Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer wiring

Default Trailer wiring

I have a question in regards to trailer wiring. I want to remove the Flat 5 pin and put in a 5 round. When I removed the plastic protector, I saw that the trailer had six wires. White, Blue, Yellow, Yellow/Brown, Green, Gree/Brown. My piece that I want to atach has White, Blue, Green,Yellow, and Brown. I know that Blue goes to blue and White goes to White. Does the solid Yellow, from the trailer, go to the solid yellow on the adapter, the solid Green to solid green and the wire with the brown stripe goes to the solid brown on the adapter? Can any one help me please
    Mark

Hmmm....I'm not much of an electrical whiz but I suggest buying an adapter. You can usually pick these up at any auto parts store (AutoZone etc.) and are fairly inexpensive. We tow our boat with a Tundra which came with a round electrical connection on it. Our dealer was kind enough to give us a flat 5 wire adaptor to connect to the round outlet on the truck to the trailer. Anyway, just something you might look into that could be easier. Hope it helps.

I believe the 2 browns are common. Yellow/Brown for Left side, Green/Brown for right side.

I agree w/ WaterDawg though - just get the adapter. $14.00 at etrailer.
    http://www.etrailer.com/pc-A~37379.h...Yes&Quantity=1

-Joe

Yep a adapter is the way to go. The flat plug is more common and if you change tow rigs you'll be glad you didn't snip it off.

My truck has a 7 round plug. The connector that I want to chage is on the trailer. I do not like all those wire hanging down. The connector that I want to install goes on the trailer. I did not buy, which I should of, a 7 round to a 5 flat. I bought a 7 round to a 5 round conntector. You can find them www.westmarine.com. I need to cut a hole in the trailer for this 5 round adapter to fit. The 5 hole plug is what I need to wire to the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by tazz3069
    My truck has a 7 round plug. The connector that I want to chage is on the trailer. I do not like all those wire hanging down. The connector that I want to install goes on the trailer. I did not buy, which I should of, a 7 round to a 5 flat. I bought a 7 round to a 5 round conntector. You can find them www.westmarine.com. I need to cut a hole in the trailer for this 5 round adapter to fit. The 5 hole plug is what I need to wire to the trailer.
    Go buy the 7 large round to 5 flat and be done.
    Why change the trailer to match adapter?
    You change the adapter to match the trailer.

Thats like saying "Doctor, I bought the wrong shoes. Can you cut off my feet and give me a new set that matches the shoes I bought"

Ohhh... you want one of those nifty coiled cords right ????

Like http://www.jetconnex.com

... cool, but I still say get the adapter and go boating.

-Joe

Hey Tazz. I did what I think you are talking about doing. I mounted a 5-round on the trailer frame (it's flush with a retractable cover). The yellow/brown and the green/brown both attach to the brown wire on the adapter. I now use a jetconnex round-5 to round-7 to connect my trailer to my truck. It's pretty slick as there are no loose wires hanging from the trailer.

BTW, the reason I ended up doing this is because my lab puppy ate the wiring on my trailer twice and I had to come up with a way to keep the trailer essentially "wire-free"

I would make every attempt to keep the plug on the trailer and use adapters to connect to whatever recepticle is on your tow rig. I've seen a lot of different plugs used and it makes it almost impossible to have someone else tow your rig because "Bubba's got a funky plug on his trailer."

If you do change the connectors remember there is a pseudo standard to which wire goes where which means you need to verify the wiring on the tow rig has been wired correctly first. I saw one person make an adapter to connect the trailer to the rig because the wiring on the rig was done incorrectly. I don't know why he didn't change the rig wiring. You can find schematics on the internet

Thanks carsondoc. That was the answer that I was looking for. I already have everything just want to get rid of those hanging wires.

Mark