Craz and I'm still trying to get comfortable with it. I don't think it is a must have by any means, but for a beginner who hasn't done much surfing and isn't familiar with how to set up a boat to surf it would probably be nice to have. That being said it is not hard to learn to set up a boat for surfing. It will take some time and trial and error but it isn't hard at all. There are a ton of videos and info on it. If the boat you are looking at checks all the boxes i wouldn't pass on it just because it doesn't have autowake.

Wake9 has great videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKiSpHn1hug
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I wouldn’t say it’s a must have but a nice option to use from time to time to check roll and pitch angles. I’ve used it maybe a handful of times in my ~3 years of having my Max w/ AutoWake.

The recipe for the Max is pretty well covered both on here, in videos and on the FB groups out there. Add the Wakemakers upgrade bags, get some extra lead and fill everything full. Stock plate settings are pretty dialed in based on my testing of different settings over the years, especially the first two just trying to understand what the boat likes and doesn’t.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Autowake can be added. I looked into it myself and my dealer said it can be done. It isn’t cheap to add and I don’t think it can be performed at home. It will probably need to be done by your dealer. FYI, Autowake requires G6 so if your boat only has G3 that will need to be upgraded as well. I’m pretty sure there is another thread on here regarding this topic that might have some good information.
    2020 Moomba Mojo
    2008 Mastercraft Prostar 197 40th Anniversary
    Owner Ness Lake Watersports
    Wakemakers “Exact Fit” Bags + Lead = 4,700 ballast
    Audio by Wetsounds, MTX, JL Audio, Clarion
    15 X 13.00 ACME prop

Thanks or the Quick reply.

Don’t want to rush into any, but also concerns about boat prices inching up in the next few months with the boating season approaching.

How does the helix and Craz, been also reading a lot about those models too.

I have watched most of those setup videos, along with haknslash, great videos by the way.

I do see a decent helix in TN close to that price, little smaller, but it appears to have all the options. The 2019 max did not have a trailer, board racks or speakers on the tower, not as concerned about the speakers. My daughters may be though

I did find a nice 2018 MAX in Richmond, but the guy stopped replying, don’t know what his deal is.

But they are not paying for it.

We do have a lake house with a lift at lake GAston, so it will get used. Most of the time it will probably be 4-6 people on board.

I’ve also seen that will most likely have to add bags to anything I get.

Looking for something reasonable that will last for 10+ years. Seams to be more Axis around here.

Thanks, again

Adding weight over factory is not out of the norm unless you always have a packed boat to simulate the added ballast. In short there is no replacement for displacement no matter how you get there.

The 22-23’ boats are going to be your ideal size for surf waves unless you have a massive crew and need the bigger 24+ foot boats. The smaller boats like say a Helix will probably put out a taller but shorter wave than a longer boat. I wouldn’t sacrifice on getting something you feel you may outgrow quickly just for the sake of getting into a boat. Needs to be a calculated decision and balance of everything you want out of the boat. Not saying a Helix is a bad option at all as people do like them but I think you’d have a better time on a 22-23’ boat in the end.

Glad you enjoy the vids BTW and hopefully finding them helpful.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Thanks, and yes your videos where very helpful.

Actually put a deposit on the original 2018 Max I wanted this morning, it’s fully loaded with a trailer, about 170 hours.

So real happy about that...

Will keep an eye out for additional ballets, but have to upgrade boatlift and sell other boat first.

Thanks for all the help, and will be on here more often.. already looking at the mods...

Quote Originally Posted by BruceNc View Post
    Thanks, and yes your videos where very helpful.

Actually put a deposit on the original 2018 Max I wanted this morning, it’s fully loaded with a trailer, about 170 hours.

So real happy about that...

Will keep an eye out for additional ballets, but have to upgrade boatlift and sell other boat first.

Thanks for all the help, and will be on here more often.. already looking at the mods...
    Yes, you can add autowake, the dealer can easily install it. Had it added to my 2017 craz, was around 1,000?

Is it worth it? Hell yes, if you take the time to learn how to use it(30 minutes). You don't need it but it sure makes surfing life a lot easier.

The G6 pumps are nice but not required.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead