Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

My Moomba could probably surf on that wave!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

One part of the study I agree with is the distance from shore and impact. We tube, wakeboard, and surf so I get all the wave differences. The surfers on my lake are some of the worst running up and down a shoreline when the middle of the lake is just fine. A surf session does not need perfect water just like tubing does not either. Yet all damn weekend the surfers run up and down the shore. These debates could probably be shut down with more courtesy and common sense from boaters. The big cruisers have the same impact but they don’t seem to be consumed with making laps up and down the shoreline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    The big cruisers have the same impact but they don’t seem to be consumed with making laps up and down the shoreline.

I think that is probably one of the biggest perceived differences by the folks who are upset. The cruisers and large boats shoot by a couple times, while a wake/surf boat gets on a line and goes back and forth for a significant amount of time, possibly hours. And, there may be a few boats running the line. That's just me spitballing, I haven't talked to anyone but memories are short. One passes versus multiple and which ones do you think property owners remember? Also, the loud stereos and sometimes obscene music like Sandm mentions could be other factors as well.

I agree that this could be mitigated with (un)common sense from boaters.

But I agree that surfers should be closer to the shoreline due to their lower speeds, but the surf wake should be opposite the side of boat closest to shore.
    2022 Moomba Mondo

Default Study on wakesurf boats/shoreline

One lake we surf has one surf groove, it’s centered on the lake and 300 feet from shore.

Wake really only rocks one dock and he has a wake boat on a hoist.

The other lake we constantly move and don’t grind just one part of the lake.

The 3rd lake we only surf the direction that throws the wake to the unihabited side of the lake.

I don’t get any complaints from homeowners, only fishermen.

Only time we rock out the music is in the party cove and we try to at least ask others what to play, by all means we will shut ours off and let someone else play DJ

Last edited by larry_arizona; 02-07-2022 at 12:24 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

The worst wave experience I have ever had was from two cruisers coming out of a canyon at Lake Powell while I was attempting to dock at a floating bathroom. The waves were over 5' tall in rapid succession and my boat was almost sucked under the deck of the bathroom, which would have completely smashed it.

That said, I see the perspective of those who are upset about the wakes from surf boats. When you are on a houseboat for a week inside of a canyon, it is really annoying when surf boats come by 100 ft off the back of your boat directing big waves at you all day, causing a scramble to keep things from falling over. There needs to be more discussions about courteous/lawful boating in the surf market as well, since a) Utah law says you have to maintain 150 ft. distance from other boats when running greater than wakeless speed and b) you are responsible for any damage caused by your wake. I don't think this is well understood by many boat owners and the number of new boat owners that pilot their boats like cars is really problematic.

I can see the need for some common sense regulation on where wake/surf boats can run, but this also needs to be well communicated to the new boaters.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    The worst wave experience I have ever had was from two cruisers coming out of a canyon at Lake Powell while I was attempting to dock at a floating bathroom. The waves were over 5' tall in rapid succession and my boat was almost sucked under the deck of the bathroom, which would have completely smashed it.

That said, I see the perspective of those who are upset about the wakes from surf boats. When you are on a houseboat for a week inside of a canyon, it is really annoying when surf boats come by 100 ft off the back of your boat directing big waves at you all day, causing a scramble to keep things from falling over. There needs to be more discussions about courteous/lawful boating in the surf market as well, since a) Utah law says you have to maintain 150 ft. distance from other boats when running greater than wakeless speed and b) you are responsible for any damage caused by your wake. I don't think this is well understood by many boat owners and the number of new boat owners that pilot their boats like cars is really problematic.

I can see the need for some common sense regulation on where wake/surf boats can run, but this also needs to be well communicated to the new boaters.
    Couldn't agree more. Just trying to put yourself in the other guys position and thinking about how you would like the wave, or the speed/proximity or sound of what they are doing is all you have to do. It's pretty easy to spot the people who just don't give a crap. On the lake we use, the other surf boats are usually the most courteous. And we,they, generally try to find spots away from most people to surf.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    2021 Moomba Makai
    Black Cherry Metal Flake & Fire Red
    Nibral OJ 15.5x15 Altitude/Wake prop w/1.76 trans v-drive
    Wet Sounds bow speakers & 10's on the Tower & ported sub

I probably end up surfing closer to shore and in large coves more often than the middle of the lake.

I always feel terrible when a family on a pontoon boat is trying to just cross to the other side of the lake and ends up looking like the titanic trying to get around me
    Josh
    2021 Mojo, Sold 7/15/22
    2023 Supreme S240, on order

NH did a study on wakeboats. I tried to follow the progress and had planned to go comment at the public hearing but Covid killed the last 2 meeting. The final report is interesting and highlights the importance of education boaters.
    An interesting point not captured in the final report but discussed when conducting the study was that most officially filed complaints were about the loud stereos on wake boats.
    I try to stay 300+ feet from shore and out of smaller bays.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Wakeboats = Harley’s on the Water

Lol

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan