Thread: Dogs on boats

Post Dogs on boats

Does anyone have any advice for taking dogs on a boat? We’re getting a 2022 Moomba max and I’m worried our dogs could scratch the interior. Does anyone use dog booties or slip on shoes?

When we took our golden doodle we had booties for him to wear. He did not like them. I also carried him over the sun deck just to reduce the chances of him walking on the vinyl. We have only taken him out once, he did not seem to care for the water. And then when we get home its an extra 2 hours to wash and dry him if he swims.
    2019 Craz
    OJ 950
    Wakemakers bags
    Heatercraft triple heater

Growing up, my dad always took our golden retrievers on the boat all the time. They loved it. But, if you have a dog that really likes the water, you have to keep an eye on them so they don’t jump out when moving., I feel like you need to start them early. I have tried to take my dogs now and they are very anxious. Never really had an issue with their nails scratching the interior.
    Moomba Craz ‘21
    Barefoot Nautique ‘91 (traded-in)

I see dogs on boats all the time here. We have taken our Jack Russell out a few times, but he doesn't enjoy it and becomes more of a nuisance. Most all of the lakes in the south have alligators too. They stay clear of boating traffic areas and you generally will never see them, but a barking dog is like ringing the dinner bell to a gator! I have seen them come straight towards groups of people on the shore when a dog is with them barking at it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

Our Golden loves the boat and water, we just keep the nails trim and edges rounded with a nail grinder. Don't waste your time with the boots.

If the dog isn't a strong swimmer get a life vest with a handle and fill the rear ballast so they can swim onto the platform.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPMJ2HChk1s/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
    Last edited by parrothd; 02-13-2022 at 01:01 AM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

A towel across the engine cover or seat is cheap insurance. We’ve taken our old lab (RIP), Chihuahua mix, and now our golden retriever almost every outing. Booties worked on the hot sand for about 2 min until the dogs got a chance to chew them off.

Only downside for me is the extra clean up. My golden loves the water and occasionally wants to jump in when we’re picking up a rider. But she’s learned that she can only jump in when the engine is off and someone else jumps first.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

The most important thing is to teach your pet precautions. It will have to be taught how to swim and get in and out of the boat. You should also take additional equipment specifically for dogs. The most important thing is to take extra towels and a water bowl. Btw, my dog has a special USA travel policy. It accompanies me almost everywhere. I flew to my parents in another city one week ago. Snowy was on the plane with me. I am so used to her that I sometimes take her even to work with me. I hope you will find a way out.